Now That's What I Call Transfer Rumours! 7

Rich

Just now, McCormick said:

Besides Champions league football this season I’m not sure what we can provide  that makes us more attractive than Spurs at this current moment.

Bigger wages? Probably not.

More exciting project? Possibly but it’s fairly nebulous and anything can happen in football.

Better stadium? Nah

better training facilities? Nah

Better squad? On paper, no.

Better city? I’d say so but many would prefer London.

Better chance of finishing in the top 4 next season? I’d say that was up in the air with them being able to focus on the league.

Bigger global fanbase? No

Better crowd? Yes but it’s not usually key component of a players decision to sign for a club.

mackem

I don’t think us being a much better project than Spurs is nebulous at all.

Also think you’re clutching at straws a bit to suggest playing ina better stadium would be key in a player making a decision to join your club, but playing infront of better fans wouldn’t.

Edited by Rafalove

51 minutes ago, Smal said:

I wouldn't begrudge Maddison choosing Spurs over us. He's no reason to have any affinity for us and I imagine living in London as a millionaire would be amazing if that's what you're in to. It's not like Spurs are a small club or owt either. He can have a very good career there. I don't get people attacking his character for making that choice at all. 

I wouldn't begrudge him it, but it would make me think the Leicester fans who have been slagging him off for being half arsed might have a point. If he was a foreign player I might understand the attraction of London, but I just think he should have football ambitions as well, and we are going places, Spurs aren't.

Again, nothing against a player choosing lifestyle first, it just means he's not suited for us.

51 minutes ago, Smal said:

I wouldn't begrudge Maddison choosing Spurs over us. He's no reason to have any affinity for us and I imagine living in London as a millionaire would be amazing if that's what you're in to. It's not like Spurs are a small club or owt either. He can have a very good career there. I don't get people attacking his character for making that choice at all. 

I wouldn't begrudge him it, but it would make me think the Leicester fans who have been slagging him off for being half arsed might have a point. If he was a foreign player I might understand the attraction of London, but I just think he should have football ambitions as well, and we are going places, Spurs aren't.

Again, nothing against a player choosing lifestyle first, it just means he's not suited for us.

My main hypothesis about why people might not pick us this summer might be more around whether we fluked top 4 or not. I think people will be wondering if we can sustain it.

16 minutes ago, McCormick said:

Besides Champions league football this season I’m not sure what we can provide  that makes us more attractive than Spurs at this current moment.

More exciting project? Possibly but it’s fairly nebulous and anything can happen in football.

Better stadium? Nah

Better chance of finishing in the top 4 next season? I’d say that was up in the air with them being able to focus on the league.

Better crowd? Yes but it’s not usually key component of a players decision to sign for a club.

Depends if you they look short or long term.. 

Spurs have survived of having Kane and a shed load of money from Bale back in the day.

Even their stadium revenue will not allow them to challenge the likes of City, Chelsea or fingers crossed us in the future.

And I'm not sure if their new manager is any different to Rodgers, Gerrard or Lennon who all had success in Scotland 

BAYER LEVERKUSEN WANT AT LEAST €100M FOR MOUSSA DIABY AND JEREMIE FRIMPONG

After missing out on the Champions League, Bayer Leverkusen are expected to rebuild their squad this summer. According to Kicker, they have the fourth-highest salary in the Bundesliga and with contracts until 2025, Moussa Diaby and Jeremie Frimpong are considered as potential candidates for a sale.

For the sale of Diaby and Frimpong, Bayer Leverkusen expect to receive a fee of around €100m for the duo, of which a percentage will then be reinvested back into the squad.

Jonathan Tah is also expected to leave Bayer Leverkusen this summer with a reported exit clause of €18m and clubs from both England and Italy courting the German central-defender. For the trio, B04 could see an influx of around €120m flow into the club.

It’s also been no secret that Bayer Leverkusen would be open to selling Diaby should they receive a suitable offer. Arsenal, Newcastle United and PSG have all shown considerable interest in the Frenchman, who recorded 25 goal contributions (14 goals, 11 assists) in 48 games across all competitions for Leverkusen this season.

