Still not worthy of a thread

Yorkie

It's a massive blind spot like. To be a Football League club you have to be full-time professional. It clearly should be the case that referees are full time too. The problem is that there isn't a market for referees in the same way that there is footballers and clubs, so it essentially means the FA/EFL would need to subsidize and match the wages the refs can get in their other profession.

That seems an absolutely necessary evil to me. There's far too much at stake in the Football League to continue having professional high level sports matches decided by literal amateurs.

It's a massive blind spot like. To be a Football League club you have to be full-time professional. It clearly should be the case that referees are full time too. The problem is that there isn't a market for referees in the same way that there is footballers and clubs, so it essentially means the FA/EFL would need to subsidize and match the wages the refs can get in their other profession.

That seems an absolutely necessary evil to me. There's far too much at stake in the Football League to continue having professional high level sports matches decided by literal amateurs.

Pretty much all referees in the EFL are either full time or part time professionals now.

Guest chopey

I know an EFL ref and he works part time and Refs part time, if he gets promoted to the Premiership he has to go pro.

Surely the bigger blind spot is the fact that such low levels of pay makes them susceptible to match fixing? £380 per match? "Look 'ere mate, I'll give you ten times that if you help me out with this spot bet I've got lined up"...

See Bastia fans got their match Vs Lyon abandoned.  Seems to be an issue in France with crowd trouble.

has been for a long time, i'd say in europe this is the order of shame domestically at the moment

Russia /Ukraine 

France

England/Britain

Holland

Germany

Turkey

The Chronicle report on celebrity fans makes interesting reading with the following snippet about Sting....

'The Wallsend-born star has made no secret of his love for Newcastle United and even penned “Black and White Army (Bringing The Pride Back Home)” for the FA Cup final in 1008'

Who would have thought that we were formed before the Battle of Hastings, made the cup final and Sting was that old

Surely the bigger blind spot is the fact that such low levels of pay makes them susceptible to match fixing? £380 per match? "Look 'ere mate, I'll give you ten times that if you help me out with this spot bet I've got lined up"...

Or even, "I'll give you 100 times that if you make a few dodgy decisions, highlighting the need for video technology. Which I just happen to own the patent to."