João Pedro

2 minutes ago, The Prophet said:

Sounds daft, but could he be the creative outlet we've been after and we also want an understudy to Wilson?

Hard to tell, because if our reported first choices had come through, it would have been Ekitike and Diaby. So Ekitike who has similar attributes to João Pedro would have been the back up for Wilson, with Diaby at RW.

2 minutes ago, Kid Icarus said:

Honestly, watching him, he looks every bit the player you'd put in the Henry role drifting from the left. Similar to what Ekitike looked like. He doesn't look like a striker in the understudy to Wilson mould at all.

I don't think there's anything in this, it doesn't make much sense at all. We get linked to new players every day now. The fact our owners were at Chelsea has more behind it than anything else.

I'm just not convinced by this one.

I'll be wrong though now I've said that [emoji38]

Just now, mighty__mag said:

I don't think there's anything in this, it doesn't make much sense at all. We get linked to new players every day now. The fact our owners were at Chelsea has more behind it than anything else.

I'm just not convinced by this one.

I'll be wrong though now I've said that [emoji38]

I think it's highly unlikely that there's nothing to it when Fabricio Romano and the Athletic have reported on it and Watford's manager confirmed that the bid they'd received from us was well below their valuation. :lol:

There is no Newcastle tax as far as I can see, the market is absolutely insane due to the popularity and riches of the Premier League, literally every club is overpaying for players. Have you seen the amounts being payed for average/above average players. We are trying to be shrewd, every signing apart from Chris Wood has been insanely shrewd, we've signed England's best goalkeeper for 10 mil, absolutely incredible.

We're doing great just enjoy the next couple weeks.

2 minutes ago, Kid Icarus said:

I think it's highly unlikely that there's nothing to it when Fabricio Romano and the Athletic have reported on it and Watford's manager confirmed that the bid they'd received from us was well below their valuation. :lol:

Enquiries and official bids though?

These are the same guys/media saying were in for all sorts of players. I don't doubt we've enquired about all kinds of players maybe low offers have gone in? I'm probably just leaning towards it's not going anywhere. You kind of know an official bid has been made when Downie and Sky are on it.

1 minute ago, Mountain said:

There is no Newcastle tax as far as I can see, the market is absolutely insane due to the popularity and riches of the Premier League, literally every club is overpaying for players. Have you seen the amounts being payed for average/above average players. We are trying to be shrewd, every signing apart from Chris Wood has been insanely shrewd, we've signed England's best goalkeeper for 10 mil, absolutely incredible.

More of this!

We're doing a grand job and it'll all work out.

7 minutes ago, mighty__mag said:

Enquiries and official bids though?

These are the same guys/media saying were in for all sorts of players. I don't doubt we've enquired about all kinds of players maybe low offers have gone in? I'm probably just leaning towards it's not going anywhere. You kind of know an official bid has been made when Downie and Sky are on it.

Yeah, Watford's manager said our bid was nowhere near their valuation.

43 minutes ago, The College Dropout said:

So glad to have muted Vinny on my balls too. I just know he's on my nuts.

No tbf - I think I do.

We want to mainly sign youngish players on the way up who can grow and improve with the team. Whose value will increase and we want to pay what we consider good "value". Bruno and Botman are the benchmark imo. I think the "plan" in May would be to have at least 1 attacker already signed by now... and that hasn't happened. I don't think any team plans to not have key business done by 18/8.

In terms of particular players and such. I don't know. But I don't expect us to sign a 28 year-old for £50m.

I assume the plan is to sign JP and at least 1 other player.

This is not to sound like a know-it-all, it's just what they've tried (or not tried) to do all summer anyway according to the media.

Yup I’m not sure what it is either. My sense is that they were only all in on Botman and Ekitike, and those 2 plus Targett and pope would have been it, maybe another. I think the “plan” that we are seeing snippets of is them working out what to do instead of Ekitike.

I don’t share your frustrations re: striker. It’s a very hard sell and a very narrow corridor - someone super talented who we can develop but can already contribute as a Wilson replacement or as someone else across a front 3. There aren’t that many players good enough and willing to accept those terms so I think we are seeing them try different solutions.

I do share your frustrations re: winger or attacking midfielder. That’s been plain as day since last season. Perhaps they know Wilson is a crock so they want to get the striker sorted first as they see that as more immediately necessary (as we have lots of wingers and midfielders, but barely any strikers). I don’t think it’s a like “one transfer at a time” - I think it’s more like let’s see what we have left after buying the striker, which we think is the priority, and then choose the winger / AM accordingly. That’s also why I reckon the Paqeutá links resurfaced, because perhaps Pedro leaves us enough budget. 

It’s all speculation. Clearly a lot of

thought and analysis goes into your posts and they’re interesting I think.

Edited by Theregulars

I'm totally fine with our window so far, can understand it's slow considering the financial constraints that have been put on us.

But saying that the one thing I really don't understand and I'll admit I'm totally ignorant about this is the fact we submit bids without any kind of dialogue with the selling party.  Just straight in with a bid. And ultimately the bid gets rejected (and made very public) and we maybe table a second bid (again seemingly without any encouragement or dialogue with the selling party) and gets rejected again and we realise it's a lost cause and give up the chase.

Like I say I'm ignorant about it all and maybe we have received encouragement along the way but it's quite clear some of the bids we've submitted seemed destined to fail and at times been way, way below their market value.

Before anyone asks I don't think these are artificial smokescreen bids to deceive fans like the previous regime. No not at all, I applaud the ambition in the pursuit but just find these bids odd that the selling party and our valuation seem miles apart with no apparent discussion between the club's.

