Now That's What I Call Transfer Rumours! 7

Rich

Guest HTT II

We are probably going to have to wait until the final few days of the transfer window as I can see a lot of clubs doing late business, especially as the season has already started so the focus will be on that right now. I still think we will get 2 in and maybe 3 max. 

Edited by HTT II

9 minutes ago, LV said:

I can’t see that anywhere on the Athletic mind 

Pulisic was mentioned (briefly) on the Transfer mailbag as someone we would be interested in should he become available on loan.

Newcastle have asked Chelsea and other top-six clubs to keep them informed of any attacking players they may consider sending on loan later in the window, with Hudson-Odoi and Conor Gallagher chief among them. Pulisic, meanwhile, is a wide option Newcastle would also consider, though the American may not be made available.

Edited by Keegans Export

6 minutes ago, Yorkie said:

Can't find that link on The Athletic. 

It might have been buried in Chris Waugh's article. 

Keeping tabs on, monitoring, preparing a bid, etc. I'm having some nasty flashbacks, luckily I'm sure that we'll finish the window strongly.

5 minutes ago, HTT II said:

We are probably going to have to wait until the final few days of the transfer window as I can see a lot of clubs doing late business, especially as the season has already started so the focus will be in that right now. I still think we will get 2 in and maybe 3 max. 

I’ve believed since ‘Botman-day’ we would sign two and loan one. That said, I was absolutely convinced (on the scientific basis of runes and seaweed…) that we would sign someone this week. 

Not too concerned tbh, I’d expect us to really look at the loan market which picks up in the last week. Plus the Ramos one, pretty sure I read Benfica won’t sell till after their champions league qualifier on the 23rd.

Does anyone know of any data sources about when transfers typically happen in the summer window?

My gut would say that the last few weeks are the busiest time for the sheer volume of deals that occur, but there does seem to be a lot of business getting done earlier of late.

2 minutes ago, ponsaelius said:

I know we did late business in January but it has got to be getting a bit worrying now tbh.

Why?

Any players signed on deadline day (for example) will have missed five games. We've won one of them already.

The teams around us have either made minimal improvements (Leicester, Palace) or similar improvements to us (Wolves). Others are barely replacing players they've lost (Brighton). West Ham have bought well, Villa seemed to but are still struggling. It's not as if these other clubs are leaving us in the dust with regards to transfer activity.

4 minutes ago, ponsaelius said:

I know we did late business in January but it has got to be getting a bit worrying now tbh.

Relax. Still almost 3wks to go. We’ll sign Ramos after the 23rd ?

It’s pretty clear from recent articles that if we do get loans in that they’ll have to be players that will at least consider making their moves permanent or that Eddie is 100% convinced that they will give it their all while they are here.

35 minutes ago, ponsaelius said:

Not really. It's like musical chairs at the moment with Chelsea, Barcelona,PSG and others throwing their hat in for every player that becomes available. That inevitably means they'll need to move players out before the window closes which means their players will come onto the market. There's going to be some decent forwards we can go for at the end of the window IMO, even if only on loan.

26 minutes ago, LV said:

It’s pretty clear from recent articles that if we do get loans in that they’ll have to be players that will at least consider making their moves permanent or that Eddie is 100% convinced that they will give it their all while they are here.

Not think that might change in the last few days if we have no other options ?

20 minutes ago, SUPERTOON said:

Not think that might change in the last few days if we have no other options ?

I’m not sure it will. I think they’d rather go with what we’ve got than bring someone who doesn’t fit the ethos/ work ethic / character requirements.

It seems we’re run on strict principles now. Never pay over the odds, the right character etc 

Building for long term, sustainable success rather than short-term flash in the pan then disappear down the pan type stuff. 

36 minutes ago, LV said:

I’m not sure it will. I think they’d rather go with what we’ve got than bring someone who doesn’t fit the ethos/ work ethic / character requirements.

It seems we’re run on strict principles now. Never pay over the odds, the right character etc 

Building for long term, sustainable success rather than short-term flash in the pan then disappear down the pan type stuff. 

Agree in the most part, but say someone like Pulisic is available on deadline day and will sign without an option to buy, in our position I think/hope we would act. 

3 minutes ago, SUPERTOON said:

Agree in the most part, but say someone like Pulisic is available on deadline day and will sign without an option to buy, in our position I think/hope we would act. 

I’m desperate for some signings too, I really am.

I just think we will only get people in if they are the right fit. I don’t think we do anything knee-jerk now like we did in January with Wood when we were in desperate straits. Even if we are crying out for more squad depth. 

And even in January, Wood had been fully scouted and was clearly the right sort of character. 

One name I really hope we are keeping an eye on for that wide forward role is Jonathan David.

Our good fried Paulo Fonseca (!) made a great start in Ligue 1 with Lille last weekend, and is using Jonathan David on the right hand side as a wide forward, and he had a double last week and an assist. He looked good there.