57 members have voted

1. 1. Where will we finish?

• 1st
    • 2nd
    • 3rd
    • 4th

This poll is closed to new votes

4 hours ago, STM said:

I think you have to take into account the first half battering they had for about 20 minutes. Miggy hit post, Botman twice, Longstaff header, Isak chance. This is where they get their metrics from.

Even in the second half Willock could have had a couple.

Joelinton from a tight angle too, we weren’t too unlucky I don’t think (outside of the robbery) but on another day we definitely could have scored a couple.

• 2 weeks later...

We need at home 10 more wins & no more draws (lol) (30 points to go)

We need away from home 7 more wins & 1 more draw (22 points to go)

West Ham (H) changes from 1 point required to a win to bring us back on track.

2 points off the pace.

Nottingham Forest (H)- 3 points required - 3 points won (On track for 60 points)

Brighton (A) - 0 points required - 1 point won (On track for 61 points)

Manchester City (H) - 0 points required - 1 point won (On track for 62 points)

Wolves (A) - 0 points required - 1 point won (On track for 62 points)

Liverpool (A) - 0 points required - 0 points won (On track for 62 points)

Crystal Palace (H) - 3 points required - 1 point won (On track for 60 points)

Bournemouth (H) - 3 points required - 1 point won (On track for 58 points)

Fulham (A) - 3 points required

Brentford (H) - 3 points required

Manchester United (A) - 0 points required

Everton (H) - 3 points required

Spurs (A) - 0 points required

Aston Villa (H) - 3 points required

Southampton (A) - 3 points required

Chelsea (H) - 0 points required

Leicester (A) - 0 points required

Leeds (H) - 3 points required

Arsenal (A) - 0 points required

Fulham (H) - 3 points required

Crystal Palace (A) - 0 points required (originally 1 point required)

West Ham (H) - 3 points required (originally 1 point)

Bournemouth (A) - 3 points required

Liverpool (H) - 0 points required

Brighton (H) - 3 points required

Man City (A) - 0 points required

Wolves (H) - 3 points required

Nottingham Forest (A) - 3 points required

Manchester United (H) - 0 points required (originally 1 point required)

Brentford (A) - 1 point required

Aston Villa (A) - 3 points required

Spurs (H) - 0 points required

Everton (A) - 3 points required

Southampton (H) - 3 points required

Arsenal (H) - 0 points required

Leeds (A) - 3 points required

Leicester (H) - 3 points required (was 1 point)

Chelsea (A) - 0 points required

West Ham (A) - 0 points required

Said it in the match thread, but all summer we were worrying about where the goals would come from, and that we desperately needed a quality RW and a striker. We got one, but with Almiron, Fraser and Willock still starting games when we have our first choice attack missing, we can see exactly why we were worried. That crazy run of form we hit in the second half of last season was always going to be hard to replicate, 7th looks pretty optimisitic now.

2 minutes ago, TRon said:

Said it in the match thread, but all summer we were worrying about where the goals would come from, and that we desperately needed a quality RW and a striker. We got one, but with Almiron, Fraser and Willock still starting games when we have our first choice attack missing, we can see exactly why we were worried. That crazy run of form we hit in the second half of last season was always going to be hard to replicate, 7th looks pretty optimisitic now.

Yep, there was a general consensus that we were severely lacking quality wingers, and probably a creative midfielder.  It’s hard to see Almiron, Fraser or Murphy as being PL level.  If there is money to spend in Jan, a new winger has to be the focus you’d think. 

11 minutes ago, TheBrownBottle said:

Yep, there was a general consensus that we were severely lacking quality wingers, and probably a creative midfielder.  It’s hard to see Almiron, Fraser or Murphy as being PL level.  If there is money to spend in Jan, a new winger has to be the focus you’d think. 

Sobering to think that we have spent £200m plus in two windows, but we still have to rely on basically the same attack as our relegation fighters from last season, bar Isak. Just shows how bad our squad was.

3 minutes ago, TRon said:

Sobering to think that we have spent £200m plus in two windows, but we still have to rely on basically the same attack as our relegation fighters from last season, bar Isak. Just shows how bad our squad was.

The ‘Ashley hangover’ will take another couple of windows at least to fix 

3 minutes ago, TheBrownBottle said:

The ‘Ashley hangover’ will take another couple of windows at least to fix 

I think we'll get 1-2 forwards in January. This time we'll have the advantage that we should be starting the second half of the season mid-table rather than 19th. Long as we stay within about 6 points of 7th by the end of January we'll be well equipped for a challenge.

Just now, Optimistic Nut said:

I think we'll get 1-2 forwards in January. This time we'll have the advantage that we should be starting the second half of the season mid-table rather than 19th. Long as we stay within about 6 points of 7th by the end of January we'll be well equipped for a challenge.

Yeah, let’s hope so.  At least one PL class winger would be a good window for me, tbh - before real improvements next summer.  

43 minutes ago, TRon said:

We’ve took the piss out of Everton for spending 500m and yes their recruitment has been suspect but it shows how difficult it is.

Will need to see how Brighton perform under their new coach but losing Potter and all their staff could have a big impact on their push for top 7. Expect them to drop off a bit. 

West Ham will have European games midweek for a while, and whilst they have a bigger squad this year all the travel and less time to prepare for games doesn't make it easy. 

There's no standout favourite for 7th so far IMO. We just need to be in the mix come January. 

Posted this in the other thread but despite the injuries we’ve sustained to Shelvey, Maxi, Wilson and Bruno - VAR and extra time fucking us off points where we should be between 4th and 7th. We’ll get it right. 

29 minutes ago, Novocastrian said:

We’ve took the piss out of Everton for spending 500m and yes their recruitment has been suspect but it shows how difficult it is.

Yeah, everyone talks about £200m like it's a king's ransom, but when it's spread over  players it's not really that much. 7 or 8 players it's not really that much. £25m of it went on Wood in a desperate gamble to stay up.

Still satisfied with 9th, both picking it and as a finishing position.

More so now I really feel we're having teething problems in the transition to controlling games versus sitting back and countering.

Was too simplistic to simply carry on last seasons form without a few more signings (injuries were always going to happen) even though the margins have gone against us (with the worst will in the world, we've warranted more points than this)

On 08/08/2022 at 05:09, GWN said:

Good thread .

I’ve gone a cautious 9th as we are , I’d be happy with tbh because like a few have said we are 2 players short imho. However if EH can get a tune out of some I thought were beyond hope so I’m hoping he can find an inspiration in Almiron and Joelinton both to score more goals , if he can I’d say we can climb a bit higher . If those two could finish we would have a great team .

Keeping Wilson fit is key if those two don’t score enough again and for that I’m sticking with a solid 9th , just great to never mention the R word .

sticking with this .

The World Cup break is gonna help us because if we were playing from October to January we’d probably be without Wilson and ASM again at some stage. We’re relying massively for at least ASM to stay fit for the run in between now and January so we can turn these draws into wins. RW has to be number one priority and should be getting worked on now to be done early in January. 

Edited by Decky

I still think we'll be in the mix for best of the rest. If we continue to perform as we have pre-Bournemouth, the wins will come. 

Other teams that were being talked about for 7th such as West Ham, Wolves and Leicester have all had slow starts too, while Brighton have lost their manager and Villa look woeful.