Edited by dcmk

16 minutes ago, TheHoob said:

If people don't think some clubs and agents are whacking on a few extra million when they see the Saudis and their bag of unlimited money knocking on their door they are absolutely out of their tree. 

There's probably something in it but the market in England is generally crackers, like. I'm sure Watford would be holding out for 30mill regardless of who was knocking on the door. 

12 minutes ago, Mountain said:

If everyone is overpaying does that not just make it the going rate though? 

Pope had one year on his contract and he wanted to stay in the league after Burnley got relegated.

Trippier wanted to move to the North of England and Atleti/Simeone agreed to sell him at a good price to allow him to do that. 

Targett we were able to agree to a low fee because he was horribly out of form and didn't fit in with their style of play going forward under Gerrard and he didn't want to sit in the bench.

Bruno we got for a great fee as Lyon had a load of financial problems with covid and dropping out the champions League spots. 

All great business but the attackers we seem to be targeting don't fall into the same sort of scenarios where we can take advantage and get them at a 'fair' price. If you want a clubs best winger or striker you have to make it worthwhile them even considering selling. 

8 minutes ago, Jaqen said:

If everyone is overpaying does that not just make it the going rate though? 

Pope had one year on his contract and he wanted to stay in the league after Burnley got relegated.

Trippier wanted to move to the North of England and Atleti/Simeone agreed to sell him at a good price to allow him to do that. 

Targett we were able to agree to a low fee because he was horribly out of form and didn't fit in with their style of play going forward under Gerrard and he didn't want to sit in the bench.

Bruno we got for a great fee as Lyon had a load of financial problems with covid and dropping out the champions League spots. 

All great business but the attackers we seem to be targeting don't fall into the same sort of scenarios where we can take advantage and get them at a 'fair' price. If you want a clubs best winger or striker you have to make it worthwhile them even considering selling. 

I agree with all but Targett. He was player of the year before, he wasn't out of form. They brought in a new LB  and he didn't want to sit on the bench as you said. I guess you are mostly right as Gerrard didn't think he'd fit.

8 minutes ago, McDog said:

I agree with all but Targett. He was player of the year before, he wasn't out of form. They brought in a new LB  and he didn't want to sit on the bench as you said. I guess you are mostly right as Gerrard didn't think he'd fit.

The previous season he was yeah. Didn't he start last season really below par? Villa fans always seem to quote a Watford game funnily enough in which he apparently got destroyed by Sarr all game and looked shaky defensively for a while after that. 

Either way getting the option to buy in was great work as no doubt they'd not have sold him for the same price this summer after that loan period. 

Not sure where this notion that's there's definitely not a 'Newcastle tax' has come from.

There's at least 2 clear examples of times we've had the price raised on us after seemingly coming close to agreeing fees for players were after (Carlos and Botman) and they're the ones we know of. 

Also pretty sure the signing of Ashworth himself was delayed because Brighton were trying to charge us a premium too. 

9 minutes ago, Thumbheed said:

Not sure where this notion that's there's definitely not a 'Newcastle tax' has come from.

There's at least 2 clear examples of times we've had the price raised on us after seemingly coming close to agreeing fees for players were after (Carlos and Botman) and they're the ones we know of. 

Also pretty sure the signing of Ashworth himself was delayed because Brighton were trying to charge us a premium too. 

Most clubs don’t want to sell in January and or negotiating position was as weak as piss. 

14 minutes ago, Thumbheed said:

There isn’t a Newcastle tax. A Premier League tax, sure. Teams will tend to sell if you get to or close enough to the value they put on their player. This idea that teams will willingly miss out on a great payday and take a lower offer from other teams just to stick it to Newcastle is ridiculous. 

32 minutes ago, r0cafella said:

Most clubs don’t want to sell in January and or negotiating position was as weak as piss. 

Surely the point is we'd allegedly come very close to agreeing a price only for it to be raised late on which would suggest a 'newcastle tax'. It's not like it happened to us at any point in the previous 15 years. 

There was also talk that the £5m that Brighton were asking for Ashworth was far higher than the compensation agreed for an equivalent appointment at a different club (can't remember who), which again suggests a Newcastle tax.

And finally, let's not forget that our own takeover was delayed because of alleged objections from others clubs who'd singled us out as a threat to their own success, something which lead to FFP rule changes which on paper look to be aimed squarely at us too. It would completely naive to assume that the opportunity to stick it to us has just flatly disappeared all of a sudden and moreso during transfer negotiations. 

Edited by Thumbheed

3 hours ago, McCormick said:

There isn’t a Newcastle tax. A Premier League tax, sure. Teams will tend to sell if you get to or close enough to the value they put on their player. This idea that teams will willingly miss out on a great payday and take a lower offer from other teams just to stick it to Newcastle is ridiculous. 

It wouldn't be just to stick it to Newcastle. Clubs will ask more of Forest now because they are burning through Money and have Premier league Money, clubs will ask more of Southampton than Anderlecht because they know they have more Money. Clubs will try to get as much as they can, part of that equation will be how much can the buying team afford, if you have the biggest backers then the sellers will ask for more.

It’s a bit tricky re Joao Pedro. Some people believes that he has huge potential, some not so. Some clubs may really charge us Newcastle tax, but for Joao Pedro case I think it’s more about the player himself. I did read some articles ranking him as the third best brazil prospect in the world, even higher than Antony.

those who hold similar beliefs would demand something close to 30m, which is rumoured to be exactly what Watford is asking.

Edited by Zero

7 hours ago, Weezertron said:

How many footballers who have had poor finishing, went on to improve it dramatically?

Genuine question. I only really expose myself to NUFC, and I can’t remember any poor finishers becomIng good. 

Shearer only had 10 in 77 before he was 21.