James Maddison (now playing for Tottenham Hotspur)

The Prophet

1 minute ago, Foxedup said:

Yes, we aren’t a big club.

But we sell to them and we know what they pay for a certain quality of player.

We aren't a big club either. As in big from a level perspective, we have a massive fan base but we aren't a big club in that regard. Man United paid 80M for Maguire but that has proven to be mental. Have you just come on here to troll? 

Just now, Foxedup said:

I'm just joshing you - you've had a great model for many years (well, until the last year by the looks). I think £50m for Barnes is a pretty fair value against the market.

Guest HTT II
2 minutes ago, Foxedup said:

I’d rate your club as just as big as say Everton or Villa and indeed ourselves right now. It’s just they/we have higher ceilings. We are regarded as a big club based predominantly on gates, I think a club that has won the league and an FA Cup and done well in Europe recently and has generally performed better than some of the so-called other non top six big clubs should equally qualify as a big club, if attendances are one of the measures…

15 minutes ago, duo said:

I think they need to sell 'a player' and atm it's between Maddison and Fofana - I think they'd prefer to sell Maddison over the two but it'll boil down to who is willing to pay what they feel the player is worth.  Chelsea have cash to burn atm so can't see it being an issue paying their price for Fofana. 

There are plenty of assets we can sell outside those if we needed to.

What is most likely to happen unless massive bids come in, is that we loan about 6 players out near the end of the window and bring in a winger. And that’s that, unless an offer for Soyuncu or Tielemans comes in. 

Guest HTT II
3 minutes ago, STM said:

Honestly, think this is the first time one member of this forum has made me think twice about coming in here. Ah man, it's genuinely upset me because this place has been part of my life for so long.

Stop being a fanny, the fucking pair of yous! 

6 minutes ago, Abacus said:

Yeah, thanks for the reply.

I think we're probably hoping to go in a similar direction re the training ground and off field investment. And probably hampered in similar ways in the short term, despite having the funds to go faster, if allowed.

Which is frustrating for a manager as they are judged on the here and now. But, I suppose, long term, is the only real way to grow the club.

Interesting about the manager role maybe having too much influence. I'd always been dead against a DOF type role, but I can kind of see the advantages to putting a brake / being a corrective on the manager now.

We had a model of everyone was basically employed by the club, and were club men rather than the managers men. Then we let them go and replaced them with Rodgers people. I don’t think it works as when the manager goes (and they will), you end up replacing half your scouts, back room and fitness team etc. 

8 minutes ago, The College Dropout said:

Then why we not looking at players' from Europe? Based on what we know anyway.

Well, I'd be surprised if we weren't also looking at multiple players simultaneously, in Europe and elsewhere given we now have the back office team to help with that. I doubt we're just going from one target to the next.

Whether we get JM or not (and I'd love him to sign now too), don't forget this came out of a clear blue sky with no-one really knowing about it beforehand.

Plus, we don't seem to mind coming back to deals later on (like with Botman - not sure there's much we could have done re Ekitike).

4 minutes ago, mighty__mag said:

Dubs might play a big part in this transfer now Schmeichel is off to Nice.

They targeted Leno who signed for Fulham, now they will need to either go with Ward as no1 or Dubravka as part ex possibly?

Just thought 

Iverson is very highly regarded and was player of the season on loan at Preston and has won it elsewhere whilst on loan. More likely we give him a shot. We have more pressing concerns at right wing.

Kasper was on the slide and we conceded an obscene amount of set pieces off the back of it. 

1 hour ago, STM said:

My subtle point is that I wouldn't sell Bruno for 100m but we signed him for less than 40m in January.

So if we signed Bruno for less than 40m just a few months ago, why would we now pay 60m for someone of comparable talent?

home grown and premier league proven possibly.

13 minutes ago, Coffee_Johnny said:

Are you from Glasgow? Do Celtic or Rangers have any forwards or versatile midfielders who we could sign? ?

I’m not from there, just a long time fan of passive aggressive Scotsmen. 

13 minutes ago, Foxedup said:

Iverson is very highly regarded and was player of the season on loan at Preston and has won it elsewhere whilst on loan. More likely we give him a shot. We have more pressing concerns at right wing.

Kasper was on the slide and we conceded an obscene amount of set pieces off the back of it. 

We had similar with Woodman at Swansea, he did excellent, but turned out he probably wasn't ready for the prem still.

It's not always easy for keepers.

Come home from a day at graft to an absolute veritable feast of new pages in this thread...

...only to find absolute ructions and everyone has took their ball home.

Gutted, gan to bed me.

Guest HTT II
24 minutes ago, STM said:

Talk to me about sharks. That will cheer me up. :aww:

A White Shark is quicker than Botman, it can swim upto 35mph. 

50 minutes ago, Fantail Breeze said:

I don’t entirely disagree but my argument is that we do need someone fully adapted to the PL if we want to be as ambitious as possible.

Maddison, imo, would lift us from fighting for top half to European contention.

I suppose it depends on whether that is a priority for the owners or if they’re happy with a consolidation season. Being a supporter, obviously I want to strive for the best.

This bit I don't agree with. It all depends on how good a job the recruitment team do of finding someone outside of the Premier League that can adapt to the league. We've just recently seen that with Bruno. And so I don't think it is anywhere near as clear cut as you've stated.

I can only see Leicester having a worse year this year. Its not that they don't have good players, it just seems like there is a bit of disharmony amongst fans, lack of signings, manager on the brink, money issues and from an NUFC stand point, that leads to poor performances on the pitch.

I'd wager they have a bad start, sack Rodgers and then climb up to mid table, then they can reinvest next summer.

There's a couple of other clubs I think will have a slump, Brighton and Wolves to name a couple.