João Pedro

Up until 2016 was Salah considered a poor finisher? I can’t remember, he obviously had great pace back then but was mismanaged at Chelsea. He then turned into one of the best finishers the premier league has ever seen 

13 minutes ago, Weezertron said:

How many footballers who have had poor finishing, went on to improve it dramatically?

Genuine question. I only really expose myself to NUFC, and I can’t remember any poor finishers becomIng good. 

I’d say Raheem Sterling. Was a poor finisher at Liverpool and is still a little flaky now but generally solid. 

Trying to smoke Watford out with the old ‘prepare a bid so much that journalists state NUFC have bid for a player, when in fact we’re still deep in preparation mode’. Likely to have absolutely dumbfounded Watford 

There’s this idea that there’s this Newcastle tax. There’s not. 

There’s a tax for signing players teams don’t want to sell or feel like they should sell. 

We have willingly outbid teams for targets when a lower fee could’ve secured the player (if the player actually wanted to come). That’s the biggest tax, the ‘don’t play for the champions league club - play for us’ tax.  

8 minutes ago, The College Dropout said:

There’s this idea that there’s this Newcastle tax. There’s not. 

There’s a tax for signing players teams don’t want to sell or feel like they should sell. 

We have willingly outbid teams for targets when a lower fee could’ve secured the player (if the player actually wanted to come). That’s the biggest tax, the ‘don’t play for the champions league club - play for us’ tax.  

You complain we haven't made enough quality signings, then you complain that we get the reasons for not making those signings incorrect, like you're saying we're aiming too high in the first place. A complete contradiction. So which is it? I honestly think you revel in negativity :lol:

Edited by LionOfGosforth

I see people are now asserting that he is a 'poor finisher'. Do we really have enough information to be declaring that as fact? :lol:

There's a myriad of reasons as to why his numbers aren't higher. How have we come to the conclusion that he is a poor finisher exactly? My God :lol:

26 minutes ago, The College Dropout said:

@Fantail Breeze you’re on a roll. When you really analyse our transfer approach, there are some things that just don’t make any sense and  show ineptitude. 

It’s early days for the entire regime though. 

What are those things? I'm not saying they haven't made mistakes, as I think they were probably a bit naive with Ekitike deal for example. I'm just struggling to think of anything particularly major.

11 minutes ago, LionOfGosforth said:

You complain we haven't made enough quality signings, then you complain that we get the reasons for not making those signings incorrect, like you're saying we're aiming too high in the first place. A complete contradiction. So which is it? I honestly think you revel in negativity :lol:

The reason we aren't making the signings is we aren't  prepared to meet clubs (fair) valuation price. That's the reason we haven't landed Maddison & Harrison. Diaby & Isak too. If we don't land JP, it will be because we won't meet his clubs valuation of him.

There's been 2 occasions we have been more than happy to meet a clubs valuation and seem happy to pay more than other clubs would (probably because we are paying over longer instalments, with the other clubs paying more upfront - I assume). We priced out Milan for Botman (or they didn't want to invest so much in defence) and offered more money for Ekitike than PSG.

That's not a contradiction. I mean, it's not even an opinion. It's what has been reported in the media.

3 minutes ago, The College Dropout said:

The reason we aren't making the signings is we aren't  prepared to meet clubs (fair) valuation price. That's the reason we haven't landed Maddison & Harrison. Diaby & Isak too. If we don't land JP, it will be because we won't meet his clubs valuation of him.

There's been 2 occasions we have been more than happy to meet a clubs valuation and seem happy to pay more than other clubs would (probably because we are paying over longer instalments, with the other clubs paying more upfront - I assume). We priced out Milan for Botman (or they didn't want to invest so much in defence) and offered more money for Ekitike than PSG.

That's not a contradiction. I mean, it's not even an opinion. It's what has been reported in the media.

Wouldn’t call the Isak and Diaby valuations fair, if of course the press reports where correct.

2 minutes ago, The Prophet said:

What are those things? I'm not saying they haven't made mistakes, as I think they were probably a bit naive with Ekitike deal for example. I'm just struggling to think of anything particularly major.

Dallying over sacking Bruce. Messy hiring process for Howe. Naive with Etikite and not having clear back-ups. Embarassing bid for Maddison. Similar weird low-balling for Harrison.

I'm not sure we've allocated the transfer funds across the squad in the most optimal manner.

But nothing fatal. We are bringing in good players who are good characters and are being pretty risk averse.

45 minutes ago, Weezertron said:

How many footballers who have had poor finishing, went on to improve it dramatically?

Genuine question. I only really expose myself to NUFC, and I can’t remember any poor finishers becomIng good. 

Depends how far back in their career you look in some cases. Haaland before getting his move to Molde in the top league in Norway played 16 games for Bryne in the second division, and scored 0 goals. First season in Molde (who if I remember correctly was the best team in Norway at the time) he only managed 2 goals in 14 games. In his last season at Molde he scored 12 in 25. Althought that isn't bad, it's not exactly prolific considering the team he was playing for and the quality of the league and what he went on to do after. Salzburg saw the obvious potential in him and took a chance by spending a sizable amount (relative for them) of money on him. It wasn't really until he got his move abroad that people were seriously starting to consider him one of the most exciting striker talents in the world.

Just for clarity, I'm not saying Pedro has the potential to become as good as Haaland :lol: