Newcastle United 2-0 Nottingham Forest (06/08/2022)

loki679

36 minutes ago, 1964 said:

It was pure Sunday morning stuff.  

'OK lads what we'll do is hang outside the area and all run in, that'll confuse them'

out the Bruce handbook of nothing . 

3 minutes ago, POOT 2.0 said:

A better representation of the game (compared to BBC's). Weird that Willock didn't react to Wilson's goal.

As good a strike as it was from Schar the second goal was a great move.

6 hours ago, Smal said:

This is cool. You don’t see 80%+ field tilt very often at all.

It does kind of show we need another more clinical forward with end product though, because we had the ball in their third virtually all game but the xG is only 1.28.

I just see the video for Disappointed by Electronic looking at all that jizz.

In old money though we played really well and deserved the win

ed.jpg

Edited by Wolfcastle

On 06/08/2022 at 17:59, Zero said:

I think it’s fair to say that we have the best Bruno in the world

We watched the game in a bar in spain. Kids were initially gutted our hols clashed with game. Anyway, great atmosphere in the bar. But we had 2 piece band on that night, we a cracking young guitar player who happened to be called Bruno. 

The bemused and then chuffed look on his face at the chants of BRUNOOOO! after each song was amazing. 

Miggy got some stick on Saturday but, on reflection, I actually thought he provided a fair final ball on a few occasions (not all on his left foot either, I think they've been working on that a bit). It's curious that Bruno's chemistry is so good in terms of picking out Miggy's runs but there's been very little evidence of any kind of similar relationship with ASM. Feels like Maxi only ever makes dashes behind the backline when we're on the counter with loads of space.

On 06/08/2022 at 18:31, Big Geordie said:

I did think Forest would have been more up for it. Then again, they've pretty much bought an entire new XI so will probs take time to gel.

Still got a bit of a soft spot for them, due to Cloughie.

They were my second team late 70s early 80s when we were in the old div 2.

22 minutes ago, Gallowgate Toon said:

Miggy got some stick on Saturday but, on reflection, I actually thought he provided a fair final ball on a few occasions (not all on his left foot either, I think they've been working on that a bit). It's curious that Bruno's chemistry is so good in terms of picking out Miggy's runs but there's been very little evidence of any kind of similar relationship with ASM. Feels like Maxi only ever makes dashes behind the backline when we're on the counter with loads of space.

Bruno naturally moves to that side tbh. ASM tends to face up defenders rather than run in behind as well. ASM still has a pretty strong relationship with Targett and Joelinton

Edited by Kid Icarus

There was a great bit of play that I havnt seen in any of the highlights so far.

Willock was near the far corner and made a lungbusting run towards the touchline to win the ball back and then he got there, he made a sliding tackle and the ball went out of play i think??

Anyway, Howe starting applauding his effort before he even got to the touchline and was full of praise for him.

Great to see.

17 hours ago, Smal said:

This is cool. You don’t see 80%+ field tilt very often at all.

It does kind of show we need another more clinical forward with end product though, because we had the ball in their third virtually all game but the xG is only 1.28.

Those progression via carry vs progression via pass stats confirm my doubts, Willock is our weakest point in the current team, not Miggy.

Sometimes you have to go back to those numbers to have a bigger picture, and I always believed adding an attacking midfielder will add more to our current team than adding a right winger since Willock doesn’t add much to the way Eddie plays.

Let’s go back to the basics and ask, what does Willock offer? He can run with the ball in free spaces/ counter attacks, and he is decent in front of the goal. Since Howe came, we have been playing a possession based football, and just like against Forest, we spent the majority of the game in their half passing the ball around and looking for holes in their defense. Here the ability of Willock to run in empty spaces becomes less important. Why did Arsenal sell him when he was a graduate of their academy? Because (and the numbers show) he isn’t a great passer. He lacks the composure or technical ability to play that type of football. He might be better suited for a team that will play on counter attacks, which was the case for Newcastle before the takeover.  Even his greatest strength (ball carrying) was low against Forest because we cornered them in their area and did not allow them to move forward and create those spaces.

ASM on the other hand had outstanding ball carry stats because he relies on his excellent dribbling skills to carry the ball, and that was crucial against Forest in order to penetrate their defenses. But Willock generally relies on speed to carry the ball. There was no space for him to sprint. In such games, we need players who are great at passing or great at dribbling , and Willock offers niether of those things. 

this ,in my opinion, explains why we are in for the likes of Maddison who would add a lot more to the game had he been with us last weekend. What’s a midfielder doing if he isn’t progressing the ball through passing or carrying? Joe is a monster at winning the ball back, and that indirectly adds to our possession. Bruno is tasked to play deeper. We must add a more creative midfielder upfront. Willock can be useful in games where we are not expected to win possession for those counter attacks, he could make a great sub then. 

Edited by Solitude20

12 hours ago, POOT 2.0 said:

A better representation of the game (compared to BBC's). Weird that Willock didn't react to Wilson's goal.

