Newcastle United 2-0 Nottingham Forest (06/08/2022)

loki679

We needed a match at home like this today to start our season. We’ve often played so bad first 4/5 games and of course the atmosphere around the club had always been so damn toxic. 

But we put in a fantastic shift, dominated and every player ran their hearts out and played together. The fans were together, we have a few weeks to bring in more quality. If we can start the season on a run, oh man the crowd and the swell of our home and away support with Eddie Howe in charge can really get things buzzing!

1 minute ago, Kanji said:

We needed a match at home like this today to start our season. We’ve often played so bad first 4/5 games and of course the atmosphere around the club had always been so damn toxic. 

But we put in a fantastic shift, dominated and every player ran their hearts out and played together. The fans were together, we have a few weeks to bring in more quality. If we can start the season on a run, oh man the crowd and the swell of our home and away support with Eddie Howe in charge can really get things buzzing!

The sky is the limit if we gather pace and quickly like. 

Edited by Heron

59 minutes ago, SUPERTOON said:

The forest forum match thread makes brilliant reading, they are very complimentary of us in fairness 

https://www.forestforum.co.uk/index.php?threads/official-premier-league-matchday-thread-1-newcastle-vs-forest-6-8-22-1500h.50574/post-3607567]

Yes it's more than a valuable football lesson, it's a measure of the incessant workrate that Newcastle haven't really let Forest breath. The intensity of the top teams to play for 90mins is unachievable for Forest at the moment.

Newcastle looking excellent and will challenge top 4.

This might be a bit OTT, but the feeling on that thread is that their club is going to be in damage limitation for the first half of the season until they can gel.

Makes what Howe's doing, under arguably a lot more pressure, and the decisions he's making with regards to introducing players slowly all the more admirable.

https://www.forestforum.co.uk/index.php?threads/official-premier-league-matchday-thread-1-newcastle-vs-forest-6-8-22-1500h.50574/post-3607567

Newcastle were much better than i thought they'd be, they look like a really good team. We look like what we are, a team put together recently still getting to know each other. Both goals were disappointing to concede. Should have closed the the first one down quicker and the second came from a mistake. Both were great finishes though.

If we lost 2-0 to Newcastle midway through the season i don't think it would be a reason to panic. Still a few more transfers to come in and a long way to go. We need to stay positive while they get to grips with everything

But then a lot of their fans are still thinking more signings will help alleviate their issues.. anyway! And they reckon Colback was their best player too today which echoes a lot of us on here too.

1 hour ago, SUPERTOON said:

The forest forum match thread makes brilliant reading, they are very complimentary of us in fairness 

They seem like a great bunch, didn't see a bad word said about us post game (or even our owners). Really hope they can survive and establish themselves as a PL team.

Still can't get over that performance, it was utter domination from start to finish, some lovely one touch moves, and clinical attacking play. Running out of words to describe Howe at this point.

Pope -7- Commanding when he needed to be, collected crosses with authority, and distributed the ball quickly.

Trippier -7- Linked up really well with both Almiron and Bruno, defensively solid, a few sloppy passes but generally tidy, and as always a leader on the pitch.

Burn -8- Immense, his positioning was top class, didn't allow them a sniff, really great on the ball to. Wish he could head the ball when in the opposition's box :lol:

Schar -9- Beautiful sexy bastard, that strike was as class as his jawline. He and Burn have such a great relationship.

Targett -7- Standard Matt Targett 7/10 solid display, never disappoints.

Joelinton -7- Midfield destroyer carried on from last season, bossed the midfield, but should have scored in the first half.

Bruno -9- Some of his passes I honestly didn't see from a bird's eye view, fuck knows how he's sees them, his centre of gravity is immense, how is he playing for our club.

Willock -7- Played well, can't overly remember much he did, but he was getting around alot like a terrier.

Almiron -8- So much improved over the last few years, he's desicive, making very clever runs, getting into good position and on another would have got an assist. Wish he could use his right foot.

ASM -8- It was very noticeable how more willing he was to pass to a team mate, clearly something he's been working on with Howe, and with his speed and dribbling ability terrorised them, he could be scary if he carries this on.

