Now That's What I Call Transfer Rumours! 7

Rich

I would love to see us sign Edson Alvarez - he’s so versatile too -  can play him as an emergency CB - great at breaking up play and starting moves - always canny at getting on the end of set pieces too 

To top it off he’s an absolute shithouse - more the merrier 

Edited by Mikky

9 minutes ago, Manxst said:

Don’t disagree about price or competitors. Just that we’d be interested and that we have been for a while. It’s only natural to be wanting the best players. Our best time was last summer though, I think, when we probably could’ve bid under the radar, so to speak. 

I think we'll start moving for these types of players once we have first built up the rest of the squad and become more of a consistent top 4 threat and managed to at least feature in the Champions League a few times. Right now we're just not there yet.

15 minutes ago, TheInfiniteOdyssey said:

At the risk of sounding like a spoilt brat, the forward options identified by the Athletic seem a tad uninspiring.

For the outlay you’d end up spending on any of those, I’d be wanting much more proven quality.

Johnson has 7 goals so far in his first PL season playing for relegation candidates, Nico Williams (21) has played 60+ games in La Liga & Joao Pedro (21) has played almost 100 games in England including a full season in the PL.

I'm not sure you're going to get a young forward with much more proven quality unless you go into the £60m+ range.

15 minutes ago, Mikky said:

I would love to see us sign Edson Alvarez

Certainly seems more doable this Summer. Weren't Chelsea supposedly the main competition for him in the Summer (if there was anything in that), I know Todd Boehly is a crazy MF'er, but you have to imagine they're not going to spend big on someone who plays in a very similar way to the guy (Enzo) they've just got huge on. 

I won't worry too much on who we miss out on. I'll be concentrating on who we manage to get in and that's the only thing that will count.

I won't waste any energy on being gutted on missing out on any target because what we don't get we don't generally expend much, if any energy on what might have been but plenty on what is and what is is any player that puts on that Newcastle United shirt.

It's nice to speculate though and even nicer if a target chooses another club and it all goes tits up.

Edited by magvicar
spelling

26 minutes ago, Mikky said:

I would love to see us sign Edson Alvarez - he’s so versatile too -  can play him as an emergency CB - great at breaking up play and starting moves - always canny at getting on the end of set pieces too 

To top it off he’s an absolute shithouse - more the merrier 

He’s not very good imo. Very poor technically and would be overpriced.

On 20/01/2023 at 13:53, arnonel said:

The irritating thing with this thread, is that someone will randomly say "We should go for X"

And everyone takes the bait, and debates that player to death

If only we had another thread to debate random players that are not linked in the press...

"Size, speed and athleticism are being prioritised as key attributes for incoming recruits, alongside technical excellence." - this is a rare combination but sound s like the earlier ones are being prioritised.

"There is a common theme emerging during discussions: that Newcastle, already one of the top flight’s most physical and athletic teams, crave even greater power, speed and dynamism throughout. Technical proficiency is also a prerequisite, but physical and aerobic attributes are key considerations." Smells like Gordon and McDominate. Would prefer us to focus on bringing in additional quality.

"Long-term targets, most notably Leicester City’s England midfielder James Maddison, remain of keen interest." - love that for us.

"an orthodox left-back, a centre-back (preferably a right-sided one), a defensive midfielder, a No 8 and potentially two forwards." I like it. Interested in the profile of the 8. Is it more Maddison / Odegaard (the AM in a 4-2-3-1) or Bruno / Cabaye 

" financial fair play (FFP) restrictions — which senior figures at Newcastle insist are a major constraint in their transfer plans — will affect their business." FFP Champs 23/24

"Yet there is a shared internal notion that Newcastle should make a push to regenerate to the furthest degree possible without compromising their financial position or upsetting squad harmony." Interesting. I think at some point, you have too. But I think this is when we are close and have a squad that only needs a little to get top 4.

"There is a realisation Newcastle simply do not have the player pool to compete in Europe’s elite club tournament and the Premier League simultaneously, so a top-four finish at the end of May might expedite additional elements of their revamp." Would be a great thing.

