James Maddison (now playing for Tottenham Hotspur)

The Prophet

2 minutes ago, TheBrownBottle said:

I do think he’s less scattergun than the tabloid hack, but completely agree that he’s a bit of a cunt

He's pretty scattergun. In our first transfer window under the new ownership he linked us with the likes of Perraud, Philips, Tarkowski, Holding, Elneny and Nketiah.

1 minute ago, The Prophet said:

He's pretty scattergun. In our first transfer window under the new ownership he linked us with the likes of Perraud, Philips, Tarkowski, Holding, Elneny and Nketiah.

Yeah, fair enough :) though of course there is a good chance we were genuinely interested in some of them.  

2 hours ago, The Prophet said:

Szoboszlai has more natural ability, but comes with the Bundesliga flop warning.

That's a tricky one.

I wonder if our perception of BL players has been adversely affected by the Chelsea signings of Pulisic,  Werner and Havertz?

Fwiw, I'm pretty sure I said at the time that Werner was a very risky one. Apart from pace he doesn't have much else that raises him significantly above the average player to have justified his price tag. 

Havertz has got quality but it's not working out at Chelsea. Lots of potential reasons there though.

Also Joelinton. As a forward, I think we can consider him a flop. If we're being honest. 

On the other side you have players like Son, De Bruyne, Firmino, Konate, Matip and Guendogan.

I'm trying to keep this to current or very recent players rather than going back to Ballack, Mertasacker, Kompany, Can, etc.

The BL is definitely a lower level than the Prem. Munich and Dortmund apart. It's a bit slower so quick players can look better there. But I'm not so sure it's a high risk league to buy from if you do your research and the club culture the player is moving to is supportive and has a good management team to help the player adapt and develop.

1 hour ago, Lotus said:

That's a tricky one.

I wonder if our perception of BL players has been adversely affected by the Chelsea signings of Pulisic,  Werner and Havertz?

Fwiw, I'm pretty sure I said at the time that Werner was a very risky one. Apart from pace he doesn't have much else that raises him significantly above the average player to have justified his price tag. 

Havertz has got quality but it's not working out at Chelsea. Lots of potential reasons there though.

Also Joelinton. As a forward, I think we can consider him a flop. If we're being honest. 

On the other side you have players like Son, De Bruyne, Firmino, Konate, Matip and Guendogan.

I'm trying to keep this to current or very recent players rather than going back to Ballack, Mertasacker, Kompany, Can, etc.

The BL is definitely a lower level than the Prem. Munich and Dortmund apart. It's a bit slower so quick players can look better there. But I'm not so sure it's a high risk league to buy from if you do your research and the club culture the player is moving to is supportive and has a good management team to help the player adapt and develop.

Recently there's been a few big money 'flops' from Bundesliga - the ones you mentioned + Sancho, Keita and probably more. 

I do actually agree with you though. I'd argue Keita is the most shocking as Liverpool tended to do extremely well in the transfer market under Edwards, but with the correct thorough scouting & coaching there's no reason why the top Bundesliga players can't replicate/enhance their stats & production from over there.

58 minutes ago, timnufc22 said:

Would rather Harvey Barnes.

We don’t need him - have ASM - Gordon - Big Joe - Isak who can all play on the left 

Priorities are elsewhere unless we sign a LW that is an elite level player 

I’d rather sign Chukwueze for the RW role and have a Maddison type player that can cover 2/3 positions 

59 minutes ago, Lotus said:

That's a tricky one.

Sancho. Haaland. Haller. Bailey. Meyer.

De Bruyne, Son, Gundo etc. is another era.

The last 5 years it's the Chelsea lot, Konate etc.

2 hours ago, Mikky said:

We don’t need him - have ASM - Gordon - Big Joe - Isak who can all play on the left 

Priorities are elsewhere unless we sign a LW that is an elite level player 

I’d rather sign Chukwueze for the RW role and have a Maddison type player that can cover 2/3 positions 

From what I've seen I think Barnes would fit into the no8 position really well. 

On 12/05/2023 at 11:43, Tsunami said:

I don’t think Leicester fans rate Barnes that highly. Eye catching moments but generally offers little.

Some don't rate him, others do. Even in a team that's been so poor this season he's still managed to score double figures. I think he's seen though as a player who doesn't track back and help in defence when the team struggles, which has been quite common lately. I'd prefer us to keep him over Madders, as he seems to be more robust and comes back quickly from injuries. Realistically though someone will move for him if we go down. More a Villa or Spurs type I suspect, but you may want him if Gordon doesn't work out.

I think I'd prefer it if we avoided Maddison, and anyone from that dreadful Leicester team. I was all for Maddison all season but his attitude has been absolutely shit when Leicester needed him to stand up and be counted. I'm not sure I want a player like that here when there are other options out there. He obviously has the talent of course.