Now That's What I Call Transfer Rumours! 7

Rich

I know there are some questions about his attitude but this just feels exactly like the kind of transfers we’ll be doing throughout the next few windows. The kind of guys that are jussstttt under the wonderkid type billing like the Bellinghams of the world. But after a couple of windows we’ll have a super squad full of massive talent. 

6 hours ago, Ace said:

Using us for a contract again. 

Partly agree, think it's more to flush out other interest rather than a new contract at Barca. Assuming they make their big play for Messi, and find a way to get Bernardo Silva in they will be needing to offload.

1 minute ago, SUPERTOON said:

Not sure there was any point in enquiring for Mount if we already knew we won’t go above our current wage structure. Think it’s pretty obvious he was going to demand huge wages.

Shy bairns get nee broth.

Of course there was at least some point in it, surely?

As a quick example, players often seem to like going to clubs with a long-standing interest them, making them feel wanted, etc.

Even if we had a decent idea of the answer we'd get back, it surely doesn't hurt to make that interest more "official" (if, indeed, we actually did) and putting our name in the mix so he knows we're serious about him.

He might end up in a Lingard situation where his leverage and therefore his ask keeps on declining and declining, and end up at far from his first choice (waves), though I know it appears unlikely at the moment given the names in the mix for him.

It's why I find the Rice rumours strange. I'd love to have him here absolutely, but the money involved doesn't match the kind of business this regime has been doing so far and I can't see us spending such a huge amount of money on one player when our whole squad needs work especially with (hopefully) a CL campaign next season.

I think the really top tier premier league signings like Rice are still a season or two off. Until we have really lucrative sponsorship deals in place anyway. If we can secure CL football this season though, we will at least be in a position to make offers to this calibre of players.

Just now, SUPERTOON said:

It wasn’t a criticism btw, I’m just sure I read he wants 350k a week at Chelsea, it would be a huge drop for him to accept 120k here. 

I don't think our top bracket will stay at ~£120k plus bonuses going into the summer, but I could well be wrong. I'm not saying it'll jump to £350k, mind, but £150k certainly, and even £200k might be in reach, as well, if we finish top four?

We don't know if any of the players have percentage increases or set increases to their basic wage based on finishing in Europe, for instance, or even for finishing in the top 10.

Based on how we've apparently tried to structure transfers, I could see the wages being handled similarly. There'll be an understanding in the hierarchy that if this current group gets us to Champions League level on mid-table/lower mid-table wages, their wages will likely have to be adjusted to reflect that, certainly for the players deemed critical to making it happen.

It's the only way to maintain ongoing harmony, I'd say, as they've effectively proven themselves to be worth more. Same goes for Howe and his staff, to be fair, they should all rightly be asking for a bump if they're not guaranteed one already. The tricky part is not going silly with it, which is what many of the other clubs in the situation of qualifying for the CL consistently seem have done. Lukaku on £340k per week before bonuses, etc.

It's going to be an expensive, but necessary, summer! And there'll be some painful parts to it, I'm sure, as it gets harder and harder to manage growing so quickly in such a short space of time. You already hear the likes of Sean Longstaff in NUFC TV interviews joking about how much less he's on than Dan Burn, the players will all be well aware of each others' wages, or at least have a very good idea.