Now That's What I Call Transfer Rumours! 7

Rich

I'm not quite sure why journalists continue to play down our spending power in the face of all the evidence. [emoji38]

We absolutely smashed our transfer record last summer. The spent a straight 45m on Gordon in January. [emoji38]

We've shown no signs of slowing down.[emoji38]

16 minutes ago, STM said:

I remember a few saying "not bothered about Botman", don't say the same about Maddison because if he signs you will look stupid. He's absolutely class.

I didn't know Botman at all when we signed him other than a few youtube posts.

I've watched Madison a fair bit. I agree he's class on the ball, but I don't think he suits our identity as either a pressing wide forward or compliments Bruno in the center. So personally, I'm not sure where he fits right now, but yes I'm happy to look stupid if he comes and succeeds, I just think there are better options out there...you know opinions!

Edited by Oregon_Geordie

Just now, KaKa said:

Transfer fees are not paid all at once.

A lot of them are at most £10 - £15 million upfront.

A £100 million budget would be pretty substantial.

That's not what is being suggested and you know it...:lol:

They are suggesting a 100m outlay on transfer fees. I'd be shocked if its below 150m.

9 minutes ago, Skeletor said:

Tierney and Maddison seem pretty nailed on. After that who knows. Can see Kephrem Thuram as well. Wish we'd go all out for MacAllister.

Not sure Maddison is nailed in especially with this Hungarian lad being scouted. Not sure about Tierney with his injury record.

1 minute ago, STM said:

That's not what is being suggested and you know it...:lol:

They are suggesting a 100m outlay on transfer fees. I'd be shocked if its below 150m.

No, I don't know it. That's how I've always looked at the budgets, because that's how they work.

I don’t think Maddison is fully fit and hasn’t been since his knee injury away at the World Cup, kind of like Bruno with us that he is too important to leave out for Leicester. Rodger’s highlighted his ongoing knee issues in the months after the World Cup.

When he is fully fit he is a class player, he was that good earlier in the season that Southgate was forced to pick him.

The Premier League has confirmed that the 2023 summer transfer window will officially open on Wednesday, June 14.

However, English clubs will only be allowed to sign players from domestic leagues until July 1 when international deals are then permitted.

The window will slam shut again at 11pm on Friday, September 1.

Top-flight bosses have also confirmed dates for the 2024 winter transfer window which will open on Monday, January 1 before closing at 11pm on Thursday, February 1.

37 minutes ago, Dr Jinx said:

I think 35-40 million gets Maddison done now, maybe less. Although to be honest I’d rather we look elsewhere.

He looks a shell of a person after that season.

For 30-35 Maddison is a steal of the century. Even if we can’t always find a place for him in the system. He offers something none of our other players have. 

Just now, nemtizz said:

I meant last summer, but did he?

Yeah in his article a few weeks back where he said we will spend big, he said originally we only planned to have a budget of 20 million this coming summer 

22 minutes ago, Alberto2005 said:

I can't see how we don't spend at least £150m, £100m gets you nothing these days.

I said just less than 150m. Not really getting 3 CL quality players for 100m, let alone 4-5.

8 minutes ago, KaKa said:

No, I don't know it. That's how I've always looked at the budgets, because that's how they work.

Well im telling you that's what's being suggested.[emoji38]

When a journalist puts a figure out, whether it be 50m, 100m or whatever, they are talking about transfer fees, not amortisation or any other magical bollocks.

I understand how that stuff works (kind of) but that's not what's being discussed here.

1 minute ago, STM said:

Well im telling you that's what's being suggested.[emoji38]

When a journalist puts a figure out, whether it be 50m, 100m or whatever, they are talking about transfer fees, not amortisation or any other magical bollocks.

I understand how that stuff works (kind of) but that's not what's being discussed here.

How can you be so sure that's what they are suggesting out of interest?

Also, it's nothing magical. Most transfer fees paid for players are spread out over a number of years, rather than the selling team getting the full money upfront, and so say we buy a £50 million player this summer, it may well be just an initial £15 million we pay from this year's budget, with the remainder split over another three years or whatever.

4 minutes ago, KaKa said:

Also, it's nothing magical. Most transfer fees paid for players are spread out over a number of years, rather than the selling team getting the full money upfront, and so say we buy a £50 million player this summer, it may well be just an initial £15 million we pay from this year's budget, with the remainder split over another three years or whatever.

:lol:

Dont make it so complicated for no reason whatsoever. It’s clear as a day what STM is saying and that 99% understands exactly what it means if its being said that a budget is 100m. 

4 minutes ago, KaKa said:

Just to clear, I'm not disputing the method of payments for transfers.

What I'm saying is that NOBODY when talking about a transfer budget, especially when it comes to the press, talks about transfer budgets in this way.

For example we signed Pope for 12m over 4 payments (if I remember correctly) but for the purpose of "transfer budget speculation/talk" nobody says we spent 3m on Pope last summer.

When a journalist says "a budget of x million" they mean a budget of x million, not a budget of x million in first installments.[emoji38]

I'm talking football transfer parlance here.