James Maddison (now playing for Tottenham Hotspur)

The Prophet

7 hours ago, Interpolic said:

Leicester finished 9th, 5th, 5th, 8th in Maddison's first 4 seasons at Leicester (and won an FA Cup) - to ignore that and put their relegation last season at his and Barnes' door is about as reductive as disregarding Howe's record at Bournemouth other than the relegation season at the end. 

There were lots of things fundamentally wrong at Leicester last season - well publicised financial issues last summer, Rodgers' methods can eventually stop working as we've seen before, the managerial change was left quite late and was lacklustre, and there was a real imbalance in the squad with lack of nous and leadership towards the end. 

Maddison has been a standout PL performer for many years now and I personally don't count last season as much of a black mark against him, if at all. Would be delighted if we signed him, and trust Howe would have no issues fitting him in. 

We finished 4th and a cup final without them and they’ve been playing in a consistently better team yet best they got was 5th so does that not say something about the players we already have here ?

You can always argue stuff like that both ways and I’m certainly not putting their relegation solely at their door but there’s got to be questions asked of them as they were part of the collective. Lot of Leicester fans were mention on here questioning him and his attitude for parts of the season. You can’t say they were completely blameless. They might of been successful going one way as per stats show but what about the other way which is needed the way we play.

He will have more chance of standing out if he takes all the FKs. Penalties and set pieces. If he came here he’d quite likely be off all 3. Possibly the odd FK and corner. Look at the difference of Bruno Fernandez either side of Ronaldo signing and leaving to see my point. If we assume so then we are left focusing on the rest of his game. He’d bring some more potency from long range possibly and has an eye for a pass. So possibly a more mobile Shelvey ?

It’s going to be a fascinating watch either way. I just wonder however us getting ECL so quickly has worked against us wanting to sign him more than him now wanting to the move. So despite not qualifying Spurs are still in with a very good shout of signing him.

If he’s coming as a 3rd quality midfielder addition and happy to play squad rotation then fair enough but I think he’s at an age he will be expecting to start every game. This and the talk is we are only going to make two quality midfield signings is what is making me think and I guess hope we look elsewhere if having to be smart with our money. That and I think Gordon and even Willock will play at times more centrally than they have previously.

Anyway if he’s picked next game I might force myself to watch England and see if I can warm to him as a player a bit more. Not seen him do much previously in an England shirt but I’m guessing that’s down to him not getting much of a look in then unfortunately timed injuries at the World Cup.

This whole he has to be held a little responsible because he was part of the team that went down - I’m assuming people who are saying that have no time for the likes of joelington then because that’s where we were heading when Howe came in. 

There can be loads of things causing a team to go down and saying “don’t but player a because they went down” a massively simplifying it.

we are a champions league team now.

we need top quality players in the squad and on the bench, not even to go straight into our first 11.

whats the point going for average.

if we get maddison and a top class midfielder for around 100m we're laughing.

we really struggled most when our midfielders were injured.

we need a CB too. i'm sure we could find the money for one if we had too.

9 minutes ago, Theregulars said:

Perhaps the idea is to expand our formation options: you’ve constantly got to evolve (as Howe has said). 

We can do that with someone better and possibly cheaper though if smart about it?

41 minutes ago, Gawalls said:

This whole he has to be held a little responsible because he was part of the team that went down - I’m assuming people who are saying that have no time for the likes of joelington then because that’s where we were heading when Howe came in. 

There can be loads of things causing a team to go down and saying “don’t but player a because they went down” a massively simplifying it.

Never said this at all. Not sure anyone has. It’s clearly not that simple and I’ve tried to nuance where I can without turning into war & peace. Think you’ve assumed a few things ?

12 minutes ago, LFEE said:

We can do that with someone better and possibly cheaper though if smart about it?

Never said this at all. Not sure anyone has. It’s clearly not that simple and I’ve tried to nuance where I can without turning into war & peace. Think you’ve assumed a few things ?

