How would you rate the Transfer Window?

Rate the Window.  

326 members have voted

1. 1. How would you rate the transfer window?

Isak is the most expensive player ever signed by a non-Top 6 club. 

One or two more would have been nice, but the performances against City and Liverpool suggest our current players are better than we give them credit for, at least in the (clearly working) system we are playing. We'll soon get to see them against lesser opposition with Isak, Wilson, or Isak and Wilson in the team. Our form in 2022 is fourth in the league, with a tiny percentage of that playing time with either Wilson or Isak on the pitch. With Lascelles and Burn at CB and no Bruno in midfield, we held Liverpool to fewer shots on target at their place than Real Madrid did in the CL final three months ago.

Our perspective has been coloured by a) heightened expectations that we'd go nuts now that we're minted; b) heightened expectations that we'd make a concerted push to break the Top 6/European qualifying positions this year (not really borne out by statements and interviews by the club - the runway seems to be five years); c) concerns that our real superstars will lose faith in the project if not immediately surrounded by fellow superstars (more emotive speculation than anything - we have brought in Botman and Isak to prove to Guimares that we are on a serious trajectory); and d) the sudden injury crisis that has just coincided with the transfer window resulting in expectations of panic buys.

What the club's dealings has actually shown is that: a) they have a plan, and certain targets in mind that fit a certain style of play, and character to build a "good" club; b) they won't panic buy to just plug a gap, and thereby deviate from their list of long-term targets (apart from Wood, who was a "panic buy" in the context of where we were in January, but has paid off for us regardless of what anyone says); c) they won't be held over a barrel over fees, either by clubs, or by agents.

Bottom line? We have brought in Kieran Trippier; Sven Botman; Nick Pope; Bruno Guimares; Matt Targett; and Alexander Isak in the past eight months. This is great business if you apply it to any other club. This is insane business if you apply it to Newcastle United, who one year ago, could not afford Hamza Choudhury on loan. These players have not just resulted in a massive improvement on the pitch, but a sea change in the character and likeability of the club off the pitch. I'd like to think they were scouted precisely for their leadership and character, in addition to their playing skills.

Injuries are injuries - if ASM, Bruno and Wilson had taken their knocks outside of the transfer window, we'd just have gone with the flow. What it did help was to emphasise that we lack depth, and I am confident that over the next few years, contract attrition and more astute buys will rectify that. Quality, young, hungry players to replace the likes of Ritchie, Murphy, Manquillo (and later, Shelvey and Wilson). 

It's easy to lose sight of the big picture in all the hubbub and excitement of last-day-of-the-window business, and get disappointed that we didn't sign anyone yesterday. But if we appreciate how the people now in charge of the club are doing things, and have a finger on the pulse of how they intend to build an amazing, sustainably-run club, it becomes apparent that we have conducted ourselves perfectly in the market, and that our executive team are conducting themselves professionally and with the interests of the club foremost in their mind. 

Nottingham Forest signing 3244 players may be exciting, but I'd take a solid, methodical approach any day. Our future is in excellent hands. But we need to take the long view and be patient and United.

3 minutes ago, Emotic said:

Our perspective has been coloured by a) heightened expectations that we'd go nuts now that we're minted; b) heightened expectations that we'd make a concerted push to break the Top 6/European qualifying positions this year (not really borne out by statements and interviews by the club - the runway seems to be five years); c) concerns that our real superstars will lose faith in the project if not immediately surrounded by fellow superstars (more emotive speculation than anything - we have brought in Botman and Isak to prove to Guimares that we are on a serious trajectory); and d) the sudden injury crisis that has just coincided with the transfer window resulting in expectations of panic buys.

What the club's dealings has actually shown is that: a) they have a plan, and certain targets in mind that fit a certain style of play, and character to build a "good" club; b) they won't panic buy to just plug a gap, and thereby deviate from their list of long-term targets (apart from Wood, who was a "panic buy" in the context of where we were in January, but has paid off for us regardless of what anyone says); c) they won't be held over a barrel over fees, either by clubs, or by agents.

