Still not worthy of a thread

Yorkie

On 30/06/2021 at 01:14, ToonArmy1892 said:

Rooney was very good but not great for me.

183 goals in 393 games for Man Utd, less than a goal every other game in an amazing team.

And less than a goal every other game for England.

Genuinely seen it all now. Rooney not great? Jesus Christ.

I don't want to bore everyone with just how important he was to us, but goals aren't everything (can't believe I'm having to say that even though he's the top scorer of all time for club and country). Rooney was the main reason that team was great, and that includes when Ronaldo was there. Ronaldo could never have flourished at us the way he did without Rooney.

Can't see the argument for Bale over Rooney either. The only thing Bale had over Rooney was pace, and Rooney wasn't slow either.

Aye on the whole he was a bit of a let-down for England - despite the record, particularly when you think we spent every two years fawning over him. He was consistent in qualifiers but only scored one tournament goal after Euro 2004, in a game that we lost and ultimately meant nothing. 

Rooney lost something when he went to manure.

He mightve become a better team player and perhaps even a better overall footballer but he lost that youthfull confidence he had.

Definately a 'great' though

Think he just reached his athletic peak early and had to adapt his game as he got older.

Can’t imagine he would have become the great player he was if it weren’t for Sir Alex IMO.

Edited by McCormick

2 hours ago, Froggy said:

Genuinely seen it all now. Rooney not great? Jesus Christ.

I don't want to bore everyone with just how important he was to us, but goals aren't everything (can't believe I'm having to say that even though he's the top scorer of all time for club and country). Rooney was the main reason that team was great, and that includes when Ronaldo was there. Ronaldo could never have flourished at us the way he did without Rooney.

Can't see the argument for Bale over Rooney either. The only thing Bale had over Rooney was pace, and Rooney wasn't slow either.

Yea not great, started out like a house on fire and looked nailed on to be great, but was never quite the same later in his career, although still very good.

Is that one of the problems of Barcelona's ownership model? There is no long term thinking just spend spend spend so you can get voted back in, the fans are as much to blame I suppose as anyone.

Guest HTT II
7 hours ago, joeyt said:

One thing I’d never level at Big Sam is him being xenophobic or racist, he’s been vocal in the past about never getting big jobs for example because he wasn’t Spanish or Brazilian.