João Pedro

Sounds like the player isn't happy about the move being blocked which I think has led to the leaks.

Just looked at the highlights of their match last night and he seemed involved in the better bits of play. Got past 2 to get to the byline and put a good cross in on his left, lovely dinked ball over the top for the striker with his right. Should've done better with his chance at the end, like, but he's shown he can score goals in that league. Seems like he was playing all across the front line at various points?

His style makes it look like he's a lot older than 20.

4 minutes ago, Happinesstan said:

Pretty sure he never mentioned oppression.

I know. But you must have seen some of the comments like, “people are allowed a differing opinion.”, which is sort of implying that they think that there are those who are trying to silence them, or at least want them silenced.. It’s pretty weird and reminds me a little of artificial victimhood (justly or unjustly).

Edited by Vinny Green Balls

2 minutes ago, Thumbheed said:

Not sure where people think we are as a club but if it's already at the point where we're genuinly disappointed, dismayed or even annoyed that we're not getting the CL quality players (emphasis on CL quality) we'd originally targetted then I'm not sure we have any right to ever be despondent when people call us deluded. 

Just because you have a differing opinion, it doesn't mean we can't point out it's a load of shite. 

Who said it was a load of shite? I didn't say that. i just don't think Pedro is the answer. If they do sign him I hope he does brilliant . I hope.

All of the hyperbole comes from the happy clappers.

It is understandable people may be a bit underwhelmed by Joao Pedro when we'd previously been linked to Diaby and Isaak who operate in similar positions.

It doesn't mean they're "entitled, ungrateful or bedwetting".

Most are buzzing about our signings to date and start to the new season (myself included).

Edited by PlymouthGeordie

3 minutes ago, St1pe said:

It’s happening this one like and I’m all for it. 

It's looking promising.

When we were first linked in June, the articles I read back then said the Watford owner really liked him and would not accept anything under a total value of £30 million and was being adamant about it. We've likely gone around to explore other possible options before now coming back to look to finalise this deal, which is fair enough really.

Be exciting to bring in a really highly rated youngster. We just never seem to make these kinds of signings. It's particularly exciting because we have legitimate coach that is capable of getting a lot out of the players he works with.

Apparently this kid is a very hard worker as well with high character. The Telegraph article  @The Prophet shared goes into detail on him a bit. Was very interesting.

https://www.telegraph.co.uk/football/2022/08/14/joao-pedro-watford-forward-no-one-talking-yet/?utm_content=football&utm_medium=Social&utm_campaign=Echobox&utm_source=Twitter#Echobox=1660499714

4 minutes ago, Vinny Green Balls said:

I know. But you must have seen some of the comments like, “people are

allowed a differing opinion.”, which is sort of implying that they think that there are those who are trying to silence them or something. It’s pretty weird.

People are being overdramatic, as is the wont this millennium

People say their thoughts are "opinions" then somebody who thinks differently attacks that opinion, then people start saying "You're not oppressed".

I think You all need to grow the fuck up.

Edited by Happinesstan

10 minutes ago, Manxst said:

Tevez refused to come into the pitch against Bayern and subsequently fucked off to South America for 6 months in his third season there, after a massive falling out with Mancini!

? didn't know that

There is nothing wrong with the way the club is running and doing business. we’ve known for weeks, had we listened that we have a strict budget which is absolutely fine. I’m just not keen on one of our targets. Not sure it’s that big a deal tbh 

Good signing at around £25m, you don't get much for that really. Always liked the look of him even though his stats aren't that impressive. Has movement with and without the ball, plenty of energy from what I've seen. Comes out well in those pressing/running chart things. Would be happy to add him to the squad.

Just now, PlymouthGeordie said:

All of the hyperbole comes from the happy clappers.

It is understandable people may be a bit underwhelmed by Joao Pedro when we'd previously been linked to Diaby and Isaak who operate in similar positions.

It doesn't mean they're "entitled, ungrateful or bedwetting".

Most our buzzing about our signings to date and start to the new season (myself included).

This is patently false. Were you paying attention all through the early Howe months? Some of that shit has continued on up until now. I do think we have probably unfairly grouped some people in with those, which is uncool. I am certainly guilty of that. But there is a subsection who seem to be cynical  just for the sake of it, and then act like they are being victimized by us merry band of over optimistic bullies.

4 minutes ago, Happinesstan said:

People are being overdramatic, as is the wont this millennium

People say their thoughts are "opinions" then somebody who thinks differently attacks that opinion, then people start saying "You're not oppressed".

I think You all need to grow the fuck up.

I don’t disagree with what you are saying, but there really is a manufactured sense of victimhood with some of this, man. Not long ago, people were accusing others of being in the clique for calling their views out (almost sheeple level bad). 

If we get him and then one of the Chelsea lot on loan (Gallagher, CHO or Pulisic) then I’m pretty content with that as a window. 

I think we’ll have £50m or so for January and would like to think we’d use that one one main player for the team.

