Newcastle United vs. Manchester City - 21/8/22 @ 4:30pm (Sky Sports)

HaydnNUFC

3 minutes ago, Rafalove said:

Thoughts?

Not sure about Dropping Willock but I agree about Joelinton. Rich pointed it out a little while back and it seems like an obvious exploit given City don't really play with any wingbacks.

Edited by Hanshithispantz

13 minutes ago, Rafalove said:

Thoughts?

I reckon we just let Howe get on with doing exactly what he’s been doing with Joelinton.  Seems to have worked so far.  I’m unconvinced the Twitter expert’s view that this is the ‘only way to get a result’ holds water.  I’ll reckon the side and tactics Eddie selects are more liable to get a result. 

4 minutes ago, Hanshithispantz said:

He isn't saying Joelinton should be played up top FWIW, just that during build-up play he'll push forwards to exploit the space left by Walker and Cancelo pushing into midfield.

Aye....my response was mainly because I wouldn't drop Willock, although I'd probably still be a bit unsure about pulling Joelinton from his 'usual' role. 

While a betting person would back Man City to win, there’s always a chance of a positive result for us.  City won three-quarters of their league games last year, which is undeniably impressive - but of course that does mean even a side as superb as theirs drops points 1 in every 4 games.  Maybe we’ll be that 1 in 4.  HWTL

16 minutes ago, TheBrownBottle said:

While a betting person would back Man City to win, there’s always a chance of a positive result for us.  City won three-quarters of their league games last year, which is undeniably impressive - but of course that does mean even a side as superb as theirs drops points 1 in every 4 games.  Maybe we’ll be that 1 in 4.  HWTL

Yep, last season in the league they drew home and away to Southampton, away to Palace, away to West Ham, home and away to Liverpool.

Lost to Spurs home and away, lost to Palace at home. We’ll gloss over the rest. But if Palace and Southampton can do it… who knows! 

27 minutes ago, TheBrownBottle said:

It's either us or Palace. And we've got the home advantage.

9 minutes ago, Coffee_Johnny said:

lost to Palace at home.

Ah, shit.

Edited by Happinesstan

I just hope we give it a go and press them, I know it’s risky as they can play through a press and tear you to shreds, I just think if we get at their defence a bit and the crowd up for it, we could surprise them. They’re a class above everyone though so as long as we give it a good go, no disgrace losing to them. 

1 minute ago, Chicane said:

Why so pessimistic? We'll win :cool:

Can I have some of what your having, we’re going to get absolutely smashed. We all know what happens when a new top striker plays against us(halland hat trick incoming)

The worst thing about games vs Man City these days is all the way up to their first goal there is an evil little bastard at the back of my mind telling me we’ll nick something.

The difference this season is that we can brush any of these reverses off, as there is a positive vibe around the club again.  Hope is a good thing, even when it tricks your brain into thinking ‘today’s the day’ :) 

2 minutes ago, nufcnick said:

Can I have some of what your having, we’re going to get absolutely smashed. We all know what happens when a new top striker plays against us(halland hat trick incoming)

That’s the spirit! 

Just now, TheBrownBottle said:

The worst thing about games vs Man City these days is all the way up to their first goal there is an evil little bastard at the back of my mind telling me we’ll nick something.

The difference this season is that we can brush any of these reverses off, as there is a positive vibe around the club again.  Hope is a good thing, even when it tricks your brain into thinking ‘today’s the day’ :) 

Part of the joy of being a competitive team again. Less mental gymnastics required to think today might just be the day! 

4 minutes ago, nufcnick said:

Steve Bruce’s prematch comments upset the support again :) 

It doesn’t matter who we play, a win will lead to a week of positivity and general mentally well balanced folk posting, a loss and everything will turn to shit, the transfer market will seem worse than it is, we’ll start singling out adequate players for not being up to it and petty squabbles will boil over, etc.

Every. Single. Time ☺️

This is a big test of where we are at, and where we could finish this year. Focus on the team discipline and defensive unit, rather than the final result. The Brighton game would have been 3-0 in previous years, but we have clearly come a long way under Howe. We might well surprise a few today. :cool: