James Maddison (now playing for Tottenham Hotspur)

The Prophet

My view is very much that if a genuinely outstanding talent - who is significantly better than the player they would replace - becomes available to us, they should instantly be the priority. Even if they play in a position where our need might not be the most pressing.

If you've got a chance of signing someone like James Maddison then you do everything you possibly can to make it happen; I'd compare it to our pursuit of Rooney back in 2004. 

If it's not to be, then so be it, and we move onto more attainable targets. But Christ it's satisfying being an ambitious club again. 

3 minutes ago, gbandit said:

The striker targets we’re looking at seem like versatile strikers though who can play across the line. They’ve all been young players with room for development too. I think it’s an absolutely key signing, both as cover but also for offering something different as well 

Yeah only Werner is the one who isn’t in the bracket of young development types you mention.

Just now, Yorkie said:

My view is very much that if a genuinely outstanding talent - who is significantly better than the player they would replace - becomes available to us, they should instantly be the priority. Even if they play in a position where our need might not be the most pressing.

If you've got a chance of signing someone like James Maddison then you do everything you possibly can to make it happen; I'd compare it to our pursuit of Rooney back in 2004. 

If it's not to be, then so be it, and we move onto more attainable targets. But Christ it's satisfying being an ambitious club again. 

It's funny you mention it being like Rooney in 2004, I've been thinking it's much more like us going for Duff in 2005.

I’d be over the moon with Maddison and either Werner/Broja on loan.

If we get Maddison I don’t think we need an out and out winger. Miggy has been playing on the right but I could envisage is playing in a fluid formation where Miggy and Maddison interchange with Trippier overlapping on the touch line.

Edited by bowlingcrofty

1 minute ago, Yorkie said:

Yeah, we can afford to do it too as where we finish next season isn't THAT important. We can hopefully turn the screw next summer when we'll know exactly where we're at.

2 minutes ago, The Prophet said:

If we entertain Football Insider's conflicting headlines, it could be that Chelsea's daft bid for Fofana means that they'd now rather sell him than Maddison?

If it is correct that he’s not for sale this summer and if Maddison does want out, its a transfer request.

Edited by FloydianMag

1 minute ago, The Prophet said:

If we entertain Football Insider's conflicting headlines, it could be that Chelsea's daft bid for Fofana means that they'd now rather sell him than Maddison?

If their plan is to sell a biggie now and again to possibly fund incoming, surely selling Maddison with a couple of years on his contract this season then Fofana next season maximises that strategy ?

Just now, madras said:

If their plan is to sell a biggie now and again to possibly fund incoming, surely selling Maddison with a couple of years on his contract this season then Fofana next season maximises that strategy ?

It does but according the press, Fofana is trying to force a move now.

6 minutes ago, Kid Icarus said:

It's funny you mention it being like Rooney in 2004, I've been thinking it's much more like us going for Duff in 2005.

It's a fair enough comparison in that Duff was (supposedly) an A-lister who we maybe didn't 'need'. But imo you always need A-listers, even if it's at the expense of a B-lister gap not being filled.

I think we're making the same point really, just using different examples. If Duff had turned out to be his 2003 self you'd be using his signing as an example as to why we should prioritise Maddison.

2 minutes ago, Yorkie said:

It's a fair enough comparison in that Duff was (supposedly) an A-lister who we maybe didn't 'need'. But imo you always need A-listers, even if it's at the expense of a B-lister gap not being filled.

I think we're making the same point really, just using different examples. If Duff had turned out to be his 2003 self you'd be using his signing as an example as to why we should prioritise Maddison.

Maybe, but then I was making the same point about Duff at the time. 🤭

Rooney of course backs up your point of going for the best if they become available though.

Just now, Kid Icarus said:

Maybe, but then I was making the same point about Duff at the time. 🤭

Rooney of course backs up your point of going for the best if they become available though.

Fair enough. :thup:

God he was fucking rubbish. :lol:

I'm probably alone in not being that disappointed if we miss out on Maddison.

Quality player no doubt and he would improve us massively but I never anticipated his name even being mentioned. I hadn't even expected us to attempt to sign a central midfielder. So comparing to what I hoped we'd do in this window (LB, CM, RW, CF) missing out on him - in isolation - I can deal with.

Obviously my overall opinion on how well the transfer window goes will depend on if/how we fill those RW/CF spots but I'm not going to get too down heartened about not being able to sign a player that a week ago I wouldn't have even considered us bidding for.

The issue with Wood was exemplified last season imo, our style of play basically needed a game winner as we were very poor in the final 3rd. Hopefully a pre-season and someone like Maddison would change that (as well as having Trippier back). Miggy and Anderson were very direct from midfield at the weekend (Wood dropping back like a shit Harry Kane), and I think in general we'll look a lot more dangerous from midfield.

We obviously need another forward like, it would be a pretty clear failure if we don't get one this window, but I don't think losing Wilson will completely kill our attacking play like it did last season.

Edited by Hanshithispantz

I read that Sanjay (who's great) thread like but I just cannot see it, he'd essentially be a wide playmaker with Bruno behind him and Trippier beside him, both basically doing the same thing in that area, it seems a bit off imo.

I'd hope we getting a pacy, direct left footer.

Edited by Hanshithispantz

At this stage, Cornet seems straightforward and a bit of a no brainer. 

As we have a bloated squad, I’d love the two signings we make to be highly rated youngsters under 21 who will be phased in and get decent game time, Sesko and Sulemana. 
That might cost in excess of 60-70m but you could get that back for just one of them with Howes coaching ability and the higher platform to showcase their abilities on within 2-3 years. 

All of these improve the squad considerably. 

As for directly transforming the first XI I’d be ok with getting an AM like Paqueta or Maddison the following summer as well as a new marquee striker as long as the above happened. 

If Maddison doesn't come off (and there's still plenty of time), I wondered if it would be worth going back for him in January.

Normally not a great time for buying and selling, but whatever happens with Fofana, in his case 6 more months of his contract would have ticked down.

And time for both clubs to have sounded out alternatives in the meantime.

Beginning to think that this window is very much a statement window from the owners. We won't overpay what we think a target is worth, and if it means going into the season a bit weaker than we like, so be it. Short term, and as a fan, that's a bit painful, but long term it's obviously best for the club.