Very possibly, I don’t follow football outside of NUFC or Barca in enough detail to know though. When I’ve watched Maddison I’ve seen a special talent, but have no feel for what he’s like defensively / in particular systems. I would say that any player we are seriously in for will have been subject to a very thorough character and attitude analysis, so if he passes that then good to go. 

re: money I don’t think any transfer fees reported to us are real, and I don’t think any reports of our budget are either. Very much a situation of just enjoy the summer and see where we are come august.

21 minutes ago, Theregulars said:

Very possibly, I don’t follow football outside of NUFC or Barca in enough detail to know though. When I’ve watched Maddison I’ve seen a special talent, but have no feel for what he’s like defensively / in particular systems. I would say that any player we are seriously in for will have been subject to a very thorough character and attitude analysis, so if he passes that then good to go. 

re: money I don’t think any transfer fees reported to us are real, and I don’t think any reports of our budget are either. Very much a situation of just enjoy the summer and see where we are come august.

Interesting you mention character because years ago when he was at Norwich (I think) I wouldn’t have touched him with a barge pole and come across as a Beckham wannabe. Since lockdown etc I have to say he’s come across very honest and real in his interviews etc and has won me over on that front. Definitely seems to be maturing and a good egg. Still too much of a peacock on the pitch for me still ?

I agree transfer fees just seem a convenient money launder of sorts these days.

4 hours ago, Whitley mag said:

Unfortunately it’ll just be like the Chinese league and players taking a last pension fund, the big clubs will be rubbing their hands at the chance to get rid of big earners near the end of their contract.

Not sure like - this feels different. 

There's an argument to be made that the outrageous sums thrown around in transfer fees (essentially the cost of breaking an existing contract) could be invested in scouting. 

34 minutes ago, LFEE said:

Interesting you mention character because years ago when he was at Norwich (I think) I wouldn’t have touched him with a barge pole and come across as a Beckham wannabe. Since lockdown etc I have to say he’s come across very honest and real in his interviews etc and has won me over on that front. Definitely seems to be maturing and a good egg. Still too much of a peacock on the pitch for me still ?

I agree transfer fees just seem a convenient money launder of sorts these days.

This just tells me that you don’t know ball. 

3 hours ago, The College Dropout said:

This just tells me that you don’t know ball. 

I wouldn't be so disrespectful to LFEE mate. Maddison has always looked good enough for the league, but I don't think it's unfair to question his credentials as a top four player. 

He was basically given the keys of the Leicester City attack. His goal involvement numbers are exactly what I'd expect for a player we're looking at to step in and help us make last season the rule rather than the exception. The questions that need to be asked are; can be that guy when we play a team like Leeds at home that want to frustrate the shit out of us? Is he able to step up to the Champions League level? Is he able and willing to play the 8 role like we currently have been doing so. We can't pay 40m for a 10 to use in certain occasions. 

Edited by Viana

7 hours ago, The College Dropout said:

This is different to China. China had foreign player caps. Saudi have some level of proven pedigree in sports. 

Not sure what it will end up like but it’s not the same as  the Chinese thing. 

Saudi has a foreign player cap too (7 per team). This is to increase to 8.

2 minutes ago, Max Cherry said:

Surely we see movement this week? Once the England shite has finished. Leicester will want it sorted too. 

Think it depends on their asking price. If they're still asking for a fee no one will pay (50m+) then I can see it dragging on. The further into the window we get the more twitchy they become/the more likely the fee is to drop to something we deem acceptable. 

1 minute ago, sushimonster85 said:

Think it depends on their asking price. If they're still asking for a fee no one will pay (50m+) then I can see it dragging on. The further into the window we get the more twitchy they become/the more likely the fee is to drop to something we deem acceptable. 

Agreed but can see us just walking away if it drags on too much, I'd imagine Howe wants new signings by the time we go to America. 

1 hour ago, sushimonster85 said:

Yeah, I think we’ve shown thus far (January windows aside) that we’ll wait until the deal suits us rather than pay the premium to get things done quicker.