James Maddison (now playing for Tottenham Hotspur)

The Prophet

1 hour ago, Coffee_Johnny said:

Given:

we banged out a ridiculously good 19 games, which gave us the third highest points accrued in that half season;

we have improved the squad;

Howe and team know the team better and have had a preseason; 

the established system and style of play preseason;

and my belief that we will add at least two forward players this month. 
Even taking into account other teams improvement, I think 5-8th is achievable. 

The other teams have improved their squads too and we can’t expect to produce the same overachievement unless we are operating an in environment where we are facing exactly the same circumstances/ fixtures etc that we did back then.

It’s a whole new environment. 

I’d love it if we achieved 5th, love it! But I can’t see it without quite a few more top quality additions. 

Then again, who actually knows! 

1 hour ago, Conjo said:

Using Brunos alleged need for instant success (which he himself has disputed) as an argument for paying more than the club is prepared to do for players is one of the most boring arguments I read on here.

If you are referring to what I said then, I never said we should pay over the odds.  I just said if we aren't in the europa league in 2 years he might rethink his position. 

7 minutes ago, sushimonster85 said:

Tend to agree. Think if we were going back in with a third bid that would have been reported by now. 

The difference now is that we are being ran by competent people that know who, how and why to sign players, 4 weeks of the window left and personally I would like our squad complete by the time we play Forest, that's impossible now but I'm still confident that our squad will be strong by 1st September 

21 minutes ago, LV said:

The other teams have improved their squads too and we can’t expect to produce the same overachievement unless we are operating an in environment where we are facing exactly the same circumstances/ fixtures etc that we did back then.

It’s a whole new environment. 

I’d love it if we achieved 5th, love it! But I can’t see it without quite a few more top quality additions. 

Then again, who actually knows! 

Totally agree, wouldn’t be wise to expect to carry on where we left off. In fact, I do wonder whether there has ever been such a season of two halves:

10 points after 19 games (10 at home); form, which if continued, would have meant 20 points, relegation in 20th place, bottom by 2 points;

39 points from 19 games (9 at home); form which, if continued across a whole season, would have meant 78 points and a third place finish (4 points above Chelsea, who finished 3rd and an incredible 20 points above Man Utd who finished 6th. 

But I am not saying that only Liverpool and Man City will do better than us. I am saying that taking into account everything, it doesn’t seem ridiculous to aspire to a finish between 5-8th place. 

Man City, Spurs, Liverpool, Chelsea are all way beyond us. Man Utd and Arsenal should be but both have it in them to cock it up. West Ham are the best of the rest and everything going well should be finishing above us - great squad and manager who seems to get it right for the most part.

Leicester, Wolves, Brighton, Palace and Villa have strong squads and good managers (except Gerrard who is unproven) but none of them seem to fully click. We can finish above any of them 

Edited by Hanshithispantz

1 hour ago, Kid Icarus said:

fivethirtyeight and Nate Silver are perhaps the world's biggest stat nonces and regardless of what they might tell you about the algorithm, are essentially only giving you probability based on the existing conditions.

Their model grossly underestimated the Warriors, having them as one of the least likely of the top 8 teams of winning the championship. Nearly Every other predictor had them as one of the title favorites going into the playoffs. They even had an article why their algorithm grossly underestimated who would become the NBA champions.

I can see Wolves struggling a bit this season. Not relegation battling but lower midtable; only signed Nathan Collins, Jiminez out for the first month of the season at least, Chiquinho has tore his ACL and they were dogshit in the last couple of months of last season.

Brighton still will have goalscoring issues given their lack of a striker, lost Bissouma and Cucurella. Think they'll be upper midtable though still.

Palace look a pretty exciting side going forward tbf. Eze has had a good pre season, only lost 12 games last season though they did draw a lot. Top 10 push for them imo.

Villa are a bit unknown, no idea how good Carlos is, I wanted us to get Kamara but they got him and they have good options in attack. Though other managers like Howe will have the better of Gerrard imo. Can see them top half though.

Leicester are being underrated by a few on social media I think. They had many injuries last season; no Fofana, lost Evans, Vardy and Justin for a while and were in European competition all the way up to May yet they still finished 8th. Most of those injured players are back fit. This could obviously change if Maddison ends up here but as it stands right now I'd say they'd finish above us.

11 minutes ago, Coffee_Johnny said:

Totally agree, wouldn’t be wise to expect to carry on where we left off. In fact, I do wonder whether there has ever been such a season of two halves:

10 points after 19 games (10 at home); form, which if continued, would have meant 20 points, relegation in 20th place, bottom by 2 points;

39 points from 19 games (9 at home); form which, if continued across a whole season, would have meant 78 points and a third place finish (4 points above Chelsea, who finished 3rd and an incredible 20 points above Man Utd who finished 6th. 

But I am not saying that only Liverpool and Man City will do better than us. I am saying that taking into account everything, it doesn’t seem ridiculous to aspire to a finish between 5-8th place. 

The main thing for me was how relatively easy we made it look to nulify most of the league. I don't think it was luck and I don't think it's something managers can just counter next season. Most teams aren't good enough on the ball to effectively play against well organised pressing.

51 minutes ago, HaydnNUFC said:

I can see Wolves struggling a bit this season. Not relegation battling but lower midtable; only signed Nathan Collins, Jiminez out for the first month of the season at least, Chiquinho has tore his ACL and they were dogshit in the last couple of months of last season.

Brighton still will have goalscoring issues given their lack of a striker, lost Bissouma and Cucurella. Think they'll be upper midtable though still.

Palace look a pretty exciting side going forward tbf. Eze has had a good pre season, only lost 12 games last season though they did draw a lot. Top 10 push for them imo.

Villa are a bit unknown, no idea how good Carlos is, I wanted us to get Kamara but they got him and they have good options in attack. Though other managers like Howe will have the better of Gerrard imo. Can see them top half though.

Leicester are being underrated by a few on social media I think. They had many injuries last season; no Fofana, lost Evans, Vardy and Justin for a while and were in European competition all the way up to May yet they still finished 8th. Most of those injured players are back fit. This could obviously change if Maddison ends up here but as it stands right now I'd say they'd finish above us.

The expected points table of last season was really interesting. Wolves, Leicester and us were the biggest over-achievers but seeing Wolves at 17th and Leicester at 15th is surprising to say the least. Based on that and neither of them really strengthening this summer especially Wolves could be in for a rough season. Both had injuries and Leicester had the European campaign but it's still not looking very good.

Crystal Palace and Brenford were the surprising under-achievers, 6th and 7th.

Edit. Wolves should have conceded a staggering 15 goals more. Hard to see Sa being able to replicate the ridiculous season he had last season.

xg20212022.PNG

Edited by Pata

5 minutes ago, JonBez comesock said:

I am still hoping for an out of the blue - Paqueta deal - Agreed ??

That would make my weekend 

Looks like Silva is likely to leave city, Paqueta favourite to replace him there.