Alexander Isak

Disco

Just now, cubaricho said:

Was it Thiago and VVD? Love it. :lol: 

Thiago is injured and VVD was the other side. Think it was Robertson and Gomez. 

I was out with some LFC supporting mates tonight. All agreed the offside was harsh and also that “nobody in our squad would show that kind of composure to finish that chance.” 

14 hours ago, KaKa said:

You should see him playing off another front man, dropping into holes picking up the ball and running at players with it. He is just as devastating doing that, especially as he has a lethal long range shot.

Anyway, tired of discussing his versatility and all around game. Folks will see it for themselves soon enough.

That didn't answer the question to be fair so maybe you have elsewhere. If Wilson is fit, does he replace Almiron? If he plays off Wilson as you suggest above, do we then need to change the system or not? As playing 'off the front man' is not Almiron's role. Or does he go wide and then also put the defensive shift that in that we expect from Almiron. Reasonable questions iyam and having read the transfer thread, i am pretty sure repetition isn't frowned upon. 

14 hours ago, rebelrouser said:

So now we are expecting Wilson to remain healthy? He's already missed 40% of the season with injury. I know it's early but that is the point too; it's early and he is already out.  Isak is his replacement. Would not be surprised to see us sell him and replace him with a younger player next summer, especially if that younger player can move out wide. 

No, the premise of the question is that they are both fit. 

Our system is made for overlapping full backs, well at least on the right hand side (Tripps). This means we are not playing an out and out "winger" on the right but an "inside right" forward. Miggy currently plays this role well and Isak could easily play this role, or even Calum as they are both right footed.

The question for Eddie is who of the two of them goes right?

4 minutes ago, buzza said:

Our system is made for overlapping full backs, well at least on the right hand side (Tripps). This means we are not playing an out and out "winger" on the right but an "inside right" forward. Miggy currently plays this role well and Isak could easily play this role, or even Calum as they are both right footed.

The question for Eddie is who of the two of them goes right?

Inside forward better suits a left footer on the right. And we spend a lot of time without the ball so the inside forward has to put in a mighty shift off the ball moreso than the ST.

Not saying Wilson or Isak couldn't do it.

2 minutes ago, The College Dropout said:

Inside forward better suits a left footer on the right. And we spend a lot of time without the ball so the inside forward has to put in a mighty shift off the ball moreso than the ST.

Isak's pressing was very well executed at Anfield but Miggy puts in a lot of defensive work too. Be interesting to see how and when Eddie plays ASM, Wilson and Isak together. 

He shares some attributes with Wilson but they seem to have vastly different styles - I think they'll ultimately be able to play together from an attacking perspective. 

Wilson is like a traditional hybrid striker/CF. Often sticks to the central spaces of the pitch to find gaps to get in behind, he likes getting into battles with centre halves, and is adept at linking up but really only to progress play for attacks quickly. Isak seems to be a player who roams for space and likes to get the ball in front of defence as much as trying to get in behind to help build. If we think less about Isak playing RW and him being able to buzz around & off Wilson, typically in central and right areas, then I think that could work. If the midfield stays as it is, I think this will naturally push Willock out wider as well, similar to how Joelinton often overlaps Maxi and he moves in. 

Howe also might go for some sort of 4-4-fucking-2 hybrid as well but can't see that happening as having a midfield 3 is pretty imperative to our defensive structure.

Edited by Gallowgate Toon

10 hours ago, Whitley mag said:

Bet the scouse cunts we’re secretly thinking shite we signed the wrong forward this summer. 

If not now, they soon will be, I think.

What I wasn't expecting to see from Isak on Wednesday was how good he was at holding the ball up. You'd have thought that their defenders would go right through a guy as skinny as that. But he did really well in that area.

30 minutes ago, The College Dropout said:

the first statement is absolute bollocks ! 

played that position most of my footballing life you end up drifting into the middle all of the time the second part is absolutely correct 

The Athletic have been reporting along those lines for awhile. People on here refused to believe that deal could be made so quickly after it went cold initially.

I found this part interesting:

Amid the frantic activity of the winter window, the bulk of negotiations and calls were conducted by Mehrdad Ghodoussi and Jamie Reuben. There was always confidence that Botman wanted to sign, in spite of AC Milan dangling a carrot in front of him and Lille’s attempts to eke out more money in what was an early example of the so-called “Saudi tax”, but Newcastle simply refused to meet the French club’s £37million valuation.

"This insistence on value has become a theme. As Isak demonstrates, just as the £25million they paid for Chris Wood eight months ago does the same, Newcastle are prepared to compromise on price when it is necessary, but the idea that they will throw money around on wages and fees willy-nilly has been banished. Their tough stance worked.

