James Maddison (now playing for Tottenham Hotspur)

The Prophet

Just now, gdm said:

are we forgetting Downie, Graves, caulkin & hope were all in jesmond dene house with Staveley and co before any news of the takeover broke. They obviously have sources within the regime. I think people don’t want to listen because it’s not what they want to hear and it doesn’t tally up with their view of things. I’ll keep an open mind but as someone said hope was spot on with the lawyer appointment and the Carrick brother appointment why wouldn’t he know about transfers 

Possibly because nobody from within the club is telling him any facts about a private matter. Eg: ”here’s how much we’re going to bid and in what increments” guesswork at best regarding the numbers (and yes they may guess close) 

Just now, gdm said:

are we forgetting Downie, Graves, caulkin & hope were all in jesmond dene house with Staveley and co before any news of the takeover broke. They obviously have sources within the regime. I think people don’t want to listen because it’s not what they want to hear and it doesn’t tally up with their view of things. I’ll keep an open mind but as someone said hope was spot on with the lawyer appointment and the Carrick brother appointment why wouldn’t he know about transfers 

The information they get has no direct effect on the club's transfer business. There is no way on earth they are going to discuss their actual budget and transfer targets with journalists and if you think that then you're living in cloud cuckoo land. 

What Hope was really saying was that the club could do with being reminded what life is like with an injured Wilson. He doesn't really want him injured, he just wants another striker.

1 minute ago, The Prophet said:

They'll be tactical about what they leak. I know we have different theories about the budget, etc, but I I can't get my head around why anyone in the consortium would leak our actual budget.

Me either but proof is in the pudding so far we’ve been put off/walked away from Diaby, Harrison, sesko, Toney, DCL, Paqueta and now Maddison and haven’t seemed to have bid over £40m

1 minute ago, Interpolic said:

Definitely elevated by Deputy Dawg UK being a seemingly jovial, (borderline ridiculous) username. 

Not sure if it was you IP but I remember saying  to someone who had fallen asleep or similar before our first win in ages. Saying that next time please don’t wake up at all.  Wasn’t meant to be brutal or anything :lol: 

2 minutes ago, PauloGeordio said:

Possibly because nobody from within the club is telling him any facts about a private matter. Eg: ”here’s how much we’re going to bid and in what increments” guesswork at best regarding the numbers (and yes they may guess close) 

It’s not just hope tho, almost every journo who reports on newcastle have spoke about this budget. Douglas, edwards, hope, Waugh, downie and graves. Are they all making it up or have they been briefed ? 

Just now, gdm said:

Me either but proof is in the pudding so far we’ve been put off/walked away from Diaby, Harrison, sesko, Toney, DCL, Paqueta and now Maddison and haven’t seemed to have bid over £40m

Half of those players there has be no confirmation we were actually in for them. You forgot about another 30 plus players to add to that list also.

1 minute ago, gdm said:

It’s not just hope tho, almost every journo who reports on newcastle have spoke about this budget. Douglas, edwards, hope, Waugh, downie and graves. Are they all making it up or have they been briefed ? 

100% the latter. 

6 hours ago, Tomato Deuce said:

Some of y’all need to log off for a minute, goddamn.

Some posters certainly seem to post pretty much the same thing hundreds of times a day like, ridiculing anyone who has a different opinion.  

Trying to read through bits of this thread as I don't spend my whole life on the internet but it's fucking tiring [emoji38]

1 minute ago, Sean said:

Some posters certainly seem to post pretty much the same thing hundreds of times a day like, ridiculing anyone who has a different opinion.  

Trying to read through bits of this thread as I don't spend my whole life on the internet but it's fucking tiring [emoji38]

The proof in the pudding (as I've always maintained) will be on the 1st September. That's the only time anyone can really take stock of our transfer business.

An FFP budget* makes no sense anyway, as different players will effect it in different ways. A 32 year old will have a greater impact than a 20 year old for example, as any money you put into the 32yr old is essentially dead, the 20 year old could be sold in 2 years time for a percentage of whatever they were bought for (either above or below 100%). The odds our owners and their accountants have just went "40 million, aye?" seem canny low.

*well you could budget for it, but it would be an incredible complex algorithm, not a single figure.

7 minutes ago, Sean said:

It's usually best to just read the last page. You rarely miss anything important.

I'm a rare poster on here. To summarise my thoughts:

We now have the right people at the helm. Credible, experienced and respected in the game.

If Eddie wants a player, and the player wants to come, we will get him.

17 minutes ago, Ikon said:

Not sure if it was you IP but I remember saying  to someone who had fallen asleep or similar before our first win in ages. Saying that next time please don’t wake up at all.  Wasn’t meant to be brutal or anything :lol: 

:lol: I can't remember but I do fall asleep at least once a day so it was probably me, aye. 

Edited by Interpolic

The journos have probably been briefed something about £40m but is that the actual pot or is that to temper expectations both of supporters and selling clubs? There could be a number of reasons they've been briefed that or it could be black and white and any additional players will have to be loans, there's only a hand full of people that truly know and we won't know until (a) we spend more than that or (b) the window shuts in September us having spent a maximum of £40m.

Let's see how the season starts and where that leaves the owners resolve, also who becomes available as the window gets closer to shutting and clubs settle on their teams and who is surplus to requirements. 

13 minutes ago, JLC said:

I'm a rare poster on here. To summarise my thoughts:

We now have the right people at the helm. Credible, experienced and respected in the game.

If Eddie wants a player, and the player wants to come, we will get him.

Unless those above chuck in silly lowball bids and get a nose bleed when the deal goes a £ past 40 million.

34 minutes ago, Sean said:

Why don’t you do a really long Yawn 

Ashworth would