Now That's What I Call Transfer Rumours! 7

Rich

Good player gets linked with us "he's amazing great stuff I'm following him on social media"

Nothing happens because the season is running and the window hasn't opened "getting a bit worried now if he doesn't come"

Player gets linked elsewhere "worra cunt I never liked him anyway he's getting bloke form social media, In fact I'm giving him abuse"

All the time, the player and the clubs haven't said a word, the whole situation is just set up by newspaper hacks and rumour merchants to get clicks

12 minutes ago, Yorkie said:

That's really depressing if so, and I'd say that even if I was a neutral. Spurs are a hair away from being a complete basket case, and if Postecoglou goes wrong then they absolutely are that. Meanwhile we're in the CL; a settled club on an upward trajectory. Someone like him choosing Spurs over us suggests the Big 6 brand is a long way from being dismantled.

Oh I agree but it’s probably a biased opinion. I feel we’re a season or two away (providing we finish in the top 5 and they don’t) from competing head-to-head with them on transfer targets.

London, possibly the best stadium in the world, a bigger global fanbase (Spurs have over 20m followers on instagram vs. our <2m) and the fact that they’re still considered a “big 6” side just experiencing a wobble will mean many short-sighted footballers will still see them as a more attraction proposition, currently.

We need to establish ourselves as not just a moneybags team that’s overachieved for a season in order to really upset the apple cart. A good showing in the CL and a top 5 finish this season will go a long way to achieving that imo.

Edited by McCormick

3 minutes ago, Yorkie said:

You're not going Agbonlahor on us here, are you?

:lol: No, but obviously London is a factor. Another factor could just as easily be Maddison being a divy though, the possibilities are endless. 

12 minutes ago, Yorkie said:

That's really depressing if so, and I'd say that even if I was a neutral. Spurs are a hair away from being a complete basket case, and if Postecoglou goes wrong then they absolutely are that. Meanwhile we're in the CL; a settled club on an upward trajectory. Someone like him choosing Spurs over us suggests the Big 6 brand is a long way from being dismantled.

Sometimes it’s simply down to personal preference. Maybe Maddison and his family just want to settle in London?

He will also be on higher wages there I’d expect.

8 minutes ago, manorpark said:

If that is correct, then we would NOT want him here anyway.

Any quality player, after being told that WE want him, that picks any English club (apart from Man City) over us is quite simply not worth bothering with.

We are the Premier League "hot ticket" now (and for the forseeable future) and anyone who cannot see that is an idiot and therefore we do not want them.

SIMPLE but true.

That makes sense until you realise that the likes of Chelsea and Man United will eclipse our wage offers. 

17 minutes ago, TRon said:
21 minutes ago, Yorkie said:

It might just be his personality. Maddison might be the Bright Lights Big City type, maybe he really wants to be in London. Which means he's the wrong player for us anyway.

Think he'd likely get more game time at Spurs than us as well. 

24 minutes ago, Yorkie said:

It's probably a similar boat to when Everton wanted Parker and Emre after they finished 4th in 2005, and they came to us because we blew their wages out of the water. 

16 minutes ago, Shearergol said:

Maddison wants to play for Arsenal, so I'm gonna take the massive leap and say he'll go to Spurs, simply because they're in London.

He would be a canny signing for Arsenal I think, He would improve their squad which is what they lack in depth.

I wouldn't begrudge Maddison choosing Spurs over us. He's no reason to have any affinity for us and I imagine living in London as a millionaire would be amazing if that's what you're in to. It's not like Spurs are a small club or owt either. He can have a very good career there. I don't get people attacking his character for making that choice at all. 

11 minutes ago, KDT said:

I mean in reality the great thing is that none of us have really got a fucking clue what's going on.

We don’t, but we do usually sign players that have already been linked in the media for a while 

Maddison wants to move to North London to be nearer to Alexandra Palace. Whenever i see that imaginary dart in his hand, i tend to think its an imaginary cock coming out of his forehead. 

On 07/06/2023 at 11:22, Sima said:

Thauvin had obvious talent.  Would have been better being managed by Eddie rather than an absolute roaster like McClaren.

I think he went on to do well in Ligue 1 but I didn’t see any of this supposed talent for us. None.  Zilch. Saw more talent from Marveaux. 

You have to question the ambition of any player preferring Spurs over us at the minute. 

London is obviously a better place to live as a millionaire, but is it as good for the career, where marginal gains have never been as important? Two England caps and one FA Cup, I'd have thought adding to that would be more important than living in London, where after you're done in 5/6 years, you can live for the rest of your life if you want.

Just now, The Prophet said:

Scott Wilson thinks we're in for Rice. He knows about as much as we do though.

Wilson coming across as a massive grifter. We don’t have £90m to spend on a single player and £200k+ a week.

1 minute ago, The Prophet said:

Scott Wilson thinks we're in for Rice. He knows about as much as we do though.

We can disregard this. If it was true Scott Wilson wouldn’t be the person breaking it. 

Besides Champions league football this season I’m not sure what we can provide  that makes us more attractive than Spurs at this current moment.

Bigger wages? Probably not.

More exciting project? Possibly but it’s fairly nebulous and anything can happen in football.

Better stadium? Nah

better training facilities? Nah

Better squad? On paper, no.

Better city? I’d say so but many would prefer London.

Better chance of finishing in the top 4 next season? I’d say that was up in the air with them being able to focus on the league.

Bigger global fanbase? No

Better crowd? Yes but it’s not usually key component of a players decision to sign for a club.