Neither did Almiron, I wouldn't read anything into that other than job done

While a 7/10 isn't particularly controversial, I'm not sure I was watching the same game. He cut them open a few times with that ball between the centre back and full back.

Edited by The Prophet

4 minutes ago, Solitude20 said:

Those progression via carry vs progression via pass stats confirm my doubts, Willock is our weakest point in the current team, not Miggy.

Sometimes you have to go back to those numbers to have a bigger picture, and I always believed adding an attacking midfielder will add more to our current team than adding a right winger since Willock doesn’t add much to the way Eddie plays. Let’s go back to the basics and ask, what does Willock offer? He can run with the ball in free spaces/ counter attacks, and he is decent in front of the goal. Since Howe came, we have been playing a possession based football, and just like against Forest, we spent the majority of the game in their half passing the ball around and looking for holes in their defense. Here the ability of Willock to run in empty spaces becomes less important. Why did Arsenal sell him when he was a graduate of their academy? Because (and the numbers show) he isn’t a great passer. He lacks the composure or technical ability to play that type of football. He might be better suited for a team that will play on counter attacks, which was the case for Newcastle before the takeover.  Even his greatest strength (ball carrying) was low against Forest because we cornered them in their area and did not allow them to move forward and create those spaces.

ASM on the other hand had outstanding ball carry stats because he relies on his excellent dribbling skills to carry the ball, but Willock generally relies on speed to carry the ball. There was no space for him to sprint. In such games, we need players who are great at passing or great at dribbling , and Willock offers niether of those things. 

this ,in my opinion, explains why we are in for the likes of Maddison who would add a lot more to the game had he been with us last weekend. What’s a midfielder doing if he isn’t progressing the ball through passing or carrying? Joe is a monster at winning the ball back, and that indirectly adds to our possession. Bruno is tasked to play deeper. We must add a more creative midfielder upfront. Willock can be usefil in games where we are not expected to win possession for those counter attacks, he could make a great sub then. 

Interesting analysis. I do agree that Willock maybe can't offer much when we have the ball against a low block. He barely got on the ball, really. Bruno had nearly twice as many touches.

Willock's main strength on Saturday was his defensive actions and counter press. Completed the most tackles (4/4, including 3 in the opposition third) and had the highest % of successful pressures. He's obviously good at pressing high up the pitch which we've clearly been focusing on.

8 minutes ago, The Prophet said:

While a 7/10 isn't particularly controversial, Im not sure I was watching the same game. He cut them open a few times with that ball between the centre back and full back.

7 out of 10 is the highest score in that games. It isn’t bad at all. Plus, we dominated the game through teamwork rather than individual brilliance of some players. 

Edit: I probably need a new pair of glasses. Burn and Schar got 7.5

Edited by Solitude20

Ratings is all relevant to what opposition team and other players are scored at though isn't it?

Only Schar and Burn got a better score. Provided none of the N.Forest players got above 6.5 that would make Joelinton & Bruno the joint second best players on the pitch according to Hope, which I think is a fair assessment.

Edited by Conjo

1 minute ago, Conjo said:

Ratings are all relevant to what opposition team and other players are scored at though isn't it?

Only Schar and Burn got a better score. Provided none of the N.Forest players got above 6.5 that would make Joelinton & Bruno the joint second best players on the pitch according to Hope, which I think is a fair assessment.

Schar and Burn had fuck all to do for the majority of the game so not sure how he can score them higher than the 3 midfielders who ran the show

2 minutes ago, jack j said:

Schar and Burn had fuck all to do for the majority of the game so not sure how he can score them higher than the 3 midfielders who ran the show

Schar scored our opening goal. Burn was flawless defensively. Forests most talented attacking player didn't get a sniff at goal due to him.

Edit: I should clarify, I had Joelinton as my motm. I don't think it's unreasonable (certainly not to the extent that people feel the need to have a go at the journalist on twitter :lol:) to rate our CB's higher though despite that I disagree with it.

Edited by Conjo

Tbh, I tend to rate based on how much I enjoyed a player's performance. Couldn't care less if Forest were weak or whatever, every single one of those players was on it in one way or another from start to finish. 

If you start out by giving Pope, who had literally nothing to do, a 6.5, then giving Trippier a 5.5, Willock a 6, and Bruno and Joelinton 7s makes no sense when none of them put a foot wrong while also having much more to do. 

Edited by Kid Icarus

18 minutes ago, Kid Icarus said:

Tbh, I tend to rate based on how much I enjoyed a player's performance. Couldn't care less if Forest were weak or whatever, every single one of those players was on it in one way or another from start to finish. 

If you start out by giving Pope, who had literally nothing to do, a 6.5, then giving Trippier a 5.5, Willock a 6, and Bruno and Joelinton 7s makes no sense when none of them put a foot wrong while also having much more to do. 

Bit of a throwback to last season (Jan onwards) when it was seeminhly nothing to do with how we played, the other teams just didn't turn up.......week after week after week.