Now That's What I Call Transfer Rumours! 7

Rich

17 minutes ago, Lush Vlad said:

Exactly. I swear people watch a different game or have short memories. Backs to the wall used to be games like Spurs away when Krul made about 10 decent/top class saves. Or most games under Bruce when we managed a win or a point. 

Plus we had significant periods where we were on top in the game. It was a similar split of pressure to us at Liverpool earlier on this season. Maybe 65% Arsenal 35% us. They were the home side. 

A lot of people being duped by the first 5 minutes and the last 10 minutes into thinking Arsenal were hugely dominant. They weren't. 

49 minutes ago, Thumbheed said:

It does but we'd need the revenue to sustain that and I don't think we're there at this stage yet.

Big outlays without the revenue to sustain these squads puts us in Leicester/West Ham/Everton territory.

Building sustainably with gradual improvements in squad quality alongside increasing revenue puts us in a far stronger position in the long run with the exact say goal and outcome (hopefully).

It depends what the actual circumstances are. Are we actually going to be looking for independent main sponsors at actual market value or will we be getting sponsors connected to PIF as a way to pump as much money as the PL will allow as fair market value into the club? No one outside of the club really knows that, although most assume it's the latter.

If it's the latter qualifying for the CL is likely to allow us a sudden huge jump in revenue because we'll be able to make a strong case that our fair market value is the same as the other PL clubs in the CL; Whereas if we're relying on 'real' sponsorships that real market value will probably rise more gradually.

23 minutes ago, Unbelievable said:

Qualifying for CL would surely be an enormous help with growing commercial revenue (be it Saudi sourced or genuine)? I’d like to see PL refuse us growth based on similar revenue levels as the “top” clubs when a couple of them finish underneath us, will fail to qualify for CL and hence will see their commercial appeal be lowered. When we get to sit at the big table try and push us out I say.

I dont disagree tbf, but and I'm no financial expert so may get this wrong but expenditure in this accounting period with lower revenues and turnover would contribute significantly to our FFP position, right?

As I say, I'm not against going for it this window but what seems realistic and attainable on paper (Maddison/Diaby and 2-3 youngsters) might not be so when you take their wages and amortisation into account. Even more so when  you consider we're not likely to get much for our fringe players nor is there likely to be a significant dent in our wages either. 

Brighton is the only game this season where we've been comprehensively outplayed iirc.

Them and Arsenal have definitely been the best sides (on the day) we've faced, but after realising Arsenal would pass through us for fun we sat back and dealt with them in a way we couldn't at the Amex.

8 minutes ago, Jackie Broon said:

It depends what the actual circumstances are. Are we actually going to be looking for independent main sponsors at actual market value or will we be getting sponsors connected to PIF as a way to pump as much money as the PL will allow as fair market value into the club? No one outside of the club really knows that, although most assume it's the latter.

If it's the latter qualifying for the CL is likely to allow us a sudden huge jump in revenue because we'll be able to make a strong case that our fair market value is the same as the other PL clubs in the CL; Whereas if we're relying on 'real' sponsorships that real market value will probably rise more gradually.

Yeh agree with this tbf. 

I watched years of Man Utd under SAF going to their rivals and shutting the game out, he even used to put an extra midfielder in to manage the opposition. I saw no difference between what we did, with the exception that SAF had some top drawer players to kill sides on the break.

2 hours ago, Nine said:

Problem is the wrong word, but it will probably change the initial planned timeline of things drastically. Europa league we could get away with a bit more but to put up a serious CL campaign and sustain PL form even with 3/4 more players from here will be a real challenge.

For the people saying ‘to good of an opportunity to miss CL, spend now and grab it’. Never that straightforward, I don’t think we’ll stray to far from our original layout for January.. the summer however.

It wasn’t meant to mean that I don’t want us to qualify. I would give my left nut to see us on a Thursday night with the champions league music blasting out. 

I just don’t see our (current) squad depth able to handle two cups, league and champions league in a season.

