Still not worthy of a thread

Yorkie

Barcelona player Neymar and his club will stand trial on corruption charges over his transfer from Brazilian team Santos, after losing a final appeal.

[...]

They cannot appeal against the court's decision.

Prosecutors are seeking a two-year prison sentence and a fine of nearly £8m for Neymar.

However, even if the Brazil international were found guilty he would be unlikely to go to jail. Under the Spanish legal system, prison terms of under two years are typically suspended.

[...]

Neymar's Barcelona team-mate Lionel Messi was sentenced to 21 months in prison for tax fraud in July of last year.

There’s no racism in Russia, because it doesn’t exist. It is something against the opposition, not against a person.

Racism in Russia is like fashion. It comes from abroad, from different countries. It was never, ever here before. Ten years ago, some fans may have given a banana to black guys – it was just for fun. I think the media is making the wrong image of Russia.

*sigh*

There’s no racism in Russia, because it doesn’t exist. It is something against the opposition, not against a person.

Racism in Russia is like fashion. It comes from abroad, from different countries. It was never, ever here before. Ten years ago, some fans may have given a banana to black guys – it was just for fun. I think the media is making the wrong image of Russia.

*sigh*

didn't you get the memo, FIFA already solved racism and it no longer happens anywhere

https://www.theguardian.com/football/2016/sep/25/fifa-anti-racism-task-force-russia-2018-world-cup

Don't know what the consensus on this Sutton keeper is, but from what I know he should definitely be disciplined, it's sad stuff for football when The Sun's betting company are pulling stunts during the match on the bench , but probably some leniency could be shown given his situation. If a rich PL player did that I definitely want them to come down hard.

*sigh*

Foreigners! COMIN OVER ERE, bringing their racism.

Participants covered by the ban will be prohibited from betting, either directly or indirectly, on any football match or competition that takes place anywhere in the world.

The changes to FA Rules from the start of the 2014/15 season will also effect a worldwide ban on betting on any other football-related matter. For example, the transfer of players, employment of managers or team selection. The passing of inside information to somebody that uses the information for betting remains prohibited.   

Does eating a pie really count as a "football-related matter"? 

Participants covered by the ban will be prohibited from betting, either directly or indirectly, on any football match or competition that takes place anywhere in the world.

The changes to FA Rules from the start of the 2014/15 season will also effect a worldwide ban on betting on any other football-related matter. For example, the transfer of players, employment of managers or team selection. The passing of inside information to somebody that uses the information for betting remains prohibited.   

Also there is no evidence that he made a bet either.

No but he did admit he knew some friends had bet on him doing it (if you believe what's been reported). That would then make it illegal I think (well some sort of offence to do with betting anyhoo).

No but he did admit he knew some friends had bet on him doing it (if you believe what's been reported). That would then make it illegal I think (well some sort of offence to do with betting anyhoo).

But if he knows of the market's existence, then him eating or not eating the pie is deciding the result of the bet one way or the other.

It's a bit of a dangerous precedent for these novelty bets (which the gambling companies have been warned about offering because of how easily compromised they are) to be regulated in the same way as a bet on the match is.

It's not actually illegal is it?  All the "gambling offences" you see tend to be professional sport bodies trying to prevent match fixing rather than criminal trials..

But if he knows of the market's existence, then him eating or not eating the pie is deciding the result of the bet one way or the other.

It's a bit of a dangerous precedent for these novelty bets (which the gambling companies have been warned about offering because of how easily compromised they are) to be regulated in the same way as a bet on the match is.

Which is the correct answer. If he eats it or doesn't eat it he's influencing the result, he's in a situation where he can not win.

Further more wasn't the bet actually that he ate something and not limited to a pie? I'm sure I have seen players eat sweets on the touch line before, what happens if he was eating a protein bar, where does the bet stand if he was chewing chewing gum?