In January, they pivoted to Brighton’s Geordie centre-half Dan Burn, another tall, natural left-footer, but returning for Botman this summer was always the intention, rather than to Diego Carlos, who, at 29, was deemed too old. “It was a big deal for us,” the source says. “The core of any team is its spine and the defence. Dan is fantastic but he’s 30 and we also have to think about the future.” Botman is another prime example of Newcastle’s long-term quest for “push-on” value.

Botman’s arrival was confirmed after Ashworth’s spell on gardening leave came to an end, but that had little to do with the breakthrough, in spite of the sporting director green-lighting their targets. Though Ashworth was involved, the final push in talks again came from Ghodoussi and Reuben, whose uncle, Simon, is understood to have spoken directly with the Ligue 1 club’s ownership. Those personal relationships at the highest level were seen as pivotal.

The deal was eventually concluded at Newcastle’s original price of around £32million. It may have taken longer than they would have liked — Lille requested a delay in the announcement for financial reasons — but it represents another case of the club’s alignment, a favourite word post-takeover. “It was a collective effort, everyone in it together, just the same as on the pitch,” the source says. “That’s at the core of how we work. We never gave up.”

----------------------

We didn't want to pay £37m for Botman. So we signed Burn for £12m, then signed Botman for £32m 6 months later anyway. I get that Botman is a long-term signing but still....

4 minutes ago, The College Dropout said:

The Athletic have been reporting along those lines for awhile. People on here refused to believe that deal could be made so quickly after it went cold initially.

I found this part interesting:

Amid the frantic activity of the winter window, the bulk of negotiations and calls were conducted by Mehrdad Ghodoussi and Jamie Reuben. There was always confidence that Botman wanted to sign, in spite of AC Milan dangling a carrot in front of him and Lille’s attempts to eke out more money in what was an early example of the so-called “Saudi tax”, but Newcastle simply refused to meet the French club’s £37million valuation.

"This insistence on value has become a theme. As Isak demonstrates, just as the £25million they paid for Chris Wood eight months ago does the same, Newcastle are prepared to compromise on price when it is necessary, but the idea that they will throw money around on wages and fees willy-nilly has been banished. Their tough stance worked.

In January, they pivoted to Brighton’s Geordie centre-half Dan Burn, another tall, natural left-footer, but returning for Botman this summer was always the intention, rather than to Diego Carlos, who, at 29, was deemed too old. “It was a big deal for us,” the source says. “The core of any team is its spine and the defence. Dan is fantastic but he’s 30 and we also have to think about the future.” Botman is another prime example of Newcastle’s long-term quest for “push-on” value.

Botman’s arrival was confirmed after Ashworth’s spell on gardening leave came to an end, but that had little to do with the breakthrough, in spite of the sporting director green-lighting their targets. Though Ashworth was involved, the final push in talks again came from Ghodoussi and Reuben, whose uncle, Simon, is understood to have spoken directly with the Ligue 1 club’s ownership. Those personal relationships at the highest level were seen as pivotal.

The deal was eventually concluded at Newcastle’s original price of around £32million. It may have taken longer than they would have liked — Lille requested a delay in the announcement for financial reasons — but it represents another case of the club’s alignment, a favourite word post-takeover. “It was a collective effort, everyone in it together, just the same as on the pitch,” the source says. “That’s at the core of how we work. We never gave up.”

----------------------

We didn't want to pay £37m for Botman. So we signed Burn for £12m, then signed Botman for £32m 6 months later anyway. I get that Botman is a long-term signing but still....

No issue with it myself. If we just buckled and paid, it would cost us more in future on other deals.

Also in Burn we now have a quality centre back as back up so it’s not worked out too badly.

I bet there is loads of nuance left out of the article as its clear from watching Botman and Burn that Burn has some advantages in his playing style over Botman in a tight relegation battle (that never really came). He's more intimidating and physical for now and knew what it takes to succeed in the premier league. I think signing Burn then Botman was overall a better strategy than signing Botman alone for a higher price in Jan.  

1 hour ago, Adam P said:

I bet there is loads of nuance left out of the article as its clear from watching Botman and Burn that Burn has some advantages in his playing style over Botman in a tight relegation battle (that never really came). He's more intimidating and physical for now and knew what it takes to succeed in the premier league. I think signing Burn then Botman was overall a better strategy than signing Botman alone for a higher price in Jan.  

Definitely, it worked out great. Howe wasn't even ready to throw Botman in against Forest after a full pre-season, let alone crucial games in early February. Burn had an instant impact. Was a fucking class signing tbh.