James Maddison (now playing for Tottenham Hotspur)

The Prophet

I know we have a long term plan and I applaud that 

However we have to realise we are in a very tough league with lots of teams , with lots of money 

Man City , Liverpool , spurs , Chelsea , arsenal , man united will continue to spend and spend big.

We can try to catch up but they will always continue to strengthen 

All of the teams in Europe / at the top have mega wealthy owners 

if you have owners worth 500 billion or 50 billion , it doesn’t really matter.

Once you get past 20/30 billion and have ambition that’s enough to attract top top players !!

Edited by JonBez comesock

5 minutes ago, ChrisMcQuillan said:

Possibly wishful thinking, however supposedly the initial bid (and presumably rejection) was put to press by Leicester, not us. Newcastle didn't want it public.

Might it be possible that if a 3rd bid was in the process of being lodged, or even has been lodged and is being negotiated rather than rejected, Leicester wouldn't put it out there as they don't intend to reject.

Just thinking this might be one where it goes quiet before "Agreement reached" gets announced.

As I say, probably wishful thinking.

I think Leicester would have released a statement or leaked something if he wasn't getting sold or likely to be sold.

We've got people tying themselves in knots to explain why not signing any attackers would be perfectly fine.

Nobody expected crazy signings and a squad full of 50 mil players, but if we get to the end of this window having not signed any attackers (which is looking likely whether you admit it or not) then its a huge fuck up and is holding us back from building a bit of momentum with some quality players.

IMO I think it's fairly obvious our business was going to be the three we've signed plus Ekitike, that was the plan and when that went tits up we didn't have a backup plan, and that coupled with the fact we don't want to pay the going rate for players means we are stuck in limbo.

Our two most productive attacking players are very injury prone and I wouldn't be putting bets down on improving on our 11th placed finish last season if we have this squad by Sep 1st.

This whole craic of putting words in peoples mouths and ridiculing their opinions, saying things like they are pissing their pants is fucking grim like.

FWIW hardly anyone is "pissing their pants", any perceived criticism seems to really get to a lot of people.

The window is going 100% according to plan, we couldn't possibly have done anything different/better, we aimed to have no attacking players in by now. That's what a lot seem to want to hear :lol:

2 minutes ago, Tiotes Witch Doctor said:

We've got people tying themselves in knots to explain why not signing any attackers would be perfectly fine.

Nobody expected crazy signings and a squad full of 50 mil players, but if we get to the end of this window having not signed any attackers (which is looking likely whether you admit it or not) then its a huge fuck up and is holding us back from building a bit of momentum with some quality players.

IMO I think it's fairly obvious our business was going to be the three we've signed plus Ekitike, that was the plan and when that went tits up we didn't have a backup plan, and that coupled with the fact we don't want to pay the going rate for players means we are stuck in limbo.

Our two most productive attacking players are very injury prone and I wouldn't be putting bets down on improving on our 11th placed finish last season if we have this squad by Sep 1st.

Who's saying signing that signing no attackers would be perfectly fine though?

2 hours ago, madras said:

Sports writer, mainly football going on holiday for the opening weekend of the premier league season ? Fuck me that's like a Prime Minister going on Holiday at the start of a pande ....... sigh.

Or a teacher putting a fortnight in September in that strikes me as so unprofessional  he works for the Torygraph  though so who gives a fuck 

2 minutes ago, Sean said:

This whole craic of putting words in peoples mouths and ridiculing their opinions, saying things like they are pissing their pants is fucking grim like.

FWIW hardly anyone is "pissing their pants", any perceived criticism seems to really get to a lot of people.

The window is going 100% according to plan, we couldn't possibly have done anything different/better, we aimed to have no attacking players in by now. That's what a lot seem to want to hear :lol:

Isn’t that you also putting words in people’s mouths and ridiculing their opinions? :lol:

4 minutes ago, The Prophet said:

Who's saying signing that signing no attackers would be perfectly fine though?

Tbf it's mainly twitter conversations, but even some on this forum seem to think everything is perfectly fine and going to plan, and those voicing IMO legitimate concerns about how we are failing to have a good transfer window are bed wetters apparently.

Very frustrated, I honestly expected better than what we've seen so far.

Edited by Tiotes Witch Doctor

I mean we obviously will sign attackers, whether we all are happy with whoever they may be is a different question, but I’d be gobsmacked if we get to September 1st without at least 1 forward signed 

1 minute ago, Tiotes Witch Doctor said:

Tbf it's mainly twitter conversations, but even some on this forum seem to think everything is perfectly fine and going to plan, and those voicing IMO legitimate concerns about how we are failing to have a good transfer window are bed wetters apparently.