Bottom line? We have brought in Kieran Trippier; Sven Botman; Nick Pope; Bruno Guimares; Matt Targett; and Alexander Isak in the past eight months. This is great business if you apply it to any other club. This is insane business if you apply it to Newcastle United, who one year ago, could not afford Hamza Choudhury on loan. These players have not just resulted in a massive improvement on the pitch, but a sea change in the character and likeability of the club off the pitch. I'd like to think they were scouted precisely for their leadership and character, in addition to their playing skills.

Injuries are injuries - if ASM, Bruno and Wilson had taken their knocks outside of the transfer window, we'd just have gone with the flow. What it did help was to emphasise that we lack depth, and I am confident that over the next few years, contract attrition and more astute buys will rectify that. Quality, young, hungry players to replace the likes of Ritchie, Murphy, Manquillo (and later, Shelvey and Wilson). 

It's easy to lose sight of the big picture in all the hubbub and excitement of last-day-of-the-window business, and get disappointed that we didn't sign anyone yesterday. But if we appreciate how the people now in charge of the club are doing things, and have a finger on the pulse of how they intend to build an amazing, sustainably-run club, it becomes apparent that we have conducted ourselves perfectly in the market, and that our executive team are conducting themselves professionally and with the interests of the club foremost in their mind. 

Nottingham Forest signing 3244 players may be exciting, but I'd take a solid, methodical approach any day. Our future is in excellent hands. But we need to take the long view and be patient and United.

Great take on it but you missed out BDB.

This has been an amazing transfer window.  We are building with quality players on and off the pitch.  It will take some time to build depth.  Newcastle is moving in the right direction and couldn’t be more proud to say I’m a Newcastle supporter.  Honestly I am from the states and began to love the club because of the fans.  Everyone including @worflags makes this person from abroad feel extremely proud to claim to be a Newcastle supporter.  I can only dream of what you are able to do on a regular basis.  Experience St James  and the support of the crowd.  On TV it is amazing.  I share the ups and downs with you.  Please support the team even more on Saturday and cheer for me and many others who couldn’t have the opportunity to be there.  Newcastle is different.   Newcastle is family.

I would've rated it 9/10 if we hadn't lost Dubravka. It was frustrating that transfers for the likes of Ekitike, Diaby, Paketa, Maddison fell through but getting Isak is already looking like a coup. However I do feel that we still have weaknesses to address of we want to challenge for the Top 6

Edited by DebuchyAndTheBeast

Great window..Isak is the icing on the cake. We are playing as a team with everyone knowing their jobs…aye there’ll be stumbles but we’re heading in the right direction. Botman hasn’t even settled in properly yet but still looks classy and his passing is spot on. Aye in an ideal world, maybe a winger and a CM player but it’ll all come together. Small steps, enjoy the ride. And me personally, I love that we’re now winding other fans and managers up….fuck them 😊

8 or 9 out of 10 for me.  Strengthening the back line - GK, LB, CB - made perfect sense to me.  We look so much better at the back, that it isn't causing the ripples of panic elsewhere - we aren't having to play as deep.  We now have our average players looking ... average.  Which doesn't sound like much, but they were utter shite under Bruce.

Adding Isak gets into 9 out of 10 territory to me.  I would've liked to see a RW, but you can't have everything.

I suspect those most disappointed may be those who really did think that massive - rather than large - sums were about to be dropped on the squad.  Staveley said 50m above what the club could have spent on its own each window for two and a half years - and based upon what we've spent, those sums look about right to me.  NUFC with its current revenue streams should be able to drop c.50m per window on transfers.  Might be time for some to actually listen to what the club are saying - more evolution than revolution.  The fact that Howe has done an outstanding coaching job has probably pushed up expectations even further.

To be honest if we will buy again in January then it’s just 13 league games, and we have played the best two teams in the league already.

No need to panic. We are no longer under Ashley. These signings are not one-off.

