Newcastle United vs. Manchester City - 21/8/22 @ 4:30pm (Sky Sports)

HaydnNUFC

5 hours ago, The Prophet said:

I fancy a low scoring defeat here. Under Howe at home we've restricted the opposition to one goal or less on 13 occasions and I expect plenty of effort and application.

Obviously if City turn it on, they  could rip us a new one, but I fancy us to keep it respectable at the back. I wouldn't be entirely suprised to see us line up with a back five.

The problem is that I just don't think we're good enough to hurt them. Similar to Liverpool last season we'll be looking at set pieces and the odd counter attack to score. Realistically we may have to score a couple to take a point from the game, but I just can't see it, 0-2 City.

Aye we need them to have a bad day, but even on a bad day they can punish you with their eyes closed. I'm not sure there's much more to drain from this set of players than what we saw at out best last season [Arsenal?] but if we can get a similar performance we stand a chance. I think pope increases our chances of a clean sheet slightly. And Botman could, but will Burn instead of Targett negate that?  think that will affect our attacking more tbh.

Not confident of a win, but never more confident that we can compete, at least.

43 minutes ago, Happinesstan said:

Aye we need them to have a bad day, but even on a bad day they can punish you with their eyes closed. I'm not sure there's much more to drain from this set of players than what we saw at out best last season [Arsenal?] but if we can get a similar performance we stand a chance. I think pope increases our chances of a clean sheet slightly. And Botman could, but will Burn instead of Targett negate that?  think that will affect our attacking more tbh.

Not confident of a win, but never more confident that we can compete, at least.

Targett only had a dead leg, he should be fit.

Well, last season in the league they drew home and away to Southampton, away to Palace, away to West Ham, home and away to Liverpool.

Lost to Spurs home and away, lost to Palace at home. We’ll gloss over the rest. But if we can channel/learn from the unpredicted Palace and Southampton who knows! 

Guest HTT II

What excites me is I know our manager will be going into this game and looking for 3 points, it likely won’t happen, but what a world away from Bruce-ball.

46 minutes ago, timeEd32 said:

If we go 5 at the back and Targett isn’t available will it be Dummett?

Would prefer switching Trippier and bringing in Krafth. Better to have two 6 out of 10s in each position than an 8 and a 4.

Edited by Optimistic Nut