Everyone who expresses an opinion is a bed wetter apparently ^^

5 minutes ago, Tiotes Witch Doctor said:

Don't have to tie any knots. We've got two PL players in every position except the 3rd midfielder [I don't class Matty as PL]. However you rate our 2nd choice striker he contributed to all but two of the games that saw the team collect the 3rd highest points over the second half of the season. Ideally we would get a young prospect to develop in time to replace Wilson, but it's not a necessity. 

Just now, Happinesstan said:

Don't have to tie any knots. We've got two PL players in every position except the 3rd midfielder [I don't class Matty as PL]. However you rate our 2nd choice striker he contributed to all but two of the games that saw the team collect the 3rd highest points over the second half of the season. Ideally we would get a young prospect to develop in time to replace Wilson, but it's not a necessity. 

We cannot expect the form we had in the second half of last season to continue on forever, it just simply won't.

Wilson will miss significant chunks of the season he's done it almost his whole career and won't suddenly stop now at the age of 30, Wood is a bottom level PL player/championship striker, Maxi is talented but mercurial and everything will be on his shoulders again once Almiron reverts to type, we have three RW's and not one of them is top 10 standard.

4 minutes ago, Tiotes Witch Doctor said:

Is it obvious? I'm not sure it is personally.

It’s neither obvious that we will, nor “likely”, like you say, that we won’t get an attacking player.

we’ve still got four weeks to go ffs- no one knows either way. 

1 minute ago, Manxst said:

It’s neither obvious that we will, nor “likely”, like you say, that we won’t get an attacking player.

we’ve still got four weeks to go ffs- no one knows either way. 

I'd question why we are doing our business so late if the idea is to get a good deal, surely teams will want more money for their players late on as they'll know we are a bit more desperate plus they may even be more reluctant to sell as they will also then have to buy replacements.

2 minutes ago, Tiotes Witch Doctor said:

We cannot expect the form we had in the second half of last season to continue on forever, it just simply won't.

Wilson will miss significant chunks of the season he's done it almost his whole career and won't suddenly stop now at the age of 30, Wood is a bottom level PL player/championship striker, Maxi is talented but mercurial and everything will be on his shoulders again once Almiron reverts to type, we have three RW's and not one of them is top 10 standard.

Of course not. I never said we could. It's not like I'm saying "Chill fellas. 3rd is nailed on" it's simply a reflection of what we can achieve, as a team, with Wood as our forward.

1 minute ago, Happinesstan said:

Of course not. I never said we could. It's not like I'm saying "Chill fellas. 3rd is nailed on" it's simply a reflection of what we can achieve, as a team, with Wood as our forward.

Would you be happy with another 11-13th finish? I know I wouldn't, because I can't see us finishing much higher once the injuries start.

I like that there's a Twitteresque lack of middlegeound in some of the posts above.

Very few transfer windows go to plan, despite signing decent players Chelsea, Arsenal and West Ham have all had set backs. The same as us with Ekitike.

Howe has said himself in an ideal world we'd have our business done before the season starts, but for whatever reason we've not managed that.  We don't know if that's because of the club, or the market or a bit of both.

Howe has also said that we're still looking to bring a couple of players in. So what most are saying is that the time to judge the window is when it has closed, there's still plenty of time to get players through the door.

For the time being it's a lovely day. Pop the wash on and get those sheets on the line, it's starting to smell like piss in here.

Ekitike going to PSG would have been a blow to the club, there can't really be any doubts about that with how long we courted him for. We haven't seen anything credible/confirmed to say who is next on the list after him as yet. Sesko would fit the profile (although without the ability to play on the wing when needed), although that looks unlikely and we don't even really know if he was/is on the radar.

I think we can nearly all agree Maddison would be a great signing, and £60 million doesn't seem an excessive price to many. 

Maddison and a forward with actual potential and I think most would be very happy with the window.

At this moment in time though even Eddie Howe has expressed his frustration and admitted he wanted to get business done early to have pre-season to bed in new recruits so it's understandable some will be slightly frustrated also. But where we are now, it's about the quality we can bring in rather than the speed.

I'm going to enjoy our first full Ashley free season regardless of who we sign and gets injured, but it's just going to be "we should have got the business done" every time we see Murphy spoon a shot over the bar or Wood make a cushioned header to the opposing keeper.

Edited by Tiotes Witch Doctor

Very unlikely but we could always try and loan Ekitike from PSG

(I know he was one for the future but if we feel he could add an impact this season, it would benefit us, and may also benefit PSG if they feel he would get game time) 

however as he has turned us down I don’t expect we would take him even if he wanted to come