Now That's What I Call Transfer Rumours! 7

Rich

1 minute ago, arnonel said:

I would much rather go for younger players with a higher ceiling.

Unless they really believe we can now push on

a) I think they do believe that, and b) there's nothing wrong with leavening the squad with more mature players e.g. Trippier's what he is partly because he's not still 23.

I wonder what we'll do if say Leicester wont sell Maddison in Jan but he's the guy we want.

Operationally we don't seem like we'd go for alternatives now but we now have the added temptation of an extra push maybe being the difference between Europe and not. There's also the risk of not getting him anyway down the line.

First world problems though.

49 minutes ago, Conjo said:

We have one of the oldest squads in the league already. Should be enough mature players here. Go for the potentially next level players, not the old and slightly better than we have players.

Yeah but Trossard is 27, he's not exactly geriatric. And a decent chunk of our older players are those we're imagining might be replaced sooner rather than later anyhow, so that picture could change pretty quickly.

I'm still sat here thinking about how interesting this January window will be. Assuming we get the right results and stay around 4-5th place before the World Cup break, how do we strengthen? 

Tactically we're absolutely guns blazing pressing team and our #8's in Joelinton, Willock, and Longstaff all have a TON of legs to get about the pitch. I know Bruno wants to play further forward, but he hasn't the same athleticism as those three who are performing so damn well. If we sign a top class #6, and Bruno takes the Longstaff role, does that harm our ability to press? ie: Longstaff's interception v the Spurs game for Miggy's goal. If we sign a winger, how does that impact Miggy's role in the team? Miggy is undroppabe at this point from a goal return perspective but he's also incredible in the press. 

Maddison and a top class right sided centre back to come in and compete with Schar. Also as mentioned before a suitable young back up to trips (Harrison Ashby) he was mentioned in the summer. 1 or 2 of they Brazilian wonderkids would be nice too.

Shouldn’t we aim a bit higher than Ashby? He has 4 senior apps in his career. I know Trippier probably will be our first choice right back the next 2-3 seasons but i would still like us to go for something better than Ashby.

Edited by BeloEmre

For the calibre of players we may want to attract, being in the top 4 as we go in to January could be quite important. We’ve got 4 league fixtures before the window opens, if we could muster up 8 points from them and still be in the cup, we’d be looking like a pretty damn good option to any potential signings.

If we do land a couple of big hitters in January though I think we’d have to be prepared for a much quieter summer.

From what was a paper thin squad - Eddie has worked a magic trick - I think we need a right back young and eager but apart from that I am struggling to see where we need to strengthen - obvs injuries will take us back into the pit but our guys are all performing. Anyone we sign would have to understand they would be on the bench and be slowly brought into the fold. It is a brilliant problem to have. I just love this team. 

17 hours ago, Wolfcastle said:

I wonder what we'll do if say Leicester wont sell Maddison in Jan but he's the guy we want.

Operationally we don't seem like we'd go for alternatives now but we now have the added temptation of an extra push maybe being the difference between Europe and not. There's also the risk of not getting him anyway down the line.

I can't see Leicester selling Maddison in January, but it looks pretty certain that he'll move next summer. Not necessarily to us though.

Are there some issues of a more personal nature with this player? It seems odd that he only has one England cap. Like Howe, Southgate does put a high premium on good spirit within the squad. 

18 hours ago, Wolfcastle said:

If we want him, we’ll get him.

Might be summer though, which is be fine with me because he’ll be cheaper.

Need an extra GK who can serve as an adequate backup to Pope. Letting Dubs go was a big risk and it still needs resolving.

If on course for Europe can maybe get someone in with the promise of cup and some European games, which might raise the bar on what is possible.

Not sure I’d wait until summer on this one.

12 minutes ago, 80 said:

Depends what they have made of Karius in training, I guess. Would be nice if the problem is already solved.

I would be shocked if they don't pull the trigger on Karius on a long term deal in Jan. Only think I can see getting in the way is if he has an offer to be number 1 somewhere else. 

As for the rest of Jan. If you asked me a couple months ago I'd have said priority would be a wide forward/winger, then ideally a CDM. The form of Almiron (with ASM and Isak both to still come back in) means I'd actually say a CM is now priority. Question is do we go for a defensive player and give Bruno licence to push higher up the pitch, or for someone like Maddison, which would likely mean having Bruno play in that deep lying '6' role. 

So far we have shown most of our interest in two major categories of player:

1. Early 20s, potentially world class but already excellent players playing for good clubs, and who are on manageable wages -- Bruno, Botman, Isak

2. Teenage prospects who we rate as potentially top players - Kuol, the three Brazilian teens, the mackem teen

Obviously we signed Burn, Wood, Targett and Trippier in opposition to those trends but Wood/Burn/Targett were needs must signings and Trippier a statement/culture changing one. That first window was a desperate situation but thankfully I think we're past that point now.

We spent over half our total on the category 1 players. We identified them very specifically, sought them out, waited patiently and then struck. Our interest in these players isn't always well-known publicly but when they're available, we act quickly. 

The category 2 players are not as time-sensitive but we do need to get them on board as soon as possible to start acclimating them to our team culture.

All of that is to say, it would be very much like us for a player like Moussa Diaby to end up here in January. Maddison too, although at 25 he's maybe a tad older than our norm. Edson Alvarez?

Any other type of rumour I tend to dismiss out of hand. We have a specific type and we don't tend to deviate much from it. So no one over 26-27, no one on huge wages, no one who won't immediately push to be a first team member.