Now That's What I Call Transfer Rumours! 7

Rich

6 hours ago, McDog said:

Are most PL teams losing money? NFL is a cash cow for anyone buying but cash flow and taking on debt to buy can be a major issue I believe there.

Yes, most are. There's little/no money on terms of operating profit in PL clubs, the real money is in increasing their value and selling on.

1 minute ago, Skeletor said:

Much rather we went all out for Maddison. We need a player like him to turn those tight games into wins.

Yeah, I think the Leeds match was a bit of a turning point, we're now going to be coming up against teams who will see 0-0 as a great result against us much more often and we need players who can unlock teams who sit back against us.

2 minutes ago, Jackie Broon said:

Yeah, I think the Leeds match was a bit of a turning point, we're now going to be coming up against teams who will see 0-0 as a great result against us much more often and we need players who can unlock teams who sit back against us.

Bournemouth (league and cup), Palace (league and cup), Wolves, Everton, Leeds - it’s starting to happen more and more as teams cede possession to us. Definitely need an unlocker of banks of defence.

3 minutes ago, Jackie Broon said:

We had it earlier with both Palace and Bournemouth, wouldn’t be surprised if we get it again shef wed as well.

21 minutes ago, Paully said:

Downie seemed to hint there that Tielemans is our main target - he's very admired by all and sundry behind the scenes - I think he'd be a superb signing!

For what it’s worth… 😆 Steve Wraith on one of his podcasts said the few snippets he’s heard from inside the club is Tielemans isn’t as admired at the club as has been made out. If I recall it was possibly due to his lack of tracking back but I can’t recall for sure. Would agree TBH.

56 minutes ago, Mahoneys Tache said:

Joelinton wasn’t good enough for us 18 months ago. Almiron wasn’t good enough for us a year ago. 
Bellamy was bang average before he came to us and SBR got ahold of him. 
No idea if the rumours are accurate but if they are I expect they have a good rationale for buying him and he’ll only get better here. 

Aye and if we signed a failed striker to turn him into a CM or left winger we'd all be up in arms.

Worse than signing McTominay for £55m would be giving a close rival £55m that they can spend elsewhere.

That would be a £110m difference in what the 2 sides could otherwise spend. We can't hand them that kind of advantage.

Just now, Chris_R said:

Worse than signing McTominay for £55m would be giving a close rival £55m that they can spend elsewhere.

That would be a £110m difference in what the 2 sides could otherwise spend. We can't hand them that kind of advantage.

It’s clearly absolute nonsense though,

don’t think we need to give it another moment’s thought 

Tielemans is only 25. He's not the finished article, he can still get better and improve on aspects of his game. The fact he's already played 5 seasons in the Premier league and has played European football every season as a professional footabller is proof of what he is capable of.

I've no doubt if he comes here he will improve immensely, not only because of Howe but because of the fact he is now coming into what is the prime age for a midfielder like him.

33 minutes ago, LFEE said:

For what it’s worth… 😆 Steve Wraith on one of his podcasts said the few snippets he’s heard from inside the club is Tielemans isn’t as admired at the club as has been made out. If I recall it was possibly due to his lack of tracking back but I can’t recall for sure. Would agree TBH.

From the Atheltic article it seems like it may be Graeme Jones that’s the main admirer of Tielemans, given his work with him when he was with Martinez in the Belgium setup. 

A lot of people don't fancy him because he's not athletic.

I don't fancy a midfielder with a history of being turned and burned.

It's not something that can be improved by coaching to a significant degree.

From the 2, I would much prefer Maddison. But Tielemans would improve us too.

Edited by The College Dropout

51 minutes ago, LFEE said:

Couldn't be mre vague!

Tielemans contract situation plays a huge part here. One of the main reasons he's being considered is because we suspect we will get him at a decent price. Whether we rate him as highly as Maddison is kind of irrelevant because we won't have to pay anywhere near the same amount.

As I've said before, nothing will happen before the 20th of January IMO. It's not like last January where we were in a rush.