Still not worthy of a thread

Yorkie

1 minute ago, Yorkie said:

Club football would still be shit whilst international football would be worsened.

Absolute crock of shit from Infantino. 

Would it be worsened? Loads of things are on more often than every 4 years and aren't worse. The Olympics would be worse but that's just because nee fucker cares about the vast majority of those sports.

At least there's some kind of competitive balance in international football and it isn't just which Arab state or other shadowy figure is better at running a football club

I fail to see how the World Cup would be improved or, at worst, unchanged (in terms of the majesty of its spectacle) by having it on twice as often. The sport is already utterly saturated.

I agree entirely that international football is far purer than the elite club game but again I feel that's aided by the infrequency of the tournaments. If the international game became as exploited as the club one (doubling the frequency would be an example of that), then the countries would just become like clubs. It would all go the same way, as the same forces and motivations are driving the two systems. 

It wouldn't matter how good it is or how much I'd enjoy it, the WC being every 2 years would immediately degrade what it means to win it or take part in it for me. A huge part of the win/lose element of the whole thing is having to wait another 4 years for the next one and I like that about it. We're almost at saturation point with football anyway and as we've seen with the pandemic, there's almost no room to maneouvre as it is.

It seems like this is the next step they're choosing in the whole insane economic model of needing infinite growth. If they get away with this step being successful, it's just a step nearer to them taking the next one or the one after too far and the whole thing collapsing imo, just like we saw with the ESL. 

Edited by kisearch

Last thing this sport needs is more games. I would like it to be more creative like invite the Scottish league into the league cup and rebrand. Revert the ECL to champions only and winners of the domestic cup. Have 2-6 in a 2 Leg Europa KO Cup also. Scrap all International friendlies and League Of Nations. Then devise a tournament so I can watch NUFC away to Boca Juniors 🙂

It's also just treating the elite players like battery hens. They will play full league seasons a world cup every 2 years with a Euros/Acon/Copa in the intervening one. There's a limit on how much the can and should play. 

Always thought Alexi Sanchez's drop off in his form was because he played like 3/4 seasons without a break. He's only just recovered from that. This would be like that but for like every single top level player. I know footballers are well paid but this is essentially exploitation of your labour force to make a bit extra dollar for the suits at the top.

Edited by GeordieDazzler

2 hours ago, Foluwashola said:

Unaware of any football fan asking for this. As always the focus is on ways to make more money as opposed to genuinely improving the sport. Horrific. 

Youd like to think with the amount of players, managers and staff generally complaining about the amount of games they're forced to play that they'd combine their voices and speak up about it a bit more. Like you said as well no fans here are asking for this. So it'd surely be easy enough to combine player and club voices with fan voices. 

The only people asking for it are the people around the globe who dont interact with football as much as we do. Without the national games really I'd imagine. That's the market for it. More eyes to see ads on TV. 

When are they supposed to actually qualify for these tournaments? Or will they just allow the top 20 selected nations automatic entry and have the minnows do the qualifying to make up the numbers? 

It's a shit idea and driven purely by greed, hope the players themselves object and refuse to play

5 hours ago, LFEE said:

Last thing this sport needs is more games. I would like it to be more creative like invite the Scottish league into the league cup and rebrand. Revert the ECL to champions only and winners of the domestic cup. Have 2-6 in a 2 Leg Europa KO Cup also. Scrap all International friendlies and League Of Nations. Then devise a tournament so I can watch NUFC away to Boca Juniors 🙂

For the league cup I'd like to see teams that are in Europe not play in it. Think that would suit everybody because they don't want to and everybody else would fancy their chances then. Not feeling like there's any chance of winning it until the CL teams are out takes the edge off it for me.

Internationally let the smaller nations play each and have the winners qualify to be cannon-fodder in the qualifiers instead of having multiple joke matches in every group that cost leagues blank weeks. Currently watching a compilation of Euro96 qualifiers and its just so much better than now.

Basically the way it was, was perfectly fine and the reason why football became so big and popular.

But you know the only thing that will get cut is the leagues.