We need to be able to bring big Joe off or botman and not think. Oh for fuck sake not this kunt. That’s us probably fucked.

We need the same strength off the bench as on the pitch.

Lacelles, longshaft, as examples would get turned inside out all night.

2 hours ago, Hanshithispantz said:

Brighton is the only game this season where we've been comprehensively outplayed iirc.

Them and Arsenal have definitely been the best sides (on the day) we've faced, but after realising Arsenal would pass through us for fun we sat back and dealt with them in a way we couldn't at the Amex.

Totally agree with this.

3 hours ago, Hanshithispantz said:

Thought we were poor against Wolves as well and it took a Maxi wonder goal to save us, that performance has looked stranger and stranger the longer the season has gone on as well.

2 hours ago, Hanshithispantz said:

I've been keeping a mental note throughout the season of where our performances have been (as opposed to result) and what you say is correct. By my calculations:

Brighton outplayed us fair an square.

Man City was a 50/50 ding-dong

Liverpool and Man Utd bettered us for about 40 minutes in the second half but not too dissimilar to Arsenal.

Wolves first half was poor but we should have had a pen IIRC

In every other game we have been the better side, dominated possession, created more chances or been physically superior.

In 18 games of football, we've had about 3 lots of 90 minutes which have been sub-par, if you pieced together various games. Compare that to Man United, Liverpool, Chelsea and Spurs who have regularly stunk the place out. Its really been extraordinary.

3 hours ago, Thumbheed said:

I dont disagree tbf, but and I'm no financial expert so may get this wrong but expenditure in this accounting period with lower revenues and turnover would contribute significantly to our FFP position, right?

As I say, I'm not against going for it this window but what seems realistic and attainable on paper (Maddison/Diaby and 2-3 youngsters) might not be so when you take their wages and amortisation into account. Even more so when  you consider we're not likely to get much for our fringe players nor is there likely to be a significant dent in our wages either. 

This is a year old but TIFO did a "What can Newcastle spend" and they mentioned Newcastle sat at +100M at the start of the FFP period going into last season. They estimate a possible spend of 500M and still be in compliance.

In terms of our development as a side, I feel we can give anyone a game at home. Away from home we tend to put the shit away, but still struggle for control against better sides and end up playing as a spoiler.

This isn't a criticism, just an observation of where we're at. It's frankly amazing we've progressed as fast as we have.

1 hour ago, STM said:

I've been keeping a mental note throughout the season of where our performances have been (as opposed to result) and what you say is correct. By my calculations:

Brighton outplayed us fair an square.

Man City was a 50/50 ding-dong

Liverpool and Man Utd bettered us for about 40 minutes in the second half but not too dissimilar to Arsenal.

Wolves first half was poor but we should have had a pen IIRC

In every other game we have been the better side, dominated possession, created more chances or been physically superior.

In 18 games of football, we've had about 3 lots of 90 minutes which have been sub-par, if you pieced together various games. Compare that to Man United, Liverpool, Chelsea and Spurs who have regularly stunk the place out. Its really been extraordinary.

The Liverpool game was also without Bruno, Botman, Schar and Wilson. 

Edited by nufc123

Guest reefatoon
1 minute ago, Rafalove said:

Romano saying Chelsea want Thurman 

image.jpeg.aac78ff4ea4543e38c256a79784c279a.jpeg

They really are signing anyone and everyone

1 hour ago, McDog said:

This is a year old but TIFO did a "What can Newcastle spend" and they mentioned Newcastle sat at +100M at the start of the FFP period going into last season. They estimate a possible spend of 500M and still be in compliance.

This was heavily dependent on commercial income tbf.

Just now, reefatoon said:

image.jpeg.aac78ff4ea4543e38c256a79784c279a.jpeg

They really are signing anyone and everyone

Most of the time it's not actually even true but it does sicken me to my stomach that they get linked with literally every half decent player out there, because you just know it's plausible