João Pedro

8 hours ago, Weezertron said:

How many footballers who have had poor finishing, went on to improve it dramatically?

Genuine question. I only really expose myself to NUFC, and I can’t remember any poor finishers becomIng good. 

Henry? He was mainly played out wide though. Drogba took a while to mature but that was mostly down to injury etc. 

9 hours ago, gbandit said:

Trying to smoke Watford out with the old ‘prepare a bid so much that journalists state NUFC have bid for a player, when in fact we’re still deep in preparation mode’. Likely to have absolutely dumbfounded Watford 

Or Watford saying there’s been no second bid so the player doesn’t get too unsettled and try to force a move?

21 minutes ago, Keegans Export said:

Henry? He was mainly played out wide though. Drogba took a while to mature but that was mostly down to injury etc. 

correct me if I’m wrong but didn’t wenger move Henry up front because he was impressed with his movement and finishing?

7 hours ago, mighty__mag said:

So what's their valuation?

“The bid that has come in that's been talked about, it's not anywhere near the level that we'd expect it to be for him.”

"If anything else was to come in again, then we'll sit down and talk about it as a club and as a board."

It's reported as being 'closer to £35m' so most people (including Romano) are saying £25m +£5m add ons will do it.

Might be of some relevance that our accepted offer for Ekitike was reported as £25.6M plus around £5M in add-ons.

We’re supposedly at £22M plus £3M in add-ons here, and the last jump was apparently a £5M increase in the guaranteed fee.

Reckon we’ll see a similar offer to the Ekitike one next and then they’ll accept? I’d lean that way, currently.

1 hour ago, Kid Icarus said:

“The bid that has come in that's been talked about, it's not anywhere near the level that we'd expect it to be for him.”

"If anything else was to come in again, then we'll sit down and talk about it as a club and as a board."

It's reported as being 'closer to £35m' so most people (including Romano) are saying £25m +£5m add ons will do it.

It doesn't really make sense to me to spend that much, we were only hearing a few days back that Paqueta could be available now for a similar fee, he's a Brazil international, Pedro has never even been capped at any stage. I'd probably say similar money gets you Gallagher who is also an international, 35m for this lad seems unusual, he's likely going to take Miggys spot, is he even any better?

If this was one of those squad filler type transfers, and the fee was like 10m I'd not be making a sound, but the 35m sounds ridiculous.

My only other feeling on this one, is that Watford will be taking the fee in installments, I've said in other posts, possibly why we might have been mucking about a bit, was because we may be targeting players and clubs that will go with these type of buys over full fees? 

https://www.google.com/amp/s/www.hitc.com/en-gb/2022/08/19/keith-downie-makes-20m-newcastle-claim-about-leicester-city-star-james-maddison/%3famp

That article sort of backs up what I'm saying,  with Downie now reporting we only offered 20m for Maddison, because Downie claims that's all Nufc have left to spend. And the rest of the alleged deal taking it to 45m would have come much later, it's no surprise Leicester ignored the offer. If these are the deals we can only do right now, we'd be better off going down the loan to buy root?

That way at least you get to see if they're a good fit, safer bet if it doesn't work out.

Edited by mighty__mag

1 minute ago, mighty__mag said:

It doesn't really make sense to me to spend that much, we were only hearing a few days back that Paqueta could be available now for a similar fee, he's a Brazil international, Pedro has never even been capped at any stage. I'd probably say similar money gets you Gallagher who is also an international, 35m for this lad seems unusual, he's likely going to take Miggys spot, is he even any better?

If this was one of those squad filler type transfers, and the fee was like 10m I'd not be making a sound, but the 35m sounds ridiculous. 

I think João Pedro being classed as home grown from January and therefore not taking up a squad place is probably factored in, along with him having loads of time left on his current contract.

For me it has to come down to Howe and Ashworth wanting him, it was a similar situation if we'd got Ekitike too and tbf the more I've watched Pedro and seen Watford fans talk about him, the more pursuaded I am.

Absolutely no chance that the same will get Gallagher though. You're talking easily £45m+ for him imo.

1 hour ago, Gawalls said:

correct me if I’m wrong but didn’t wenger move Henry up front because he was impressed with his movement and finishing?

Nope. Henry himself didn't think he was a good enough finisher to play through the middle.

Wenger: "But at the start, it wasn't easy for him because I played him wide. One day I decided to play him through the middle. I said: 'Look, take the ball through the middle, we'll give you some passes, go ahead and score.' He said: 'You can play me through the middle but I can't score goals.' I said to him: 'I don't care, just play there. I don't want you especially to score goals, just try to play well."

3 minutes ago, Kid Icarus said:

I think João Pedro being classed as home grown from January and therefore not taking up a squad place is probably factored in, along with him having loads of time left on his current contract.

For me it has to come down to Howe and Ashworth wanting him, it was a similar situation if we'd got Ekitike too and tbf the more I've watched Pedro and seen Watford fans talk about him, the more pursuaded I am.

Absolutely no chance that the same will get Gallagher though. You're talking easily £45m+ for him imo.

That is interesting, but the fee is inflated in my opinion, he's never a 35m player.

I'll stop going on now ???

6 minutes ago, Kid Icarus said:

It’s not quite that - he wouldn’t take up a squad place this season based on age (would next season I think).

