Still not worthy of a thread

Yorkie

We could make a canny 5 a side team from our former managers based on their peaks as players (without a GK obviously)

Gullit, Dalglish, Keegan, Ardilles, J Charlton.

Wonder how many other teams have had such good players as managers. Barcelona and Ajax probably being the obvious ones

I'm too young to really know, is this a bit harsh on Tino to say it stained his reputation?

Harshly remembered: Faustino Asprilla

Talking of Newcastle and mid-season signings, none have been more criticised over the years than the decision to bring in Faustino Asprilla in 1996.

Newcastle's era-defining implosion in the title race has stained the Colombian's reputation ever since, but on raw numbers it's hard to argue that Asprilla didn't contribute.

His final total of seven assists (in 14 games) is the most contributed by a Premier League winter arrival and was only two fewer than Ryan Giggs managed all season

https://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/football/47042361

Guest firetotheworks
:thup: I even remember at the time thinking Darren Peacock was rubbish. I couldn't have been more wrong, he was class.

From an Ian White interview.

He also touched on his previous run-in with United fans over his defence of Alan Pardew – and revealed that the ex-United manager had actually fallen out with him about it.

“Newcastle fans will know there were times when it was terrible what was going on with him and he was a Mike Ashley man if we’re going to go deep into it but the fact is he is someone I’ve known since 1983/84 and “I’m not saying I’m backing him and some of the poor displays at Newcastle because he’s a friend but if you’re in the media and you’ve got someone like that you can’t hammer him. You can’t put him away.

“Alan Pardew himself has been upset with me. We had to have a conversation when he was due to do the Debate Show because he didn’t want to do it with me because he thought that some of the things I’d said about him in the past he didn’t like because we’re mates. This is where the Newcastle fans need to understand I’ll be balanced.”

Even more likeable now.  :smitten: