Now That's What I Call Transfer Rumours! 7

Rich

1 hour ago, Geordie_once_removed said:

Everytime I click on this forum I feel like I've had a brain injury like the guy in Memento and unknowingly to me I'm reading the same 10 posts about if Chris Wood was shit or not. 

Not another post complaining about there being other posts about if Chris wood is shit or not.

6 hours ago, TheBrownBottle said:

They’re handing out 7-8 year contracts which means that the transfer fee is amortised over more years - e.g. they sign an £80m player on an eight year deal, that only hits their books at £10m per season.

But unless you grow revenues significantly in that period, you could just end up completely fucked in four or five years time if those players on still on your books a la Winston Bogarde

And how do you get players who know they’re on massive wages living in west London for so long from getting complacent and lazy. I think it’s gonna go horribly wrong Netflix documentary style in a few years.

”the demise of the Chelsea smile”

Edited by Gawalls

Chelsea can seemingly balance the books by selling a couple of home grown players over the next couple of windows, it's pure profit on Gallagher, Colwill & Chalobah and will easily offset the big spends.

2 minutes ago, Manxst said:

Wasn’t that Bruno and Botman, even after we signed them…? Some people are just never happy.

Yep, mainly. Quite funny craic re Botman when was his confused ‘Milan-curious’ phase. But PSG-deluded Hugo wasn’t exempt (though tongue in cheek). 

Gordon was a £50m target for Chelsea last season and given our scouting prowess to-date, there must be more to the lad than we've seen. Our exec team are too pragmatic to spunk £40m on a risky signing.

He is a minger, there's no doubt about that, and he wears some God awful clobber but Eddie has more than enough credit in the bank for me to question his judgement. 

4 hours ago, Geordie_once_removed said:

Everytime I click on this forum I feel like I've had a brain injury like the guy in Memento and unknowingly to me I'm reading the same 10 posts about if Chris Wood was shit or not. 

Finding dory syndrome?

Gordon fits the "mould" that eddie likes for his players, the only doubt I would have is his personality (in training, with team mates, off pitch activities etc.). What we see on the pitch is a nasty hungry player who also does a shift... This is what we want if the background checks on all the rest are good!

32 minutes ago, SUPERTOON said:

Bielsa would make or break Gordon, be ideal for us to wait 6 months and see how he performs under him (if he gets the job).

I guess the problem with this is that if he plays well under a new manager then the price in summer will be double what it is now.

If Ashworth and Howe really believe in the guy, now is probably the time to get him.

Disappointing if we dont sign anyone this window like. Sat 3rd, a real chance to kick on and qualify for the CL. Next season wont be as easy, we're gonna have a lot more games because the chances are we'll be in Europe and we may have lost a little bit of momentum. Could feel like an opportunity missed. 

I’d say it’s even more than disappointing. Outright very bad. But I’m sure there will be people convincing themselves otherwise. Also, no, I’m not screaming for all the toys..

Hopefully we can get 1-2 quality players in.

Edited by Ikon

2 hours ago, BoSelecta said:

Just watching Howe’s pre match presser and noticed he went ‘no comment’ when asked directly about Gordon. Contrasts with the ‘no truth to that’ when asked about McTomminay last week ?

He did just say ‘no comment about any player’ to be fair 

4 minutes ago, Doctor Zaius said:

Disappointing if we dont sign anyone this window like. Sat 3rd, a real chance to kick on and qualify for the CL. Next season wont be as easy, we're gonna have a lot more games because the chances are we'll be in Europe and we may have lost a little bit of momentum. Could feel like an opportunity missed. 

Need to freshen up the first XI if nothing else. They are starting to look knackered. 

3 hours ago, KDT said:

Chelsea can seemingly balance the books by selling a couple of home grown players over the next couple of windows, it's pure profit on Gallagher, Colwill & Chalobah and will easily offset the big spends.

If they sell those three it won't even come close to covering what they've spent recently, unless they've got some massively creative accounting or are ready to take the 'slap on the wrist' punishment for FFP. Which if i recall is a miniscule fine and a reduction in players available for European games (which they wont have anyway), and which will be overturned on appeal.

I think we would genuinely ask for trouble if we don’t get another quality CM in too. We have one that is very good on the ball, one.. 

A couple of quality players wouldn’t just improve the first 11 and the squad, it would also lift the belief and energy in the current ones. Mentality wise the current players could use an energy boost with a couple of players coming in to keep the momentum up. 

Edited by Ikon

I think the issue we have with our transfer strategy is the unknown quantity that is next season. It's looking increasingly nailed on that we will be playing some form of European football next season. At the start of the season a Europa/Conference League place would have been seen as the more natural progression. As it is, it looks like we may even end up with a CL spot.

The elephant in the room for next season is Chelsea and Liverpool. There's no way either will be as bad next season, so even if we do nab a CL spot this season, I still think the the realistic goal next season is to try and consolidate our spot as a top 6 side. So thinking pragmatically, if the goal next season is likely going to be the same regardless of where we finish, do we alter spending plans drastically in order to secure a temporary spike. Because wherever we finish this year I still think the ultimate goal is consistent CL football in 2/3 years, rather than from this season onwards.