Alexander Isak

Disco

Absolutely baffling that we've got a £60m striker who's just banged one in and had another fractionally chalked off away against Liverpool in what, 60 minutes of play time, and here we've got some people advocating sticking him on the wing so we can play Chris Wood up front?

I want Wood to do well as much as anyone, but give your heads a wobble. :lol:

When Wilson is back, there'll be enough for both of them to do. All good teams have more than one decent striker and they find a way to keep them happy.

Isak isn't a right winger, he was played out of position to support Sorloth which is why he had a subpar season numbers wise. He's a striker - why sign a £60M player to play him out of position and inevitably get fans on his back when he's not scoring every game. The future is Isak, not Wilson.

Edited by Menace

When you think Dominic Calvert Lewin and Ivan Toney were both quoted as £50m - paying just £8m more to get someone with Isak's potential and pedigree is an absolute no brainer. 

Just goes to show the value to be had abroad. I'm glad the board have a clear stance not to be seen to be overpaying that English premium. 

Ditto with Gordon vs someone like Diaby. 

Think about how much Bruno cost vs how much someone like Rice would cost. 

1 hour ago, Chris_R said:

Absolutely baffling that we've got a £60m striker who's just banged one in and had another fractionally chalked off away against Liverpool in what, 60 minutes of play time, and here we've got some people advocating sticking him on the wing so we can play Chris Wood up front?

I want Wood to do well as much as anyone, but give your heads a wobble. :lol:

When Wilson is back, there'll be enough for both of them to do. All good teams have more than one decent striker and they find a way to keep them happy.

Has anyone said this? I assume they mean with Wilson? [emoji38]

wood should never start again tbh

Got a feeling Wilson is going to be phased out of the team and squad fairly soon, his fitness issues and the fact he can only really play in 1 position means even if he is fit he isn't no.1 choice in that position. Isak needs to start every game, preferably up top and the RW position will be sorted in January or next summer. Wilson's role will be off the bench whenever he's fit. I like him but it looks like the writing is on the wall for him imo. 

7 minutes ago, midds said:

Got a feeling Wilson is going to be phased out of the team and squad fairly soon, his fitness issues and the fact he can only really play in 1 position means even if he is fit he isn't no.1 choice in that position. Isak needs to start every game, preferably up top and the RW position will be sorted in January or next summer. Wilson's role will be off the bench whenever he's fit. I like him but it looks like the writing is on the wall for him imo. 

I agree but I think he will have a big role as a squad player. I also think his injuries will be easier managed when he's not needed to play every game.

I'd certainly like to see them both on the pitch at times.

The problem with Isak replacing Wilson is that there's no real improvement to the side, Wilson is one of the best strikers in the league. He's strong, good in the air, and can hold off defenders better than Isak too.

Our main RW target was Moussa Diaby, so this idea that we need to replace Almiron with an equally hard working winger doesn't really hold up, wide forwards are often some of the highest scorers, I cannot see why we wouldn't play Isak there when fully fit, he has all of the attributes for it.

29 minutes ago, Hanshithispantz said:

The problem with Isak replacing Wilson is that there's no real improvement to the side, Wilson is one of the best strikers in the league. He's strong, good in the air, and can hold off defenders better than Isak too.

Our main RW target was Moussa Diaby, so this idea that we need to replace Almiron with an equally hard working winger doesn't really hold up, wide forwards are often some of the highest scorers, I cannot see why we wouldn't play Isak there when fully fit, he has all of the attributes for it.

Have to disagree, I think Isak is a big upgrade on Wilson. Wilson's a class poacher, but off the ball he offers little. 

Have we ever had a forward like Isak? He gets called a unicorn player for good reason. I don’t know much about his record on heading the ball but I imagine it’s an area he can improve on as younger strikers are often weaker in that area (Andy Carroll aside)

Howe absolutely loves Wilson; I can see him starting whenever he's fit. 

Really curious that the boss has something in mind to play them both and effectively. Potentially goals all day if there's a way to make it work and get the best out of both of them.