João Pedro

10 minutes ago, gdm said:

In your opinion. People are allowed a different opinion. It’s not that difficult to understand 

Yes, people do understand that. I mean, WTF is up with this? It is truly one of the lamest defenses in human history to say, "people are allowed a different opinion." 

8 minutes ago, Lotus said:

No, he cost £6m. 
That’s a very very different price point.

That’s when we could’ve had PEA for £13m and AL for £11m. £6m then is more than £25m is now it seems.

9 minutes ago, LFEE said:

That’s when we could’ve had PEA for £13m and AL for £11m. £6m then is more than £25m is now it seems.

Are you sure those prices are correct ? I remember us being  the first club linked with them but not at those prices.

1 hour ago, Lotus said:

If this is genuine, why didn’t we bid for him when Etikite went to PSG?
if he was a real and pre planned target, why is it taking until now?
Theres something seemingly amiss with our strategy regarding the recruitment of forwards.

We can all have lots of faith but if I just look at the evidence, we’ve signed Chris Wood (who was a waste of money and I can’t think of it as anything else) and apart from that,  nothing. Unlucky with Etikite, Under bid for Maddison (ludicrously so), and now have a bid turned down for this nipper.

I can’t make a pattern out of the bids (I’m ignoring the rumours and twitter ‘links’).

I would reckon one of Ashworth’s major jobs is to find a good head of recruitment. 

He wasn't a pre-planned target, it just doesn't make any sense.

I think value is crucial. We don't want to pay more money than we want - for the ideal player ability wise.

Agreed on the head of recruitment. I said at the time - the Maddison bids actually annoyed me. They were never going to be accepted. I was told it's negotiation, we'll go back in small increments or that Leicester were asking for a crazy fee and they would come begging to take £40m. Same with the Harrison bid (which I think we might revisit). Honestly, the type of bids that don't make sense because they ae so low. I think we may have had bad tips from agents or something.

8 minutes ago, madras said:

Are you sure those prices are correct ? I remember us being  the first club linked with them but not at those prices.

Yep. Dortmund got PEA for €13m. AL stayed put then a year or two later Arsenal paid approx £36m for him as well as £56m for PEA. Feel free to Google but figures there or there abouts. Always remember watching Arsenal forward line thinking we could’ve had them both for under £25m 🙂 Ashley’s biggest mistake was not to trust Carr and sign his top picks.

1 minute ago, LFEE said:

Yep. Dortmund got PEA for €13m. AL stayed put then a year or two later Arsenal paid approx £36m for him as well as £56m for PEA. Feel free to Google but figures there or there abouts. Always remember watching Arsenal forward line thinking we could’ve had them both for under £25m 🙂 Ashley’s biggest mistake was not to trust Carr and sign his top picks.

It's the AL bit that got me (and I thought PEA went for slightly more), also timescales as I thought AL went closer after we were interested.

2 hours ago, Lotus said:

If this is genuine, why didn’t we bid for him when Etikite went to PSG?
if he was a real and pre planned target, why is it taking until now?
Theres something seemingly amiss with our strategy regarding the recruitment of forwards.

We can all have lots of faith but if I just look at the evidence, we’ve signed Chris Wood (who was a waste of money and I can’t think of it as anything else) and apart from that,  nothing. Unlucky with Etikite, Under bid for Maddison (ludicrously so), and now have a bid turned down for this nipper.

I can’t make a pattern out of the bids (I’m ignoring the rumours and twitter ‘links’).

I would reckon one of Ashworth’s major jobs is to find a good head of recruitment. 

This guy was first linked all the way back in June. They were apparently discouraging bids then and insisting on big money.

I imagine we've been trying to bring that price down, and perhaps have waited until now to see how much yhey could do so. This pretty standard when clubs are trying to get the best price possible.

Not a fan of the negativity either but saying we wouldn’t have stayed up if we didn’t sign Wood is absolutely ridiculous mind . He is a cart horse and him being signed had absolutely  zero bearing on where we finished .

