Now That's What I Call Transfer Rumours! 7

Rich

2 minutes ago, STM said:

As I've said before, nothing will happen before the 20th of January IMO.

Agree with this. Once we get to the end of Jan Leicester really do have a big call to make with Tielemans. Will be their last chance to get any sort of fee for him. 

5 minutes ago, The Prophet said:

The line seems to be that the way bill v turnover is too high, no idea if that's at all correct.

The summer after next will be interesting, with so many players out of contract.

The club really need to start getting players off the books - Ashley re-signed a lot of the current squad on stupidly long contracts for some comfortable wages.  Our current wage bill has been too high vs turnover for some time - and we’ve been told since day one that the club’s books have to balance and FFP will be adhered to.

I think I’d rather have Varela than Tielemans. Mainly because Varela is much more dynamic and physical. He would allow us to push Bruno a bit forward as well as strengthen us defensively and offers more technical ability than Longstaff even if different players and positions. Then add someone more creative and offensive to go with Bruno and Varela or similar. I like Tielemans but I feel that if 2/3 is Bruno and Tielemans then we might need more legs in there when off the ball. I’m all for Tielemans too, just my preference. 

Cover/rotation kind of CM is pointless. Because once we do sign a quality starting CM we will have too many “average” player on our books. Sign quality and let players like Longstaff/Willock to name two, to become squad players. Whether it’s a Bruno aged player or a 20 year old top quality one they have to be starting players or near enough it at least and then become starting players because of their undoubted talent. Even if eased in in the beginning.

Edited by Ikon

I’m very much for the saying “buy it nice or buy it twice”. This doesn’t necessarily mean that they have to cost a lot. More about not signing players for the sake of it and finding the right ones. Thinking both short and long term. 

1 minute ago, SUPERTOON said:

This is a completely different window to the last 2, the previous ones we had no real choice but to spend. We don’t need to do that this window.

It depends what you interpret as don’t need to.

His first window we had to spend or we were going down.

the second window we had to spend as the team needed to be strengthened, but we didn’t go mental. It was to build and go for top 8.

currently we are overachieving by any metric anyone had at the start of the season.

a few injuries to key players and we are likely in a bit of trouble.

the discussions now will be, if we want to seriously keep top 4 and seriously go for one of the cups, then we have to spend.

don’t spend and we need a lot of luck injury wise. 

26 minutes ago, Ikon said:

Cover/rotation kind of CM is pointless. Because once we do sign a quality starting CM we will have too many “average” player on our books. Sign quality and let players like Longstaff/Willock to name two, to become squad players. Whether it’s a Bruno aged player or a 20 year old top quality one they have to be starting players or near enough it at least and then become starting players because of their undoubted talent. Even if eased in in the beginning.

This.

I've never understood the 'we need to buy cover' as in lower quality players than our first 11 now.

Buy first 11 quality and let the squad competition become the cover. Longstaff/Willock would be decent squad players compared to the lack of cover we have now anyway.

My interpretation of this is we do have a limited spend in mind say under 50m to pick a figure out. We are monitoring and not rushing as there is usually more movement later in the window and if we spend our money now on tweaking the side or buying a backup and say a key member of the starting 11 gets injured we are then bringing summer spending forward limiting spending that window. An finally the budget needed for the summer is very much dependent on the rest of the season missing out or Europe, getting Europe and getting champions league massively changes the "plan" for the summer window. 

Edited by nufcjmc

45 minutes ago, FLUMPO235 said:

the discussions now will be, if we want to seriously keep top 4 and seriously go for one of the cups, then we have to spend.

From all accounts, as much as it a more tightly run ship for leaks these days, it suggests that the owners see CL this season as something that would be a huge bonus, but would be way ahead of schedule. I don't see them seriously risking long term plans/transfer strategy on what something that is still likely a long shot. We're in a great position at the moment. But Man U win their game in hand they go ahead of us. We're not miles clear of Spurs, and Liverpool will go on a run at some point. 

3 hours ago, Mahoneys Tache said:

Joelinton wasn’t good enough for us 18 months ago. Almiron wasn’t good enough for us a year ago. 
Bellamy was bang average before he came to us and SBR got ahold of him. 
No idea if the rumours are accurate but if they are I expect they have a good rationale for buying him and he’ll only get better here. 

Them players were already at the club , Bellamy was young and had a lot of potential. We shouldn’t be buying reserves from the team we are competing with for 4th, especially one who will cost like 40 million and isn’t very good anyway.

Edited by Geogaddi

Eddies quotes in the press conference were specifically that any transfer activity would be injury based and he specifically mentioned Shelvey’s injury. 

If you look at our two big injuries it’s him and Krafth. The noises from the local press are that we want a number 6 and a back up RB which is consistent with what Eddie has said. The local journos seemed to be briefed on the overall strategy but not on targets. Most of our transfer breaks come from the selling club/journos. 

8 minutes ago, sushimonster85 said:

From all accounts, as much as it a more tightly run ship for leaks these days, it suggests that the owners see CL this season as something that would be a huge bonus, but would be way ahead of schedule. I don't see them seriously risking long term plans/transfer strategy on what something that is still likely a long shot. We're in a great position at the moment. But Man U win their game in hand they go ahead of us. We're not miles clear of Spurs, and Liverpool will go on a run at some point. 

If we get those champions league nights back could anyone fix me up with one of those Android sticks  I'm not paying BT prices 

18 minutes ago, sushimonster85 said:

Finishing top four isn't a 'long shot' at all based on bookies odds.