The home-grown thing is only relevant in that you have to have a certain number (17?) in your squad.

2 minutes ago, mighty__mag said:

That is interesting, but the fee is inflated in my opinion, he's never a 35m player.

I'll stop going on now ???

Aye, it's sounding like £25m +£5m in add ons will get him, which seems alright even though as you say there are potentially better, more oven ready players available.

8 hours ago, Theregulars said:

Yup I’m not sure what it is either. My sense is that they were only all in on Botman and Ekitike, and those 2 plus Targett and pope would have been it, maybe another. I think the “plan” that we are seeing snippets of is them working out what to do instead of Ekitike.

I don’t share your frustrations re: striker. It’s a very hard sell and a very narrow corridor - someone super talented who we can develop but can already contribute as a Wilson replacement or as someone else across a front 3. There aren’t that many players good enough and willing to accept those terms so I think we are seeing them try different solutions.

I do share your frustrations re: winger or attacking midfielder. That’s been plain as day since last season. Perhaps they know Wilson is a crock so they want to get the striker sorted first as they see that as more immediately necessary (as we have lots of wingers and midfielders, but barely any strikers). I don’t think it’s a like “one transfer at a time” - I think it’s more like let’s see what we have left after buying the striker, which we think is the priority, and then choose the winger / AM accordingly. That’s also why I reckon the Paqeutá links resurfaced, because perhaps Pedro leaves us enough budget. 

It’s all speculation. Clearly a lot of

thought and analysis goes into your posts and they’re interesting I think.

I'm also not that frustrated by a striker. I would priortise RW & CM. Hence why I like JP.

1 hour ago, Rich said:

Might be of some relevance that our accepted offer for Ekitike was reported as £25.6M plus around £5M in add-ons.

We’re supposedly at £22M plus £3M in add-ons here, and the last jump was apparently a £5M increase in the guaranteed fee.

Reckon we’ll see a similar offer to the Ekitike one next and then they’ll accept? I’d lean that way, currently.

I hope so. Really feel our next offer, if any, will be our last one. 

It's weird how this is reported, doesn't really seem like it would reflect how a negotiation is done in real life.

I would expect the two clubs to just get on a call and talk until they agreed (or not). It's pretty weird to have these big one-off bids that are prepared and submitted, with long periods of time in between. 

Is this really how transfers are done?

2 minutes ago, AyeDubbleYoo said:

It's weird how this is reported, doesn't really seem like it would reflect how a negotiation is done in real life.

I would expect the two clubs to just get on a call and talk until they agreed (or not). It's pretty weird to have these big one-off bids that are prepared and submitted, with long periods of time in between. 

Is this really how transfers are done?

I've always thought that. Surely it would be one exercise where they outcome is a bid or no bid, but if there is a bid it's what you agreed on. Definitely shouldn't be the equivalent of offering your 3 best offers on eBay :lol:

Depending on the structure of your clubs, negotiations will be very different.

For example, Chelsea right now under Todd Boeley seem very hands on. That means if they get a bid rejected, they will go straight into another bid to get the deal done quickly, often regardless of cost. Mainly because the guy in charge of the kitty is making the bids.

At NUFC right now, we keep hearing about process, so it wouldn't suprise me if Ashworth has to present a plan to the board for each bid, I.e structures, costs, wages etc, before actually sending it to the selling club.

It might be tedious and almost overly methodical but it's a sensible and structured way of doing things.

It will be different at every club.

13 hours ago, Joey47 said:

He looks class in this compilation.

That's the best video of him I've seen. There's some really exciting touches in there which are not only about fancy tricks but also show some intelligence and awareness of other players around him.

Get it done.

8 minutes ago, TRon said:

That's the best video of him I've seen. There's some really exciting touches in there which are not only about fancy tricks but also show some intelligence and awareness of other players around him.

Get it done.

I'm telling you man. I'm really beginning to think he comes in and steals that wide right position. 

Some of the things he was doing in that clip man. We don't have too many people with that kind of ability in our current team.

don't really care about stats, he looks better than Ekitike, in my opinion. a lot more controlled, powerful, better technique, higher awareness.

I hope we get him, could turn out to be a very shrewd bit of business.

At one point we're just going to have to meet the selling clubs valuation of a player. 

I get that we won't pay over the odds, I get FFP and all that but this charade of bidding for players and the selling club saying, no that's not enough is getting tiresome. 

We're going to have to start bidding for players that are within our price range. The summer has largely been a waste of time so far.

2 minutes ago, Doctor Zaius said:

At one point we're just going to have to meet the selling clubs valuation of a player. 

I get that we won't pay over the odds, I get FFP and all that but this charade of bidding for players and the selling club saying, no that's not enough is getting tiresome. 

We're going to have to start bidding for players that are within our price range. The summer has largely been a waste of time so far.

It really hasn’t. They’ve got a plan, it’s process drive and they’re sticking to it 

How many targets have we really lost out on? Obviously Ekitike. Madisson may well just be speculative. And was Diaby really anything but a non-starter from the beginning? It's been somewhat boring, but I am not sure if I would qualify it as a waste of time. I am pretty glad that they aren't just firing wildly into a dark room like Everton did tbh.