Alexander Isak

Disco

The four that started behind him were absolutely terrible for most of the game, and they didn't consistently get him the ball in good areas or make his life any easier whatsoever.

Love his movement and willingness to move into the channels as well as drop into space. Wasn't great on the ball today, but kept going till the end and worked hard for the team. So much more to come from him. The least of my concerns.

Going forward we will really need better options out wide and better number 8s too. Growing very weary of the players in those positions at the minute and our strikers will suffer for it.

He’s certainly not a back-to-the-goal striker, like. Looked a bit like a newly-born giraffe out there but he’s getting used to a new league and getting his match sharpness back; what he was up against yesterday will have been much different to anything he’ll have experienced on the continent. The guy will need time to adapt.

Edited by McCormick

He looked a bit isolated today, but things gradually improved, particularly after Gordon came on. 

I think he needs a licence to roam, which will mean making sure that we get players moving into scoring positions from the midfield. Wilson tends to just hang around in the centre, and by the last defender. 

He definitely needs players running beyond him. His passing is really good.

Don’t feel like Gordon ever got beyond him or even near him as an option because he was too bothered about overloading the wings, and the wingers were too wide.

Strange performance yesterday.  He looked absolutely hopeless but then he played the exact same role at Anfield earlier in the season and looked class, have been as guilty as anyone calling him for him to start over Wilson recently but yesterday showed why he hasn’t been.

2 hours ago, McCormick said:

He’s certainly not a back-to-the-goal striker, like. Looked a bit like a newly-born giraffe out there but he’s getting used to a new league and getting his match sharpness back; what he was up against yesterday will have been much different to anything he’ll have experienced on the continent. The guy will need time to adapt.

100 percent. Would like to see him in a 2 with Wilson. He’s not gonna be able to hold the ball for us in games like that. Still love him. 

Like a lot of our players I think he'll do better against teams like Liverpool where there's space to attack on the counter. Against teams that sit deep, he's probably better fgetting the ball out wide where he can run at people.

I think Isak's game is pretty flexible, he has the touch and intent to pass & move which suits trying to break down a side sitting back. Has a decent long distance strike on him too. It just requires other players to be on the same page, like pushing up when he moves out of that central space or when to show for a give-and-go.

2 hours ago, Aiston said:

N-O for 6 weeks - "We need Isak starting instead of Wilson!"

N-O after 1 Isak bad performance - "Oh god, we need Wilson back asap!"

Crass over-generalisation, as usual. There was a spectrum of opinion on here. I’ve not seen Wilson play that poorly for us, ever. It’s undeniable that Isak played badly yesterday. Yes, the entire team did; but he contributed. First touch was nowhere, constantly gave the ball away. My slight concern with him at this point - and emphasis on slight, as I know nuance escapes most posters - is that he takes too long to get the ball out of his feet and shoot. 

Guest reefatoon
2 hours ago, Aiston said:

N-O for 6 weeks - "We need Isak starting instead of Wilson!"

N-O after 1 Isak bad performance - "Oh god, we need Wilson back asap!"

[emoji38] aye, so dramatic.

1 hour ago, Theregulars said:

Crass over-generalisation, as usual. There was a spectrum of opinion on here. I’ve not seen Wilson play that poorly for us, ever. It’s undeniable that Isak played badly yesterday. Yes, the entire team did; but he contributed. First touch was nowhere, constantly gave the ball away. My slight concern with him at this point - and emphasis on slight, as I know nuance escapes most posters - is that he takes too long to get the ball out of his feet and shoot. 

Isak is a completely different type of striker that gets more involved in play and so it's going to be far more noticeable when things aren't quite coming off foe him. Wilson tends to just stay high up the pitch.

Because of his play style Isak will need a bit more game time to really get used to the higher tempo in the premier league as well as the physicality, especially having come in from La Liga. Not at all concerned with him. Continue to see enough glimpses of his ability, and it is just a matter of time before it consistently comes together.

5 minutes ago, KaKa said:

Isak is a completely different type of striker that gets more involved in play and so it's going to be far more noticeable when things aren't quite coming off foe him. Wilson tends to just stay high up the pitch.

Because of his play style Isak will need a bit more game time to really get used to the higher tempo in the premier league as well as the physicality, especially having come in from La Liga. Not at all concerned with him. Continue to see enough glimpses of his ability, and it is just a matter of time before it consistently comes together.

I’m not concerned but it’s undeniable that he had a shitter yesterday. Hopefully a one-off as you suggest, but if Wilson is fit next week he starts for me.