Still not worthy of a thread

Yorkie

Just as questionable as when Giggs won it, or when Modric got Ballon d'Or.

Giggs was the PFA award though the FWA have form giving the award to Scott Parker when west ham finished bottom

I don’t understand. Scott Parker was supposed to be PFA player of the year but it went to Giggs?

Isn't Henderson a confirmed nonce? Or am I confusing him with someone else?

??? You're thinking of Adam Johnson?

Yuupppp :lol:

Hell of a mix up that :lol:

Easily done what with them both being former Sunderland players.

Isn't Henderson a confirmed nonce? Or am I confusing him with someone else?

??? You're thinking of Adam Johnson?

Yuupppp :lol:

Hell of a mix up that :lol:

Easily done what with them both being former Sunderland players.

Aye it's like you wouldn't tell the difference between Adam Johnson and Lee Cattermole :lol:

Just as questionable as when Giggs won it, or when Modric got Ballon d'Or.

Giggs was the PFA award though the FWA have form giving the award to Scott Parker when west ham finished bottom

I don’t understand. Scott Parker was supposed to be PFA player of the year but it went to Giggs?

Different awards. Parker won Football Writers, Giggs won PFA

16 league goals, players of the year and goal of the season for his club, was Adam Armstrong’s transfer to Blackburn for £1.75m another Rafa transfer mistake?

I don't think so. Fair play to the lad and fair play to his coaches if he ever makes it as an established Premier League striker (something he could still be 2/3 years away from, if ever), but he was never going to be much use in Rafa's squad between 2017-2019. To even become a 16-goal Championship striker, you need to be playing every week at that level; do you potentially damage the lad's development by hanging onto him, sending him on loan to a different club every single year, whilst continuing to pay his wages, on the off-chance he develops into an asset for the club? Or do you make an early judgement on his potential, sell him and wish him the best of luck? The latter seems like the most sensible option for everyone involved in his case, particularly given how far away from PL football he looked. Plus I think you've got to have something really special if you're ever going to become a truly effective PL striker at 5'8.

Mbabu's the only sale I can think of which was perhaps a bit hasty. Mitrovic is the other one you can throw into the mix but his sale was undoubtedly the right call imo. He was never right for Newcastle. Wasn't what we needed when we signed him and wasn't the right type of striker/personality for Benitez; was the best thing for all parties that he left.

16 league goals, players of the year and goal of the season for his club, was Adam Armstrong’s transfer to Blackburn for £1.75m another Rafa transfer mistake?

I don't think so. Fair play to the lad and fair play to his coaches if he ever makes it as an established Premier League striker (something he could still be 2/3 years away from, if ever), but he was never going to be much use in Rafa's squad between 2017-2019. To even become a 16-goal Championship striker, you need to be playing every week at that level; do you potentially damage the lad's development by hanging onto him, sending him on loan to a different club every single year, whilst continuing to pay his wages, on the off-chance he develops into an asset for the club? Or do you make an early judgement on his potential, sell him and wish him the best of luck? The latter seems like the most sensible option for everyone involved in his case, particularly given how far away from PL football he looked. Plus I think you've got to have something really special if you're ever going to become a truly effective PL striker at 5'8.

Mbabu's the only sale I can think of which was perhaps a bit hasty. Mitrovic is the other one you can throw into the mix but his sale was undoubtedly the right call imo. He was never right for Newcastle. Wasn't what we needed when we signed him and wasn't the right type of striker/personality for Benitez; was the best thing for all parties that he left.

I always thought there was something there with him, so no surprise he’s done well this season. For me he should have still been on our books being loaned out to championship clubs until he had a season like this (reckon we’d have got more in loan fees than transfer fee) Then he gets his chance in the squad. I’d have him over any of our current strikers. He’s played a lot coming in from the wings, before heading up top. He’d have had to break in our team the same way as he’s done there, but I think his pace and ability to score goals from anywhere on the pitch would have seen him make the grade for us as a good squad and utility player.

Mbabu was criminal. Think Mitrovic was absolutely us, just not Rafa, and again better than anything we have now.

I don't believe the scarceness of our current options invalidates the decisions to sell the likes of Armstrong and Mitrovic. Selling them was the right call, certainly in the case of the latter - releasing only half his transfer fee was the mistake (i.e. Joselu).

Rondon, on the other hand, was the perfect replacement; similar physical attributes to Mitrovic but with the guile to know how to use those assets and more all round ability. More wit, a better finisher, better tactical brain, better communication with an entirely Hispanic front-three, and other attributes like crossing ability and could hit a free-kick. But of course he was too expensive at £24m less than Joelinton.

Why is there always at least one person asking these questions?! He's had a decent season in the league below us. He hasn't exactly set the league alight, all he's done is outperform a little.

Why is there always at least one person asking these questions?! He's had a decent season in the league below us. He hasn't exactly set the league alight, all he's done is outperform a little.

Stop wetting your knickers, man. Its a simple enough question (or you want to talk about Leeds all day),  don't like it scroll on.  :lol:

Guest Butcher

Agree with Yorkie that Mbabu was the only mistake. Wish Merino had stuck around longer but was out of Rafa's hands

Never played him. No wonder he wanted to leave.

Agree with Yorkie that Mbabu was the only mistake. Wish Merino had stuck around longer but was out of Rafa's hands

Never played him. No wonder he wanted to leave.

Other than the 25 times he did play him, of course. :thup:

That was the period when Diame decided he was a mix of Kante and Riquelme, whilst Shelvey was in good form as well. Merino could have fought harder to get back in the team but didn't seem to fancy it after coming back from that back injury.

Guest Butcher

Started 11 games.

As I said, no wonder he wanted off. Such a shame as he looked a class prospect and he’ll probably have a very good career.

15 according to .com. He was a young player from abroad and third/fourth choice fighting for a key position in the team. He had his chances in the team before getting injured and his performances tailing off, whilst others performed better. He wasn't hard done by or denied opportunities. Could've fought for his place and become a key player but he didn't fancy it at Newcastle.