Edited by Wolfcastle

5 hours ago, LFEE said:

A British/Irish cup would actually be canny like. The League Cup has always felt a bit pointless.

2 hours ago, GeordieDazzler said:

It's also just treating the elite players like battery hens. They will play full league seasons a world cup every 2 years with a Euros/Acon/Copa in the intervening one. There's a limit on how much the can and should play. 

Always thought Alexi Sanchez's drop off in his form was because he played like 3/4 seasons without a break. He's only just recovered from that. This would be like that but for like every single top level player. I know footballers are well paid but this is essentially exploitation of your labour force to make a bit extra dollar for the suits at the top.

This is the crux for me - it means, at worst, international football three out of every four norther summers. Continental Championships become sideshows jammed into the calendar. Players who have played for three years straight are not going to be great at that last World Cup, diminishing the quality and defeating the purpose.

39 minutes ago, Hanshithispantz said:

A British/Irish cup would actually be canny like. The League Cup has always felt a bit pointless.

This would have tremendous novelty value, but I wonder if smaller Welsh, Scottish or Northern Irish clubs could afford it?

You'd think UEFA would be on board with England giving up one of its UEFA cup slots to a UK League Cup

1 hour ago, Wolfcastle said:

Internationally let the smaller nations play each and have the winners qualify to be cannon-fodder in the qualifiers instead of having multiple joke matches in every group that cost leagues blank weeks. Currently watching a compilation of Euro96 qualifiers and its just so much better than now.

It was the same as the current system, no? League of Nations replaced the pointless friendlies and is class, UEFA did great with that.

9 hours ago, Raconteur said:

This would have tremendous novelty value, but I wonder if smaller Welsh, Scottish or Northern Irish clubs could afford it?

You'd think UEFA would be on board with England giving up one of its UEFA cup slots to a UK League Cup

Aye there are probably a lot of issue I haven't thought of tbf :)

I'd absolutely love to see the wider British region competing together in some meaningful way. Have said this before but I think it's quite incredible that you've got this economic beast at the very peak of the global league system, and then two immediately next door who might as well be in South East Asia. Feels like a waste of good geography on the behalfs of Scotland and Wales. I find it a bit of a shame that the success of the PL and FL isn't shared with the neighbours for what could be the betterment of everyone. 

I do remember somebody countering me on this last time I brought it up - with some very fair arguments - but I've forgotten them. :lol:

It was always a bone of contention before the World Cup was expanded in the 90s (I think) that the whole of Africa would be allocated maybe 1 or 2 places but the UK alone was and still is allowed to enter 4 teams that could all qualify. No wonder we're sometimes accused of arrogance but it's a legacy of when we joined FIFA, they were so keen for legitimacy by having British involvement that they gave into our demand of four entries or no entries. Germany at the time weren't keen as they gave examples of having Prussia, Saxony, Bavaria, etc as members but such cold logic was discarded. 

Anyway, anyway, that's done now. 

Having a British Cup would be great, personally. We could remove the UEFA problem by just not awarding a European spot to the winner and instead offer vast sums of cold, hard cash throughout - we've got a lot of that, somewhere, apparently. 

To help the less well off sides, we could regionalise things first so we'd still maintain the respective League Cups in England, Wales, Scotland and Northern Ireland but for the round before the quarter final of each, the winners instead progress into an open draw for the British Cup and continue on that path whereas the losers (non-winners) simply continue on the path of their respective domestic League Cup. Very similar in principle to how bowl/plate competitions work in rugby, if you're familiar with that kind of thing. There'll be no drop downs like in UEFA competitions, so if you get knocked out of the British Cup semi then you don't go back into the Scottish League Cup, for example. Once you're out, you're out. British Cup final at the Millennium Stadium in Cardiff, broadcast live for free on terrestrial television with Ally McCoist commentating.

too-easy-gif-6.gif

In the cases of Wigan and Portsmouth it would be a bit like San Marino being in the WCQs, but if it brings money into those clubs while doing it, I'm all for it - particularly as there's been nothing put in place to replace the Cup Winners Cup.