Edited by Geogaddi

59 minutes ago, Geogaddi said:

Not a fan of the negativity either but saying we wouldn’t have stayed up if we didn’t sign Wood is absolutely ridiculous mind . He is a cart horse and him being signed had absolutely  zero bearing on where we finished .

Captain Hindsight to the rescue.

3 hours ago, gdm said:

In your opinion. People are allowed a different opinion. It’s not that difficult to understand 

Of course. It’s just pretty laughable/predictable to read these “opinions”, that’s all.

People saying he’s shit / Wood mk2… I mean, it’s just completely objectively bullshit. He’s 20 years old, been one of the rare top performers at a struggling club for a couple of seasons, has bags of potential but is nowhere near the finished article, yet. You could write the above almost word for word for Ekitike but he got an entirely different reaction because he was new to people.

I just think people aren’t understanding what kind of player we’ve actually been looking for. We’ve, to me, quite clearly been looking for a versatile, young forward player that isn’t afraid to play backup to Wilson for a while, but who can contribute a lot more than Wood. With the added bonus of providing more competition / pace across the whole front line.

He fits that bill quite well. Not necessarily my first choice for it, but a good shout.

4 hours ago, The College Dropout said:

He wasn't a pre-planned target, it just doesn't make any sense.

I think value is crucial. We don't want to pay more money than we want - for the ideal player ability wise.

Agreed on the head of recruitment. I said at the time - the Maddison bids actually annoyed me. They were never going to be accepted. I was told it's negotiation, we'll go back in small increments or that Leicester were asking for a crazy fee and they would come begging to take £40m. Same with the Harrison bid (which I think we might revisit). Honestly, the type of bids that don't make sense because they ae so low. I think we may have had bad tips from agents or something.

We’ve underbid for every player so far, some of them were so wildly unrealistic (Maddison as one example), they make no sense at all.

Bidding for several different players all at valuations the selling club will never accept is one of the strangest transfer policies I’ve seen. Especially when we evidently have no ambition to come even remotely close to the asking price. 

5 hours ago, Geogaddi said:

Tell me you don’t understand football without saying you don’t understand football…

Out of interest, had we not signed him, who would you have played up front instead?

Edited by SteV

Fair bit of revisionist history going on here. Wood has not been up to it so far (though I hold out some hope he can be a decent option off the bench with less pressure) but we were absolutely dire trying to play without a recognised striker. The difference to our play once we had that up front, effective or not, was night and day. Ordinarily not worth that amount but it kept us up 

Guest HTT II

His presence give us an outlet which we wouldn’t have had in Wilson’s absence without him, his pressing allowed us to keep pressure on the opposition defence and get us up the field, his flick ons although they didn’t usually work 100%, also allowed us to stretch play left or right, because we could then have runners to his side, so to say he had zero effect on where we finished or us staying up is absolute nonsense and shows a lack of footballing understanding.

It’s not always all just about goals scored, it’s what a player brings to the team and how that player can effect the rest of the team, the tactics, the game plan and Wood had a more positive effect than a negative one, even though his goal return was negative in the main.

Edited by HTT II

All for taking on a hungry young forward who can grow and develop with in some areas of the pitch an aging squad. My issue is more down to the fact we know Wilson will break down and would like to be relying on more of a "sure thing". Wilson automatic starter when fit and playing one central striker rules out a high calibre 24-27 year old who doesn't want to play second fiddle unless they can work across a front 3. This means we are better off as they are coming in squad numbers wise to replace gayle who wasn't getting a game but someone so raw with so few goals so far is still a little scary to hang your hat on. If this was a purchase to go along side another attacker this window it would make more sense. 

Guest HTT II
5 minutes ago, LV said:

I didn’t realise the age of consent in Brazil is 14. 

In that case, I know where my next holiday is…