9 minutes ago, Cattletrucked said:

Great window..Isak is the icing on the cake. We are playing as a team with everyone knowing their jobs…aye there’ll be stumbles but we’re heading in the right direction. Botman hasn’t even settled in properly yet but still looks classy and his passing is spot on. Aye in an ideal world, maybe a winger and a CM player but it’ll all come together. Small steps, enjoy the ride. And me personally, I love that we’re now winding other fans and managers up….fuck them 😊

I love Botman's fast-paced passes first time from the back.  Laser-focused accuracy they have.  I'd call them drilled, but that wouldn't be accurate.  If he gets used to the pace of the game in England (no reason to doubt that he will), he looks like he'll develop into an outstanding centre half.  In the longer term, I think we'll need a pacy partner for him at the back.

7 minutes ago, TheBrownBottle said:

I suspect those most disappointed may be those who really did think that massive - rather than large - sums were about to be dropped on the squad.  Staveley said 50m above what the club could have spent on its own each window for two and a half years - and based upon what we've spent, those sums look about right to me.  NUFC with its current revenue streams should be able to drop c.50m per window on transfers.  Might be time for some to actually listen to what the club are saying - more evolution than revolution.  The fact that Howe has done an outstanding coaching job has probably pushed up expectations even further.

I don't think that's true tbh, I think we spent at least as much as I expected us to, would have no issue with the total amount of outlay, it has been what, £200m in two windows? That's fantastic tbh.

My only concern is we didn't end up using the loan market to plug the one or two gaps we thought were weak prior to the window opening. One of them was addressed spectacularly with the signing of Isak who looks like he might be even better than we dared hope. But reality is we might still be starting Willock/Longstaff and Almiron in a lot of games unless Wilson stays fit. They have all bust a gut when they are playing so no complaints there, but not quite producing the quality which makes the difference to win tight games. Still, maybe Eddie thinks he can get that extra 10% out of them over the next few months, and tbf, if anyone can, it's him.

7 hours ago, mighty__mag said:

I'm not tool arsed about right wing/right mid. I think at some point when all are fit, we'll line up with three forwards and Isak will do a job no problem in a wide attacking role.

It will also free up ASM, as teams will have too much to worry about with Isak and Wilson.

This window has been class in my opinion. With all our best players fit and available, we'll be a match for anyone.

Screenshot_20220902-002208_Chrome.jpg

Imagine showing someone that lineup just over a year ago. 

You'd be sectioned. 

7/10 but I'm not complaining in any way. I have full confidence in Eddie and the owners. 

I've mentioned many times in the summer that I expected a bigger outlay from PIF and to basically join in the mockery of FFP. Seems like we chose to play by the rules instead and stuck to our principles, which is good for the long term. 

Best couple of windows we’ve had for twenty odd years?  Can’t complain about anything really. Club is finally being ran by professionals who appear to genuinely care about it and the supporters. 

Some strange expectations creeping in to our fanbase. Must be the Manchester effect. 

Went for a 9. Adding players like Pope, Botman and Isak a long side Targett leaves us in a far stronger position than we ended the season in. 

I really wanted a rw upgrade to give teams something else to think about other than ASM but no one can argue we’re not moving in the right direction as a club and it’s fantastic to witness. 

I wasn’t too bothered about adding another cm because I think both Willock and Longstaff can improve a lot despite the laters flaws. It also means Anderson might get some valuable game time. 

3 hours ago, jwclark2342 said:

This has been an amazing transfer window.  We are building with quality players on and off the pitch.  It will take some time to build depth.  Newcastle is moving in the right direction and couldn’t be more proud to say I’m a Newcastle supporter.  Honestly I am from the states and began to love the club because of the fans.  Everyone including @worflags makes this person from abroad feel extremely proud to claim to be a Newcastle supporter.  I can only dream of what you are able to do on a regular basis.  Experience St James  and the support of the crowd.  On TV it is amazing.  I share the ups and downs with you.  Please support the team even more on Saturday and cheer for me and many others who couldn’t have the opportunity to be there.  Newcastle is different.   Newcastle is family.

What ‘we’ are able to do. Welcome to the family bonny lad 🤜🏻
p.s. and I will do; and raise a glass to you and the absence majority.