João Pedro

3 minutes ago, Flip said:

Jack Harrison is 5 years older than Joao Pedro. 5 years ago Harrison was playing in the MLS and 4 games for Middlesbrough in the Championship. It's hard to compare. I do think Harrison is going to have hell of a season for Leeds by the looks of it though :thup: 

Yeah. I just get the feeling Harrison is at his peak, and a somewhat guaranteed success at the right price, which Leeds wouldn't accept.

15 minutes ago, Flip said:

I do agree that £35m might be a tad expensive. But you really need to look away from his goal scoring. He's turning 21 year old and is highly rated by the Watford fans that watch him week in week out. After all, Ekitike (who we were after for long) went for £35m and 2 seasons ago he scored 3 goals in the Danish league. If the club, and especially Howe is willing to pay that sum for him we need to trust their decision. 

*the more brazilians the better for the club.

He’s been bought as a back up striker. Obviously goals are going to be consideration. As good as his potential may be Let’s be honest he’s struggled to affect games against Birmingham, Burnley & West Brom so far this season. 

1 minute ago, Rafalove said:

What makes you say that? Don’t they want 35 million

It's part of the negotiation process. We offer £20m, they ask for £35m. We offer £25m they ask for £32m. We'll meet somewhere in the middle around £28-30m would be my guess.

5 minutes ago, gbandit said:

Not sure about the negativity to be honest. We’ve seen players with far less ability improve in the right set ups and Howe is great at developing players. I like him

Not necessarily negativity, just seen quite a lot of him and don’t rate him at all in those games I’ve seen.

4 minutes ago, TRon said:

I do trust Howe's judegement, but let's hope he doesn't turn into a Dominic Solanke.

Tbf, given what he produced last season, Solanke doesn’t look that bad of a signing now.

2 minutes ago, gdm said:

He’s been bought as a back up striker. Obviously goals are going to be consideration. As good as his potential may be Let’s be honest he’s struggled to affect games against Birmingham, Burnley & West Brom so far this season. 

To be fair, 8 months ago we struggled against Cambridge.

Howe played Wilson and King up front for the majority of his time in the PL with Bournemouth

I don't think it's out of the question that we could go two up front if we get the right personnel in place to play it

Similar price to what we had agreed for Ekiteke.  Perhaps he doesn't have the same potential but he has experience of the league, is settled in the country and seems to be keen on the move.  If Eddie likes him, I'm happy.

Would be a solid signing. He's a player with huge potential.

Eddie Howe is a fantastic coach and even if he only manages to get another 25% out of the lad he will likely hold most of his value in the transfer market.

Whatever fee we pay will be heavily incentivised, based on performance and future achievements too. 

For the lad himself, it will be great for him to play alongside fellow Brazilians, who will make him feel immediately at home. I wouldn't be surprised if those little details don't bring him up a level.Fingers crossed we can get him in for Tranmere.

With Joao Pedro, Anderson, Willock and Botman we can finally see some potential stars of the future. Some won't make it, as is life but hopefully one or two can become big players for us in the future.

4 minutes ago, gdm said:

:lol: At this point I give up. If you think the club (if) is buying him as a back up striker rather than for his potential and what he could develop into, then I can't help you. 

3 minutes ago, SteV said:

Tbf, given what he produced last season, Solanke doesn’t look that bad of a signing now.

Yeah you have to be prepared to wait on younger signings to develop. Same would go with this lad.

The type of player(s) we need is going to make these transfers difficult and potentially a bit unsatisfying for some fans.

There's no established PL goalscorer who's as good as Wilson and would come as backup to him. There are not many wide players who would have striker-level goal numbers and would be happy to play wide one week and be useful up front the next. 

One route we could have gone is to spent massive money to upgrade on Wilson and ASM right now. But I guess for various reasons we decided that's not the way to go in this window. Also we know we need to get much better in a lot of positions, but that will obviously take time. 

For a signing in isolation and not comparing him to whoever... I think Joao Pedro is pretty exciting.  

Say we added Pedro and Gallagher, I think we would have significantly improved our attacking threat even though we didn't really sign a "backup striker".

Edited by AyeDubbleYoo

I don't think there's anything wrong with saying that getting close to £35m for a player who's already played in the premier league and not really caught the eye is eye-watering like. 

Bruno cost that, Ekitike who's gone to PSG was a lower fee. Unless they rate him very highly it's an obvious risk for a player that, at least to the eye of the layman, doesn't look as much of a prospect as other players we've looked at. 

Edited by Kid Icarus

1 minute ago, STM said:

he will likely hold most of his value in the transfer market.

4 minutes ago, simonsays said:

Similar price to what we had agreed for Ekiteke.  Perhaps he doesn't have the same potential but he has experience of the league, is settled in the country and seems to be keen on the move.  If Eddie likes him, I'm happy.

This is the thing. He might not have the same potential as Ekitike, but he's more PL ready. If he can contribute and maintain is value, then this transfer is a down payment on the next level.

Alternatively he turns out to be better than Ekitike and we've saved a fortune.

16 minutes ago, Flip said:

Jack Harrison is 5 years older than Joao Pedro. 5 years ago Harrison was playing in the MLS and 4 games for Middlesbrough in the Championship. It's hard to compare. I do think Harrison is going to have hell of a season for Leeds by the looks of it though :thup: 

Aye. Harrison looks like he'll improve the first team dramatically for that money. As in this season. JP? Not so much.