Still not worthy of a thread

Yorkie

Guest firetotheworks

Does he live in NE how many times has Vickery watched football? What makes him an expert at wots happening? My advice would be for him to do his homework or keep his nose out.

Tim Vickery makes a pretty good argument for how that would actually make things worse.

What's his argument?

Don't know if you know who Vickery is, journalist based in South America, i.e. the home of time-wasting and niggly shithousery.

Basically his view is that all the stuff we call time-wasting in football, most of it isn't designed to actually waste time, that's just an added bonus which the referee ultimately has power over by adding the time on and handing out cards, and that the primary function of players lying down pretending to be injured late on or taking thirty seconds to walk fifteen yards is to kill the game's momentum and relieve pressure.

They make the game stop-start, and he's right, I've seen tons of games (usually when I've got a bet on the attacking team) where a goal looks completely inevitable late on, but then the defending team will get the physio on for the goalkeeper hurting himself catching a cross and the players all stand around for three minutes, and when it starts up again with plenty of time added for the stoppage, the game just fizzles out without them mounting another attack as all that momentum has gone. Stopping the clock just takes away the power of the referee to control piss-taking with cards and added time, and gives the players carte blanche to do it even more.

I like Hoddle's commentary, he's calm and has a lot of insight into why players and managers are doing what they're doing. Sounds simple, but hey. Hope he's OK.

Yep like him as a pundit

Looks like the news this evening is a bit more positive

Leicester owner's helicopter has crashed.  BT Sport Premier League Tonight chatting in the studio at the King Power, filming it taking off, joking about it.  Came back from the break and they're all looking ashen, saying it's crashed in the car park. Cut the show short cos there's a fire and they're being evacuated.  Same day as Glenn Hoddle collapsing in the BT studio.