Alexander Isak

Disco

He got 25 in a very disrupted season as a team, albeit Gordon and Bruno played for almost all of it (our other two best players).  Add in Tonali and Joelinton for the season, and an upgrade on Murphy/Almiron and I think his stats would have been on whole new level again. 

Very exciting to think what they can do next season, assuming no injury nightmares. 

23 hours ago, Palace fan said:

Search me.  Didn't have a clue he had this in him and it surely can't be sustainable as that would make him a slightly better version of Drogba. His shooting accuracy stats though are kind of curious in that respect - can't all be confidence. 

Improvement partly down to the fact he's receiving the ball 30 yards nearer the goal. Also noteworthy that Glasner has form here: Kolo Muani went from relatively humdrum to lethal when he rocked up at Eintract and now looks just okay imo at PSG. He plays a system that focusses on getting the ball to the CF in good positions. Sounds simple no?

His finishing has looked good that's the thing. Still not sure he's the real deal, but the way he's been putting them away hasn't looked like a fluke. Those finishes have been precision.

22 hours ago, Lush Vlad said:

Hopefully Howe has a word with Glasner :lol: 

Isak and Wilson have still been fairly prolific when fit and playing. Plus I’m sure a lot of it is to do with personnel available. But I watch a lot of games where I feel like our 9 is isolated and we’re not getting them the service or involved enough. 

Service is definitely a factor here. Olise and Eze play as 10s with him as the point of the triangle. It was frankly miraculous to watch how co-ordinated the attacking patterns were - generally set in motion by One-touch Wharton. Quality of players helps of course but mostly elite management in my book.

Would have thought that a similar system would work for you and that the missing piece of the jigsaw might not be a wide player right but someone to play narrower - feel sure that Gordon has that within his game on the other side. Need overlapping wingbacks to really make it pay but Livramento and Hall should have that within their toolset after all. 

13 hours ago, Palace fan said:

Service is definitely a factor here. Olise and Eze play as 10s with him as the point of the triangle. It was frankly miraculous to watch how co-ordinated the attacking patterns were - generally set in motion by One-touch Wharton. Quality of players helps of course but mostly elite management in my book.

Would have thought that a similar system would work for you and that the missing piece of the jigsaw might not be a wide player right but someone to play narrower - feel sure that Gordon has that within his game on the other side. Need overlapping wingbacks to really make it pay but Livramento and Hall should have that within their toolset after all. 

Agree, I think the weakest point of Howe's set up is that our wingers often stay very wide in passy passy phases leaving our striker very isolated and it become very difficult to move the ball forward through the middle. It's a bit like we're set up to counter even when we want to do more posession-based stuff.

A legit playmaker on the right could do a lot for us.

18 hours ago, TRon said:

His finishing has looked good that's the thing. Still not sure he's the real deal, but the way he's been putting them away hasn't looked like a fluke. Those finishes have been precision.

I think goals scored versus xG can be useful. A player who consistently over-performs his xG is a good finisher (eg. Son), a player who does it one season out of many is probably just in a purple patch (eg. Nunez)

Mateta had some decent underlying data for a while before he caught fire. Some of that is the system, players around him but it's also movement and anticipation.

I used to think he was a solid but unspectacular finisher. I think against Liverpool he had one saved on the line but IMO it was the wrong shot selection, that dink he did gave the Liverpool defender a chance to prevent it. I thought that kind of thing was why he was a good/solid midtable striker but no more (like a Chris Wood). But in the last few weeks he's been making the right decisions, his technique and composure always looked good to me but obviously improves a bit with confidence. Will be interesting to see how he gets on next season. Definitely think it's a purple patch but I suspect he'll continue to be a good striker going forward.

I always liked Wissa as well. I think he's getting better season-on-season. Under good managers and clubs midtable strikers can really kick-on.

Posted (edited)

Looking at Mateta's career stats he's score 65 league goals from 65.8 xG, so his finishing overall has been fine.

His base goals per game in past years looks terrible, but he hadn't actually played many minutes.

I agree he's been on a particular hot streak and he'll cool a bit (16 goals from 11 xG this year is unsustainable unless you're one of the greatest finishers in history, which he probably isn't), but as usual, if you make plenty of chances your striker will probably score plenty of goals.

https://fbref.com/en/players/50e6dc35/dom_lg/Jean-Philippe-Mateta-Domestic-League-Stats

Gotta say it's nice when a guy who's been struggling for a bit comes good.

EDIT: Also, as TCD mentions, things like movement/anticipation - qualities that get you in the position to have the xG in the first place are very important. I don't really know how he stands here.

Edited by Checko

• 2 weeks later...

We’ve been “told” by Frank McAvennie to accept offers for Isak… because Wilson is a “ready made replacement”. Seriously, when the IQ is this low you have to consider likely cognitive decline affecting the hippocampus and cerebral cortex, and you should be weighing up assisted living options. Harsh but this is a really really stupid opinion. 

10 minutes ago, BeloEmre said:

No problem when Wilson can replace Isak 🤩

IMG_7598.png

Imagine being in the same room as him when he said this? You'd basically just be pointing at him and laughing. 

I hereby put Liverpool on notice to accept any offers for Allison because Kelleher will provide a ready-made replacement for him.

Posted (edited)

So the ready-made replacement for Isak is the man who Isak was bought to replace? Fucking genius.

Who's his ready-made replacement for Bruno, Sean Longstaff?

Seems pointless buying players really when you already have players.

Edited by Chris_R

52 minutes ago, gbandit said:

:lol: can we get some more articles that feature Frank McAvennie? Searing analysis that cuts through the bullshit

It’s like the day today 😀

1 hour ago, BeloEmre said:

No problem when Wilson can replace Isak 🤩

IMG_7598.png

"Newcastle ordered by Premier League to give Isak and Bruno to Arsenal for free"

Frank McAvennie writing articles about himself in the 3rd person. Easiest job going, any amount of articles from that gig [emoji38]

"Im very, very happy at Newcastle. I’ve just had the best season of my career, that shouldnt be underestimated. I love everything about the club, the fans, they city.

I haven't thought about moving at all, or anything of the sorts. Im very happy here and satisfied with my life"

Roughly translated from his press conference with Sweden.