Newcastle United 2-0 Nottingham Forest (06/08/2022)

loki679

Awesome result, could have been alot more. From Forest forum. 

With all the good pressing and possession that Newcastle had, they were poor in the final 3rd, a real good team would have scored 4 or 5 past us.

Our final 3rd play with the ball did not impress.  Our XG was really low for how much we dominated possession and territory. 

Almiron got into brilliant positions with off the ball runs combined with great passing by Bruno and Trippier.  But his end product isn't strong enough.  

Wilson scored an absolute peach of a goal, but - and I might be way out here - he looked half a yard off the pace and not really in the battle with the Forest defenders.

I think if we can finish the transfer window with 1 or 2 forward upgrades, we'll be in for a very enjoyable season.  Otherwise, it'll just be an enjoyable season :lol: 

22 minutes ago, David Edgar said:

Our final 3rd play with the ball did not impress.  Our XG was really low for how much we dominated possession and territory. 

Almiron got into brilliant positions with off the ball runs combined with great passing by Bruno and Trippier.  But his end product isn't strong enough.  

Wilson scored an absolute peach of a goal, but - and I might be way out here - he looked half a yard off the pace and not really in the battle with the Forest defenders.

I think if we can finish the transfer window with 1 or 2 forward upgrades, we'll be in for a very enjoyable season.  Otherwise, it'll just be an enjoyable season :lol: 

I get what your saying but they also came here and shut up shop. Our team definitely isn’t used to that. 

8 hours ago, NE27 said:

Where did he go? Seemed a good poster.

8 hours ago, Kid Icarus said:

No idea. Haven't spoken to him for ages, I didn't know he'd left until someone mentioned it recently. Just hope it's a positive change for him that he needed.

8 hours ago, The Prophet said:

Someone was saying that he got a job scouting for Stoke. Fair play.

8 hours ago, POOT 2.0 said:

Seriously? Or is that a joke I've been whooshed on? :lol: 

Yeah he’s a scout for Stoke now. He’s doing and feeling well it seems. I’ll try and get him back on. He’s still in the forum WhatsApp group so will let him know he’s missed.

2 minutes ago, WarrenBartonCentrePartin said:

Do wonder what some fans are experiencing sometimes. Was walking down St James' Boulevard and there were Forest fans behind us. They never heard a peep until we scored apparently. which is total bollocks but best of all they deserved something from the game :lol: 

I'm still giggling at how laughably bad Colback was.

That's just the brains defence mechanisms kicking in after a traumatic event. What Bruno did to them was akin to them walking in on their daughter being blasted by The Great Khali.

What a nice feeling to be able to wake up and reflect on such a positive performance.

With the team as is, I see us finishing 8-10th.  We have a really strong first team with only the RWF position a bit of a question mark over if Almiron is good enough for a team aiming for European football.  The issue is the lack of a plan B or substitute players who can change the game. We only have Shelvey injured but when you look at that bench we had (Dummett, Botman, Richie, Wood, Fraser, Murphy, Anderson and Longstaff) you ask who can allow us to play a different way or do who you feel would impact the game? There are a few who, like yesterday, will help us see out games with energy and pressing, but none who at this stage I would label proven game changers.

As others have said a couple of attacking additions and this changes and we could sneak 6th.

1 hour ago, LFEE said:

Yeah he’s a scout for Stoke now. He’s doing and feeling well it seems. I’ll try and get him back on. He’s still in the forum WhatsApp group so will let him know he’s missed.

Well done Mandoon

"I've found this great striker.  I've watched him loads over the years and can give you a full report.  He isn't playing much at the minute, but he is from a higher division and I'm sure he'll set this place alight.  I'm sure his current club will let him go for the right price"

1 hour ago, WarrenBartonCentrePartin said:

Do wonder what some fans are experiencing sometimes. Was walking down St James' Boulevard and there were Forest fans behind us. They never heard a peep until we scored apparently. which is total bollocks but best of all they deserved something from the game :lol: 

I'm still giggling at how laughably bad Colback was.

To be fair, every single away end says the exact same thing about home fans up and down the country each week. Home fans also think they were louder. Tends to be a case the seat you’re in will dominate the noise from what’s immediately around you rather than across the other side of the pitch.

I thought the atmosphere started well, tailed off as nerves crept in and immediately came to life when we scored. Again, pretty much what happens at every single stadium.

I find the whole “we sung more songs than you” pretty 17-18 years old. Unless SJP was sat in complete silence for 90 minutes, it’s not a total surprise the atmosphere will go in peaks and troughs.

1 hour ago, LFEE said:

He’s a good poster, glad he’s doing well.

Our ground more than anywhere else has shit acoustics as well. Had this conversation on here before but from my seat at the back of the corner you're lucky to hear the away fans once a game so nee surprise they can't hear our noisiest area of the ground either

Edited by jack j

4 minutes ago, Ronson333 said:

Reading the Forest forum, they are a bit shell shocked at how bad they were and how good we are now.  I think it just shows how big the gap to the premier league actually is…

You could argue that Forest got promoted a season too early, when Cooper came in they where rock bottom after 8 games without a win. He then picked up a few wins as he's a very competent manager, and tactically switched on, them wins then boosted confidence and they just rode that wave all the way to the Play-Offs and promotion.

The end result being that a squad of mid-table championship players got promoted who where no-where near good enough for the transition across, and half there players contracts where up, or on loan, so at that point you have to decide if you stick or twist with the same set. They decided the latter and it's going to be a harsh couple of weeks for them while the bed in. Hopefully they do as a club like Forest deserve to be in the Premier League, certainly more so then teams like Norwich.

I think they'll do alright once they adjust a bit.  We we're probably the worst place to come to at the minute (outside of the obvious; Anfield, Etihad, Tottenham Hotspur Stadium).

A team who are not going to be particularly great on the ball at this level (yet anyway) and used to playing out from the back, are going to be like a deer in the headlights against relentless off the ball pressure. They made a load of unforced errors too. 

Think the plan was probably for them to play a 3-4-3 and be in the game more but they dropped to 5 at the back pretty quickly. Steve Cooper seems a good, modern manager, I think he'll learn quick.

Edited by Hanshithispantz