Still not worthy of a thread

Yorkie

24 minutes ago, Yorkie said:

Was not aware of that allegiance. Am I just imagining that he really is one of the better ones or am I all of a sudden bias towards him? 

Genuinely regarded as a top ref and gets a lot of the high profile games, I think? 

Always said I have rated him. But probably a big part of that. Is down to the fact he supports NUFC, never refs us and so I don’t have any grudge against him for fuck ups he has made. 

28 minutes ago, Yorkie said:

Was not aware of that allegiance. Am I just imagining that he really is one of the better ones or am I all of a sudden bias towards him? 

He's from Ashington. I've always had a bit of an irrational (although slightly justifiable) dislike of him, unfortunately. Objectively he looks to be a pretty good referee though whenever I've seen him on TV and he's done a load of high profile international games. 

Spoiler

He's a couple of years younger than me and went to St Benet Biscop's High school for the catholics, whereas I went to Hirst High school for the heathens. He broadly lived in the same estate as me in Fallowfield and whenever I'd get the bus back home from school, him and his dickhead mates would often given me a bit of a hard time whenever they got on next to the old police station. Nothing overly harsh or extreme, I have to say, but it was a bit intimidating and I could have certainly done without it and it did inspire me to walk home more often! Admittedly, he was amongst the least bad of the bunch and I'm sure he's long since grown out of such behaviour (he's a referee, after all...) but I never forget. Maybe I unfairly judged him based on who he associated with. 

Anyway, it is good that he's approachable and seems like he's a decent enough guy. 

Watching England v Scotland 1972.

Bob Moncur is playing. He was quite a handsome bastard back in the day, Bobby Moore looks silky as fuck.

Overall play is pretty terrible though, Bremner looks decent and Gemill too, but nowt special. Already want to punch Bremner. They  just seem to hoof the ball forward with no real care. Like the defenders just say to the strikers “look I put the ball in your third even though it’s 30 yards away it’s your responsibility to keep it up there and score”.

Gordon Banks looks worse than Darlow. The fouls are amazing. They literally just kick each other knee height and push each other, and the ref just goes “oh come on now that”ll be enough of that now”. And they go “aye, ok” and the do it again two minutes later and the ref goes ”oh come in now that”ll be enough of that now” without even thinking about giving out a card.

Crowd of 134,000 is canny though.

Edited by Rafalove

God I fucking hated Cantona, but he was so fucking good like. Couldn't help but love what he did there. Can you imagine how much you'd love a player like him playing for your team?

I remember Vinnie Jones almost decapitating Rob Lee in '94ish, getting a red, and John Motson saying it was "incredibly harsh" :lol:

11 hours ago, Rafalove said:

Watching England v Scotland 1972.

Bob Moncur is playing. He was quite a handsome bastard back in the day, Bobby Moore looks silky as fuck.

Overall play is pretty terrible though, Bremner looks decent and Gemill too, but nowt special. Already want to punch Bremner. They  just seem to hoof the ball forward with no real care. Like the defenders just say to the strikers “look I put the ball in your third even though it’s 30 yards away it’s your responsibility to keep it up there and score”.

Gordon Banks looks worse than Darlow. The fouls are amazing. They literally just kick each other knee height and push each other, and the ref just goes “oh come on now that”ll be enough of that now”. And they go “aye, ok” and the do it again two minutes later and the ref goes ”oh come in now that”ll be enough of that now” without even thinking about giving out a card.

Crowd of 134,000 is canny though.

Aye that game came up on my YouTube recommendations a couple of weeks back. 

A good old fashioned kicking match, as many of the England Scotland games were back then.

Bobby Moore was as good as I remembered and Moncur wasn't far behind, cool on the ball. I've always had a soft spot for Bob, he was our captain when I first went to the match. Obviously his legacy has been tainted recently, with his defence of Ashley, mind.

Biggest surprise for me was seeing John Brownie at fullback for Scotland. I can't remember thinking much of him when he played for us a few years later, surprised he was capped to be honest, Scotland had some decent players in those days.

3 minutes ago, Village Idiot said:

Reports that we turned down a sponsorship offer from PIF.

We could've been like brothers!

You’re already a brother Mr Village I