Now That's What I Call Transfer Rumours! 7

Rich

3 hours ago, TheBrownBottle said:

Rice would be the biggest signing since pre-Ashley.  It would be an unbelievable deal tbh.  It still feels like we’re a couple of years away from a signing like that, but wor Eddie didn’t exactly rule it out …

With Champions League he is definitely gettable.

If we do move for Declan Rice I'll be fascinated to see how it breaks down financially. Hopefully not just a Maddison style two bids, fail to budge and nothing happens situation. He's gonna cost huge money and I just don't see it happening.

Edited by Skeletor

5 minutes ago, Skeletor said:

If we do move for West Ham I'll be fascinated to see how it breaks down financially. Hopefully not just a Maddison style two bids, fail to budge and nothing happens situation. He's gonna cost huge money and I just don't see it happening.

Ambitious like

There wasn't really anything in the interview to suggest that Eddie was after Declan Rice in particular.

It'll be interesting to see where he goes and for how much. The elite clubs look well served in that department already, with Enzo, Rodri, Partey, Casemiro. Liverpool maybe?

I don't think it'll be us though.

6 minutes ago, Cronky said:

There wasn't really anything in the interview to suggest that Eddie was after Declan Rice in particular.

It'll be interesting to see where he goes and for how much. The elite clubs look well served in that department already, with Enzo, Rodri, Partey, Casemiro. Liverpool maybe?

Liverpool don’t have 100m.

Aren't him and his family all Chelsea fans? I could be totally wrong, but maybe he would prefer to stay in Landan. He might have little choice mind, with his mental price tag.

Edited by Klaus

56 minutes ago, Cronky said:

Arsenal may well be looking at a DM, for reasons…

They are linked with Rice in the Times today - but that might be just because they’re playing each other. 

Just now, WilliamPS said:

Arsenal may well be looking at a DM, for reasons…

They are linked with Rice in the Times today - but that might be just because they’re playing each other. 

They've been linked with him for a while and it's his most likely destination imo. He'd be a great fit there and could replace Partey or Xhaka in their XI. 

9 hours ago, Skeletor said:

If we do move for Declan Rice I'll be fascinated to see how it breaks down financially. Hopefully not just a Maddison style two bids, fail to budge and nothing happens situation. He's gonna cost huge money and I just don't see it happening.

I agree. In many ways he’s the perfect signing for us but the transfer fee and wages would be astronomical. He’d want way higher than our highest paid player and that then knocks everything out of kilter. I’m not saying there’s no chance it happens but I see him going Arsenal or Chelsea (his boyhood club) or maybe even City? I think we will probably opt to spend 35-50 on a midfielder (e.g Edson Alvarez at Ajax) allowing us more financial room to sign quality in several other positions. Either way though Champions league qualification really does make the summer very interested indeed.

Edited by ExiledGeordie

17 hours ago, timeEd32 said:

There aren't many worse situations for a young player than Chelsea this season. Dysfunction, three managers, and tons of talent to compete with for regular playing time.

True, Chelsea is a mess. But would he be more than a rotation option in our team? He is not better than Willock/Joelinton or Bruno, so would fight for the third spot with Longstaff, who has clear weaknesses, but is using 30-40 million on Gallagher the best option to upgrade Longstaff? Not sure about that. 

12 minutes ago, Smal said:

They've been linked with him for a while and it's his most likely destination imo. He'd be a great fit there and could replace Partey or Xhaka in their XI. 

I don't think he'd fit into Arsenal's style at all. Rice has his qualities, but I don't think he's a great passer of the ball, and doesn't seem to go in for the short, quick interchanges that Arsenal like. And the Arsenal midfield has Partey, Xhaka, Jorginho, and Odegaard, with Smith-Rowe coming through. Unless they have him in mind as a defender, I don't see any space for him.

9 minutes ago, Cronky said:

I don't think he'd fit into Arsenal's style at all. Rice has his qualities, but I don't think he's a great passer of the ball, and doesn't seem to go in for the short, quick interchanges that Arsenal like. And the Arsenal midfield has Partey, Xhaka, Jorginho, and Odegaard, with Smith-Rowe coming through. Unless they have him in mind as a defender, I don't see any space for him.

He's pretty much as good at passing as Partey is imo and Arteta is a good coach so will improve him further. Rice has never had a particularly amazing coach in his career, so there'll be loads of room for improvement with him. His passing is underrated anyway because we don't see the best of him for England - he has an 87% completion rate despite attempting a lot of medium and long passes. 

A club like Arsenal will probably be desperate to phase Partey out. It's not good for the brand. 

We’re not signing Rice. We need around half a dozen quality players, including around 3 first teamers. Even if we could sign him, you could probably get Thuram/Ugarte, Pedro, and a good left back for what he would cost.

Just now, Kimbo said:

We’re not signing Rice. We need around half a dozen quality players, including around 3 first teamers. Even if we could sign him, you could probably get Thuram/Ugarte, Pedro, and a good left back for what he would cost.

Exactly. We’ve scouted smart so far and avoided the trappings of headline signings. Long may it continue as far as I’m concerned.

1 hour ago, Kimbo said:

Aye, agree 100%. 90/100 million could be much better spent