His signing would put a lot more pressure on whoever they decide to go for in the attacking wide right position, or attacking mid position. Whoever that is really needs to come in with the guarantee of providing goals and assists.

Just now, Vinny Green Balls said:

I don’t disagree with what you are saying, but there really is a manufactured sense of victimhood with some of this, man. Not long ago, people were accusing others of being in the clique for calling their views out (almost sheeple level bad). 

There is also a self manufactured sense of superiority in those who view every thought as an opinion to be shot down by their own opinion. You're both as bad as each other for over valuing your thoughts.

1 minute ago, Vinny Green Balls said:

At this point it's just best to look over any posts that are just making the same complaints all the time. There's still a decent number of more balanced views.

And the folks that feel things are not good can also feel free to communicate that with each other and lament the current situation together.

1 minute ago, Vinny Green Balls said:

This is patently false. Were you paying attention all through the early Howe months? Some of that shit has continued on up until now. I do think we have probably unfairly grouped some people in with those, which is uncool. I am certainly guilty of that. But there is a subsection who seem to be cynical  just for the sake of it, and then act like they are being victimized by us merry band of over optimistic bullies.

I disagree.

I feel myself I'm a pretty balanced poster (I'm sure everyone feels that way about themselves to be fair ?).

It seems to me that the more positive posters often take offence to questions asked of the ownership etc. It is those people that throw around terms such as "bedwetters" because they disagree with a bid or potential player being framed negatively. Rather than engage in a conversation they just give the other poster a "label" and dismiss their credibility even though everyones credibility on here is the same i.e we're all just supporters.

Responses to people who may be unsure/unhappy about one aspect of the club or one action they've take are regularly condescending. I don't see that that happen when a more negative posters responds to someone that is overly positive.

12 minutes ago, Vinny Green Balls said:

Tbh that only really works if the same people are being negative and miserable about everything and there only appears to be about 2 or 3 of them. On the flip side I’ve seen the same people relentlessly buzzing about every single link. We could be linked with the return of Sammy Ameobi and these people would be buzzing.
People are going to think differently about players it’s normal. There is no right or wrong. The relentless arguing over it is what makes it ‘toxic’ let’s just appreciate you might like a player and I might not. Ultimately what matters is now they do for Newcastle United when they sign 

Edited by gdm

14 minutes ago, KaKa said:

It's looking promising.

When we were first linked in June, the articles I read back then said the Watford owner really liked him and would not accept anything under a total value of £30 million and was being adamant about it. We've likely gone around to explore other possible options before now coming back to look to finalise this deal, which is fair enough really.

Be exciting to bring in a really highly rated youngster. We just never seem to make these kinds of signings. It's particularly exciting because we have legitimate coach that is capable of getting a lot out of the players he works with.

Apparently this kid is a very hard worker as well with high character. The Telegraph article  @The Prophet shared goes into detail on him a bit. Was very interesting.

https://www.telegraph.co.uk/football/2022/08/14/joao-pedro-watford-forward-no-one-talking-yet/?utm_content=football&utm_medium=Social&utm_campaign=Echobox&utm_source=Twitter#Echobox=1660499714

Great article. High praise from two accomplished coaches who know him well. 

Just now, Happinesstan said:

There is also a self manufactured sense of superiority in those who view every thought as an opinion to be shot down by their own opinion. You're both as bad as each other for over valuing your thoughts.

I certainly don’t think I am superior, man. I read this forum a lot, and sometimes engage, but often just observe.  I’ve just been quite irritated with a lot of the negativity and cynicism from some (this cynicism being well documented). But I have totally harped on about it too much, which hasn’t exactly contributed positively. And I am genuinely sorry for that.

4 minutes ago, PlymouthGeordie said:

I disagree.

I feel myself I'm a pretty balanced poster (I'm sure everyone feels that way about themselves to be fair ?).

It seems to me that the more positive posters often take offence to questions asked of the ownership etc. It is those people that throw around terms such as "bedwetters" because they disagree with a bid or potential player being framed negatively. Rather than engage in a conversation they just give the other poster a "label" and dismiss their credibility even though everyones credibility on here is the same i.e we're all just supporters.

Responses to people who may be unsure/unhappy about one aspect of the club or one action they've take are regularly condescending. I don't see that that happen when a more negative posters responds to someone that is overly positive.

I never had a problem with you, and certainly did not have you in mind with my posts.

1 minute ago, Happinesstan said:

I see what you're saying but that's not where Vinny is really coming from.

The issue is really how the constant complaining in much the same manner and daily ... essentially makes the thread painful to navigate.

But like I said already. It's just the nature of the beast. Best to just quickly look over those type of posts and not bother engaging. It doesn't lead to any kind of decent discussion anyway and just actually makes things more tedious.

1 hour ago, mrmojorisin75 said:

no, 50m for toney would be excellent business

50 million buys you a premium player. Not Ivan Toney. 

edit. So if we get this guy, RW next and we are done? Watford losing their whole front 3.

Edited by KingArthur