It was reported last month by Sport Bild that Newcastle were preparing an offer for Diaby. Further to interest in Diaby, Tah has received enquiries from the Premier League, one club being West Ham who won their first European trophy, since 1965, on Wednesday night.

getfootballnewsgermany.com (Having a nightmare pasting full links again)

22 minutes ago, McCormick said:

Better stadium? Nah

We're not the third biggest club in our city for starters. Going from WH to Spurs isn't a big enough step up for him imo.  He's 24 years old and there's no guarantee Spurs finish in the top 6 next season, never mind the top 4.  Will he really want to leave it until his late 20's before he's got a decent chance of playing in the CL?

I'm fairly sure we would break our wage structure for Rice. I'm also fairly certain that we won't get close enough for it to be a factor.

He will go to Arsenal, Chelsea or Man Utd.

Pointless worrying about where is the better project and why player X might choose which club. We're class, we're on the up, we have picked exactly the right players and personalities so far. I'm sure we'll get some new class lads in. 

7 minutes ago, The Prophet said:

For the sale of Diaby and Frimpong, Bayer Leverkusen expect to receive a fee of around €100m for the duo, of which a percentage will then be reinvested back into the squad.

Does this mean they want 100m for each of them, which isn't doable. Or hope to raise 100m selling both, meaning Diaby would likely be in the 50-60m range. Which is more doable. 

17 minutes ago, Rafalove said:

I don’t think us being a much better project than Spurs is nebulous at all.

Also think you’re clutching at straws a bit to suggest playing ina better stadium would be key in a player making a decision to join your club, but playing infront of better fans wouldn’t.

Of course it’s nebulous, at least in the short-term. We went from relegation candidates to top 4 with 120m spend. With FFP, Spurs can match our transfer spend until we sort out our commercial revenue streams. It’s not out of the realms of possibility that we finish 8th and they finish top 5/CL next season; anything can happen in football. In the short-term we’re not necessarily a better proposition is all I’m saying; most players don’t make their decision based on what will happen 5 years down the line.

31 minutes ago, McCormick said:

Better stadium? Nah

Aside from wages and location you've left out something that should matter and will to some players -- a better manager with a track record of improving players. If Maddison has England ambitions this should matter.

The con for a player is it's probably known you can't just show up to Newcastle for a paycheck. Eddie is going to make you work.

I’ve not watched Tyler Adams all that much, but the majority of Leeds fans seem to really like him. They absolute hate McFattie, Aaronson and Roca, so maybe there’s a player there who just needs to be playing in a better team.

(Would much rather we sign someone else and haven’t seen a credible report of interest)

1 minute ago, McCormick said:

It’s not out of the realms of possibility that we finish 8th and they finish top 5/CL next season; anything can happen in football. In the short-term we’re not necessarily a better proposition is all I’m saying; most players don’t make their decision based on what will happen 5 years down the line.

This is right. There's a reason it's called 'the big 6' rather than top 6. There are 6 sides in the league who's commercial revenue is on a different, and can therefore spend more than the rest. Granted, Spurs out and us in should happen in the next few years, but we're not there yet. We need a few seasons of consistent European qualification, and to continue our commercial overhaul at pace. 

Rice would be an unbelievable signing, and one which definitely has the potential to elevate us to the next level.

Sadly I suspect the fee and, more importantly, wages, would be out of our scope for the moment.

Adams has generally been very good whenever I've watched him for Leeds or the US. He has a great engine and gets through loads of graft. Not the best with the ball at his feet, but he'd be a reasonably cheap option if we're looking at a number six type.

I do think we would be willing to pay the fee for Rice but the wages and the London pull will probably make us short on what he wants. He's the next England captain, I think for that reason we/PIF would find a way to get the fee sorted within FFP, it would be massive for PIF to have the England captain playing for a team they own.

Madrid got a great deal for Bellingham if Rice goes for the supposed fee being quoted, 5 years younger, and Bellingham is a level above Rice and has a much higher ceiling, very possibly a future Ballon D'or winner whereas Rice close to 0% chance to win that in his career.