Now That's What I Call Transfer Rumours! 7

Rich

It’s weird that he’s been played as a 6; can’t think of a position he’s less suited to, just accentuates all of weaknesses as a player. I think he’d actually make a fairly solid striker considering his attributes.

We’ve been linked for ages so I think this is a goer and -as I said- so long as he’s cheap he’d be a fine, if very underwhelming, signing for us.

If we continue to play how we have this season, in possession we almost switch to a 3-2-5 with Trippier and the left winger holding the width. Earlier in the season, Almiron was given licence to get close to Wilson, granted this was tweaked when Murphy came into the side. This makes me think we'll be look for an "inverted forward" for the right wing position. Someone who isn't required to hold the width, but will instead tuck in and play in the space around the forward. That's probably why we seem to be looking at players like Maddsion, rather than Diaby. 

10 minutes ago, Skeletor said:

Gillespie. That's it.

So what you're saying is we need to sell them Isak and get McTominay back as a makeweight in the deal for it to work out? I'm in. 

McTominay would be sort of signing you'd pick up for free and be quite happy with. However for me, anything close to 20Mil is too much, we can put it to much better use elsewhere.

35 minutes ago, SiLvOR said:

McTominay would be sort of signing you'd pick up for free and be quite happy with. However for me, anything close to 20Mil is too much, we can put it to much better use elsewhere.

Unless Eddie actually wants him. If so? Fuck it I’m all in! 

:howe:

1 minute ago, Skeletor said:

57Lc.gif

I love Eddie, but some of his taste in players absolutely stinks.

Without wading into the Chris Wood debate again, he was pretty solid before Ashworth came in and implemented the transfer panel. 

6 minutes ago, The Prophet said:

Without wading into the Chris Wood debate again, he was pretty solid before Ashworth came in and implemented the transfer panel. 

Let's be completely honest. I have no doubt Howe will work very closely with Gordon to improve him and I sincerely hope he turns into an excellent player for us. So far, and I mean just so far, that was £40m spent that added nothing to the team from Jan to June. He has the feeling of a Howe signing.

I will reiterate, hope he comes good. 

1 minute ago, Lotus said:

Let's be completely honest. I have no doubt Howe will work very closely with Gordon to improve him and I sincerely hope he turns into an excellent player for us. So far, and I mean just so far, that was £40m spent that added nothing to the team from Jan to June. He has the feeling of a Howe signing.

I will reiterate, hope he comes good. 

By all accounts Ashworth is a big fan too. We wanted to sign him this summer, but there was an opportunity to bring the deal forward. 

What defines a Howe signing though?

There isn't such a thing as a 'Howe' signing at the moment, iirc. They've talked about the traffic light system; to progress a player, Ashworth, Howe and Nickson all have to give green lights for it to happen. That doesn't mean that Howe can't obviously campaign for a player and change minds though.

Edited by Gallowgate Toon

14 minutes ago, The Prophet said:

Think the whole Chris Wood deal worked out pretty good in the end! :troll:

1 minute ago, The Prophet said:

By all accounts Ashworth is a big fan too. We wanted to sign him this summer, but there was an opportunity to bring the deal forward. 

Fair question. I'm just going off rumours and internet chatter. Seems Howe is a big fan of Perm experience. 

Have personally questioned that given that Botman, Bruno and Isak are probably our best glitzy signings and they've all come from abroad.

Still, that's what the faces say so just going off that.

27 minutes ago, The Prophet said:

In Gordon’s intro video where they show him meeting everyone, Ashworth greeted him with something along the lines of, ‘I’ve been a big fan of you for a long time’.

When Gordon first broke into the Everton team, he looked very good. It's not unknown for a young player to suffer a dip after making a strong initial impact - eg young Longstaff. Hopefully, they then come back from that apparent setback. 

It may be something to do with opponents sussing them out a bit, at which point the player then has to add a bit more nous and versatility to their game. Or maybe it's psychological, they think they've really made it when they get in the first team, then they get brought down to earth with a bump. They then have to reinvent themselves a bit.

18 minutes ago, SteV said:

In Gordon’s intro video where they show him meeting everyone, Ashworth greeted him with something along the lines of, ‘I’ve been a big fan of you for a long time’.

I think Ashworth said something like "I haven't seen you for a long time."

Eddie said "I've been a huge admirer of you for a long long time.

2 hours ago, SUPERTOON said:

Why ? 

Because we need an AM and DM, McTominay is neither, therefore that's potentially 3 midfielders, plus other positions.

1 minute ago, STM said:

Because we need an AM and DM, McTominay is neither, therefore that's potentially 3 midfielders, plus other positions.

I’m not really convinced we’re planning to play like that. Could equally just been planning to keep playing with 3 all-rounders. 

I think you need to stay well clear of McTominay. I watch a lot of United games.

You have plenty of athletic midfielders who can get around the pitch and impose themselves physically. Your midfield isn't lacking height with Joelinton, Willock and Bruno Guimarães.

McTominay is good at making third man runs from midfield to get on the end of moves. Decent goalscorer. But he's very limited technically and not a natural DM.

You'd only be helping Unite finance a better CM signing. Newcastle need to be more ambitious than that. Signings like Botman and Isak, not feckin' McSauce.

3 hours ago, The Prophet said:

McTominay and Tierney are the links that won't go away.

Add Maddison to that. Rumours that at least two of them in Tierney and Maddison are already agreed, at least if you give any credence on what gets posted here.

10 minutes ago, STM said:

I’d be very surprised if we sign 3 midfielders tbh.