Now That's What I Call Transfer Rumours! 7

Rich

5 hours ago, Rich said:

100%. We need goals and assists from there. The wingers in a 4-3-3 are basically forwards and in some teams can produce numbers in excess of the central striker. Miggy has basically done that for us this season, but it’s at such a low level and more down to us not having a settled in-form striker all season.

I’d ideally like someone who could play up top if needed, too, so we’ve got something else behind Isak and Wilson in a worst case scenario. And someone with a bit of presence/nouse about him, too, as our current crop are extremely lightweight and not the most savvy.

If this mythical beast exists, I’m sure he’s on our radar. :lol:

I think the new forward and third choice striker needs to be a same player unless the third choice striker is someone really young and cheap. Third striker is such a minimal role nowadays when most teams only use one striker. Someone like Joao Pedro or similar versatile player would be perfect, contesting for a starting place as a wide forward while being the emergency backup striker or even number 10 if we start to use Isak more there.

Edited by Pata

3 minutes ago, Pata said:

I think the new forward and third choice striker needs to be a same player unless the third choice striker is someone really young and cheap. Third striker is such a minimal role nowadays when most teams only use one striker. Someone like Joao Pedro or similar versatile player would be perfect, contesting for a starting place as a wide forward while being the emergency backup striker or even number 10 if we start to use Isak more there.

That’s the direction I think we’ll go. A Joao Pedro type player gives you the cover for Wilson and Isak and plays out wide - I don’t see why we won’t try again for him if Watford stay in the Championship. Whilst it would be great to go for a name like Diaby, I don’t think we’ll be able to spend money on a top quality wide player as well as a striker when we need a lot of other positions filled. 

2 minutes ago, andyc35i said:

That’s the direction I think we’ll go. A Joao Pedro type player gives you the cover for Wilson and Isak and plays out wide - I don’t see why we won’t try again for him if Watford stay in the Championship. Whilst it would be great to go for a name like Diaby, I don’t think we’ll be able to spend money on a top quality wide player as well as a striker when we need a lot of other positions filled. 

I haven't really seen much of Diaby but I'm a bit hesitant spending at least £60m on a player from Bundesliga. So many players have flopped recently coming from there and Leon Bailey had similar numbers to him in Leverkusen.

5 hours ago, Hanshithispantz said:

The thing is though, this was dished out by two teams who’s supporters lament their own lack of quality in midfield (Villa with the absence of Kamara).

Dendoncker & Luiz are not exactly freaks of nature.

There was something badly wrong with the midfield yesterday, difficult to pin down if it was Bruno being off the pace due to injury, or just our shape was wrong and Emery had our number. It was similar against Brentford, but second half we turned it round, in this game we never came close to it.

6 minutes ago, TRon said:

There was something badly wrong with the midfield yesterday, difficult to pin down if it was Bruno being off the pace due to injury, or just our shape was wrong and Emery had our number. It was similar against Brentford, but second half we turned it round, in this game we never came close to it.

Kamara being out might have been an accidental good thing for them, doubt Emery puts that extra man (that seemed to win them the game) in midfield if Kamara would have been available. @brummie can shoot me down if I'm clueless. 

Edit. I'm wrong, didn't realise Kamara had been out for few games and they still played 4-4-2 in those with Bailey up top. Just an Emery master class replacing Bailey with another midfielder and changing the formation.

Edited by Pata

If there was even the faintest possibility of signing Declan Rice, I'd argue he would be worth the negation of other areas we're looking to strengthen; particularly if it meant not necessarily failing to fulfil those roles, but perhaps bringing in more economical targets.

I believe Rice is one of the best in his position in world football, and would certainly match or succeed Bruno as our best player. I also think there's something unique we could offer him that perhaps the likes of Manchester City or Chelsea could not. I think those clubs would buy Rice for a narrow range of specific attributes he possesses and happens to be 'world class' in (which is to say his defensive abilities), however, I believe he contains the potential to be a truly complete midfielder, excelling in all areas of the game and all phases of play in a similar vein to Yaya Toure. I think if he is to leave West Ham, we would be able, potentially uniquely, to offer him the ability and the freedom to express and further develop that part of his game.

1 hour ago, Pata said:

I haven't really seen much of Diaby but I'm a bit hesitant spending at least £60m on a player from Bundesliga. So many players have flopped recently coming from there and Leon Bailey had similar numbers to him in Leverkusen.

Get what you mean but given how all of our signings from abroad have done so far I'd have full faith in Howe integrating him here.

10 hours ago, Hanshithispantz said:

The thing is though, this was dished out by two teams who’s supporters lament their own lack of quality in midfield (Villa with the absence of Kamara).

Dendoncker & Luiz are not exactly freaks of nature.

Luiz is pretty good tbf 

4 hours ago, Pata said:

The Bundesliga scares me badly when it comes to attackers. Their numbers are so inflated, of course the likes of Haaland will be exceptions. Imo you have to be very sure they are a special player if you’re buying at big money from there. I think it’s safer to buy from France 

Aye would be hoping there'll be a fair few young talents brought in this summer.

When you look at the relatively unknown talent Brighton have had coming in for the last for small fees that have turned into absolutely quality players you wonder what Ashworth could be able to build with bigger and better resources.

i still hold hope we're looking to grow in a measured fashion, and that should we finish in the CL spots we don't do a heel turn into what everyone always said would happen anyway i.e. "oil state backed juggernaut".

1 minute ago, thomas said:

i still hold hope we're looking to grow in a measured fashion, and that should we finish in the CL spots we don't do a heel turn into what everyone always said would happen anyway i.e. "oil state backed juggernaut".

Hit Brighton and Villa in the backs with Steel chairs and join the corrupt 6 🤔