James Maddison (now playing for Tottenham Hotspur)

The Prophet

4 hours ago, Karjala said:

Two big ifs, but if we signed Maddison and Wilson stayed fit, it would be the difference between 8th and 5th.

I’d say more the difference between 12th and 8th 

Their Journos are saying that “senior sources” have made it clear that he is not for sale. For whatever that’s worth. Probably nothing.

Don’t see this one going through at all. We won’t go anywhere near what they’re looking for unfortunately.

Just now, McCormick said:

Their Journos are saying that “senior sources” have made it clear that he is not for sale. For whatever that’s worth. Probably nothing.

Don’t see this one going through at all. We won’t go anywhere near what they’re looking for unfortunately.

Journos are all over the place, clearly  they know fuck all.

52 minutes ago, LV said:

I’d say more the difference between 12th and 8th 

So you think 8th is the best we can achieve this season?

I'd be happy with 8th, and won't be telling everyone i think we can get above that, but i think we have a chance of 6th or 7th if everyone stayed fit. 5th wouldn't be impossible, although admittedly very unlikely.

Just now, Manxst said:

Augustinsson and Olsen also

Aye just had a look. Both back ups them. You'd think villa had signed a full starting 11. Don't think they've veen linked with half as many players as us since they done their  business early

9 minutes ago, Karjala said:

I'd be happy with 8th, and won't be telling everyone i think we can get above that, but i think we have a chance of 6th or 7th if everyone stayed fit. 5th wouldn't be impossible, although admittedly very unlikely.

Yeah I do. 

I think that’s our ball park ceiling, if we sign Maddison and a striker/winger.

I think with the current squad as it is we would get somewhere between 12th-10th

I mean, who knows in reality. It’s just a gut feeling. 

11 minutes ago, McCormick said:

The same journos that leaked the bid though? Seems like we’re selectively believing them when it’s good news.

I can believe them when they say a bid has went in or has been rejected, but I don't see how Hope would have any idea about any 'budget', or how much we value a player.

It seems pretty unlikely those things would be properly discussed with anyone outside of the club's transfer circle.

Given that our bids, if the reports are true of 35mill and around 40mill, seem unrealistically low, I wonder if we are trying to back load on realistic add ons. For example 40mill with an extra 7mill on top half finish, 5mill on Euro qualification, 5mill on a certain amount of England caps etc

I'm sure I read that the Trippier deal was done with a very healthy add on of avoiding relegation.

Just now, Hanshithispantz said:

I can believe them when they say a bid has went in or has been rejected, but I don't see how Hope would have any idea about any 'budget', or how much we value a player.

It seems pretty unlikely those things would be properly discussed with anyone outside of the club's transfer circle.

It’s looking more and more likely we do have a set budget though and the journalist will have been correct. Regardless there is still plenty left in it to fill the positions we need.

Just now, madras said:

Given that our bids, if the reports are true of 35mill and around 40mill, seem unrealistically low, I wonder if we are trying to back load on realistic add ons. For example 40mill with an extra 7mill on top half finish, 5mill on Euro qualification, 5mill on a certain amount of England caps etc

I'm sure I read that the Trippier deal was done with a very healthy add on of avoiding relegation.

Yeah you’re right on the Trippier one, was quite a sizeable chunk I think 

The 'richest of the rich' Man City have just walked away from Cucurella because they don't think he's worth 50mil and wouldn't go above their bid of 40m. The two elite clubs in the country, City and Liverpool, both operate like this. If our recruitment don't value Maddison at 60m then so be it, us fans need to learn to accept that our owners will do this. Yet they are still taking us in absolutely the right direction.

22 minutes ago, Karjala said:

If we finish 8th it’ll be a damn miracle tbh. 

3 minutes ago, JP said:

The 'richest of the rich' Man City have just walked away from Cucurella because they don't think he's worth 50mil and wouldn't go above their bid of 40m. The two elite clubs in the country, City and Liverpool, both operate like this. If our recruitment don't value Maddison at 60m then so be it, us fans need to learn to accept that our owners will do this. Yet they are still taking us in absolutely the right direction.

Just pay it man!!11

7 minutes ago, JP said:

Not quite comparable tbh, 50 million for a left back and 60 for one of the best midfielders in the country are quite different. 

The only reason why I could think we'd walk away, is that we saw an opportunity to low ball Leicester, knowing we had alternatives to fall back on. It seems unlikely given Stavely has always spoken about doing things the correct way along with Ashworth's reputation.

Generally we've only walked away from deals where we feel like we're being messed about, which isn't the case here. Given talks are allegedly ongoing, I think either Leicester are willing to accept a lower fee than they're letting on, or we're willing to bid more than the press are reporting.

Edited by The Prophet