Wilson -7- Actually though he was our poorest player today, he seemed a bit off the pace, but good striker always find a way to score even when they play poorly.

Didn’t think Trippier was that good with the ball, a few times he gave it away but it’s everything he brings that’s makes him so good.

Willock, Joelinton, Burn, Schar, Bruno & Targett were outstanding. 

Thought they’d be a lot better tactically given how much the gargoyle is rated and how well he’s done in his career to date. Seemed like they were happy to chance keep getting battered and that we’d not score rather than doing anything to proactive about it. They were absolutely wide open in midfield in the first 60 odd mins of the game. Dunno whether they’ve bought one but they really looked like they missed a proper DM who could break the game up.

I watched it at home with a Forest supporting friend and what an enjoyable experience it was too.

I was really impressed with the team's off the ball work.  Forest hardly ever put 4 passes together and that was to do with our organised pressing, if we didn't win the first ball we won the second or pressured a mistake.

I really liked the runs Almiron was making and the balls Bruno was playing at times were the sex! I thought Wilson was quite anonymous but his finish was so classy and instinctive.

4 minutes ago, Disco said:

Thought they’d be a lot better tactically given how much the gargoyle is rated and how well he’s done in his career to date. Seemed like they were happy to chance keep getting battered and that we’d not score rather than doing anything to proactive about it. They were absolutely wide open in midfield in the first 60 odd mins of the game. Dunno whether they’ve bought one but they really looked like they missed a proper DM who could break the game up.

The thing that surprised me was how easy it was to pass through the lines. Time and again we'd have the ball round the back, 3/4 of their players would somewhat press, but not really commited just jog up the pitch, which would allow either Schar or Burn to play it into Bruno in acres of space, who is the last player you want to have time on the ball.

And then when we where around there box, they'd just stand off, and not even attempt a tackle. There game plan was just really odd, it was like they didn't know what hit them and has absolutely nothing in the bank to deal with it.

More from Forest forum:

"Newcastle are a mid table team and it was like a training match for them. We need to learn from this, I think the intensity surprised us, but we will adapt over the games but the first month will be rough.

We really miss Davis and his hold up ability, that would have relieved some pressure and allowed us to get up the pitch. We were pinned back in our half all game.

Johnson needs to realise he cannot play like a luxury player just waiting for people to put him in the right positions in this division, he needs to work to make things happen himself or the team will suffer.

=====================================================================================================================================

Disagree I think Newcastle will be pushing for the European spots. Today was one of the top 6 trickiest away games we’re likely to face. Our home form will ultimately define our season.

Forest fans forgetting that newly

Promoted teams pick up most of their points in the first 5 or so games whilst still

pumped with success. They look and play like a bottom 3 club. 

More and this seems fair comment to me.

"Newcastle looked really solid, if Almiron had a right foot he'd be top draw. Guimaraes was on another level to anyone on the pitch. Touch toothless up front but you could see them top 6ish with a top striker and a better right sided midfielder.

Nothing to panic about with us, team is going to take a while to gel and that while comfortable for them there is some promise. I'm not sure we can afford two strikers for some of our tougher away fixtures. Too many long balls too."

What a day that was, we definitely deserved the win and put the more overly optimistic Forest fans in their place (the harsh realities of the step up from the Championship to the Premier League).

Our intensity and pressing on and off the ball was spot on and our ability to win the second ball was top class (Willock in particular). Forest weren't anything special at all, they didn't trouble us really. 

Still buzzing from the result and the overall day!

Who's that team we call UNITED, who's that team we all adore, oh we play in black and white and we know how to fight, we'll support you evermore!

Yeah, I saw they had 7 debutants today? That lack of synergy combined with trying to play out from the back was rough for them. I'm sure they'll be a different beast at home when they have time to gel.

Edited by ElDiablo

40 minutes ago, RS said:

Forest fans forgetting that newly

Promoted teams pick up most of their points in the first 5 or so games whilst still

pumped with success. They look and play like a bottom 3 club. 

They looked like a team that has basically signed a whole new squad and were off the pace. To be fair we did the same to Arsenal. We will be dangerous at home this season..