"Howe’s preference is for players with experience in Europe’s top five domestic leagues, especially the Premier League. But budgets and Ashworth’s remit to reduce the average age of the squad even further — according to Transfermarkt, Newcastle have the fifth-highest average age in the Premier League at 27.1 years — means that calculated gambles may need to be taken on imports from overseas or promising EFL players to bolster the ranks below the first XI." Thank God. We're not going to break into the top 4 abiding by FFP and signing young players with Premier League experience. Something will have to give and imo it should be the Prem league. We need our Yaya, Silva & Aguero signings at some point.

"Howe is also a long-term admirer of Arsenal’s Scotland international Kieran Tierney, so his situation is being monitored. Antonee Robinson of Fulham has been watched too." Based on rumours and his record at Bournemouth, i'm not loving Howe's approach to transfers. Over-rule him.

" Chelsea’s Conor Gallagher is a favourite of Howe’s and Alex Scott, a 19-year-old at Championship side Bristol City, has also caught Newcastle’s eye." I would welcome both of these at the right price however.

"McTominay - Howe values his experience and physicality." c'mon man.

"Midfielders in Germany and France are being watched extensively, too." Names would be nice

Pretty quiet on the striker front.

These have all been previously reported iirc? Not much is new here or things you couldn't easily deduce.

Edited by The College Dropout

I don't know why but I find it irationally annoying when people say Howe's signings where bad at Bournemouth :lol: 

He had full control over most incoming during his time their, and it got them from League Two to the Premier League, and keep them their and its really only his last couple in his final season where he had a couple of duds, with Bournemouth fans saying when he took over here that his record overall was half decent. :

When Bournemouth were in the Prem he regularly used players who had got him up through the divisions. Ritchie, Wilson, King, Pugh, Arter, Daniels, Francis, Cook and Smith. They're the ones I remember from the top of my head and it perhaps looked like the signings he made in the Prem weren't good ones because they couldn't displace players he used in lower divisions

I think like with any manager he made good signings and bad signings when they were in the Prem.

He was attempting to sign players to go play down to Bournemouth. He's hardly going to be competing with the established PL clubs during his time at Bournemouth where finances were tight, stadium was small and you had to find the exact right Howe type of player within the aforementioned constraints. 

Edited by Kanji

4 hours ago, sixx said:

I want Joao Palhinha. Badly. A midfield trio of Bruno, Palhinha and Joelinton/Willock would be brutal. 

He's literally carried Fulham to where they are this season.

I wonder if we'd move away from the 'no dickheads' policy to get us to the next level?

Just as an example (I don't think we'd be interested in him) but if we were offered someone like Rabiot on a free in the summer, would we take a risk on someone with questionable character if their playing performances would get us to a higher level

Just now, Geordie Ahmed said:

Of his big money signings it's only Ibe that was a massive flop really (maybe Rico too), Solanke has come good for them

Lerma, Ake, Billing, Danjuma all good for them

I think it's exaggerated that he bought badly for them

Ibe was pretty bad 

Just now, joeyt said:

I wonder if we'd move away from the 'no dickheads' policy to get us to the next level?

Just as an example (I don't think we'd be interested in him) but if we were offered someone like Rabiot on a free in the summer, would we take a risk on someone with questionable character if their playing performances would get us to a higher level

Maybe for an elite player we would but not for Rabiot, don't think the hassle is worth it

1 minute ago, joeyt said:

Have to if you want to compete I think, if you can get them ingratiated into the culture I think it’s fine. 

1 minute ago, joeyt said:

Doubt it. The togetherness of the squad (despite some not getting the game time they want) has been a key factor in the relative success of this season. Any disruption of that by a dickhead would be a major blow. 

Bournemouth was a totally different type of situation to try and attract players to than here. 

He came with a reputation of not being able to organise a defense and having an iffy transfer record. I think he's showed enough on both fronts that we should probably just trust him, like [emoji38]