James Maddison (now playing for Tottenham Hotspur)

The Prophet

4 minutes ago, Scotty66 said:

13th would definitely be a disappointment especially considering we have January transfer window too. 

Top ten would be a nice start and something to build on. Europe would be fantastic obviously. 

6-10th place and good cup runs....will be well happy!

There's nothing deluded or overly expectant about bringing in a couple of solid attacking players to finish off a transfer window so we can kick on to where everyone was thinking was realistic this season which was top 10 with an outside chance of top 8.

People seem to now be happy ticking over, yes I said it, rather than admitting that we should probably be doing a bit more to progress.

I'm aware that this could be premature as we very well may do some excellent business in the next 3 weeks, I can't see it but you never know.

But going into the season with what we have now, while not being a disaster would be very underwhelming IMO, just because we were once owned by Mike Ashley it doesn't mean we automatically have to slap on a smile and accept the potentially bad bits too.

3 minutes ago, Tiotes Witch Doctor said:

There's nothing deluded or overly expectant about bringing in a couple of solid attacking players to finish off a transfer window so we can kick on to where everyone was thinking was realistic this season which was top 10 with an outside chance of top 8.

People seem to now be happy ticking over, yes I said it, rather than admitting that we should probably be doing a bit more to progress.

I'm aware that this could be premature as we very well may do some excellent business in the next 3 weeks, I can't see it but you never know.

But going into the season with what we have now, while not being a disaster would be very underwhelming IMO, just because we were once owned by Mike Ashley it doesn't mean we automatically have to slap on a smile and accept the potentially bad bits too.

I doubt some on here are in danger of this under any circumstances.

48 minutes ago, ponsaelius said:

Tbf there's a load of players they could definitely get buyers for before Maddison if they wanted to trim the squad. And that's before you mention Fofana who seems to me to be a more likely sale with Chelsea still after a CB.

There's loads of players they would LIKE to sell before Maddison or Fofana, but I'm not convinced there's buyers for them, and not at the prices which would make a difference.

1 hour ago, The Prophet said:

I like that there's a Twitteresque lack of middlegeound in some of the posts above.

Very few transfer windows go to plan, despite signing decent players Chelsea, Arsenal and West Ham have all had set backs. The same as us with Ekitike.

Howe has said himself in an ideal world we'd have our business done before the season starts, but for whatever reason we've not managed that.  We don't know if that's because of the club, or the market or a bit of both.

Howe has also said that we're still looking to bring a couple of players in. So what most are saying is that the time to judge the window is when it has closed, there's still plenty of time to get players through the door.

For the time being it's a lovely day. Pop the wash on and get those sheets on the line, it's starting to smell like piss in here.

TBF Arsenal's window has gone to plan.

They've sorted out their priority positions in time for everyone to play in pre-season. Striker, a creator and a player that can play LB and CM. They've also brought in someone who can play RW.

Chelsea are having a mare. Mostly due to a late takeover, players leaving on a free, more players wanting to leave and Barcelona signing 1 of their players (maybe more) and taking 2 of their top targets.

We have 0 of our main targets in. 

I agree with @Tiotes Witch Doctor. Some are acting like this is going to plan and everything is under control. That is clearly not the case. Plan A went to PSG and we are on Plan D and that isn't working out so far either.

19 minutes ago, Tiotes Witch Doctor said:

I think we'll sign at least 1 attacker if not 2. We'll drop the money to make it happen imo.

I think signing nobody dos border a disaster. We are 1 injury away from relegation fodder attacking line-up. Could easily finish 13th with this current squad with some bad luck.

3 minutes ago, POOT 2.0 said:

They risk having very unhappy and disruptive players brooding in the changing room. Wouldn't want to be in their situation (from a fan's POV). 

More risk of that with Fofana than Maddison. Playing for a much higher profile club might have Fofana going to the WC. Crazy wages. CL football. Another bad injury and this chance may never happen again for the lad.

Maddison could have a poor year and still move to us and earn the same money in a years time. No CL. Similar profile for now. 

23 minutes ago, Tiotes Witch Doctor said:

The transfer window is still open for four weeks. If we haven't signed anyone in a month I'll be underwhelmed too. I just don't think there's any chance we aren't signing at least one attacking player and wouldn't be surprised if it's two.

Just now, Pata said:

The transfer window is still open for four weeks. If we haven't signed anyone in a month I'll be underwhelmed too. I just don't think there's any chance we aren't signing at least one attacking player and wouldn't be surprised if it's two.

I very much hope you're right.

30 minutes ago, Pata said:

Don't apply logic to the situation. No transfers EVER happen in the last few weeks of the summer transfer window. 

The plan keeps coming up again
And the plan means nothing stays the same
But the plan won't accomplish anything
If it's not implemented

Like it's always been
And it makes me think of everyone
The cause of this is evident
But the remedy cannot be found
'Cause it's so well hidden

This history lesson
Doesn't make any sense
In any less than
10, 000 year increments
Common sense
Common sense
Common sense
Common sense
Common sense

13 minutes ago, The Prophet said:

Going off Rogers' comments today, Maddison is there for the taking if we up our offer enough. If he's considered a primary target, we'll never get a better chance to sign him.

Sigh… I don’t know how many times I need to say this. We aren’t looking to sell our very best players. 

We have loads of assets that we DO actively want to get rid of and it’s just a matter of time until they go. 

1 minute ago, Foxedup said:

Sigh… I don’t know how many times I need to say this. We aren’t looking to sell our very best players. 

We have loads of assets that we DO actively want to get rid of and it’s just a matter of time until they go. 

Sorry fella I haven't read all of your posts, Rogers gave the impression today that you'd need to sell at least one big name. I gather that isn't the case?

Feel free to quote an old post if you've already been over this.