How would you rate the Transfer Window?

Rate the Window.  

326 members have voted

1. 1. How would you rate the transfer window?

54 minutes ago, Shearergol said:

Other than Liverpool and Man City, which other clubs can lose their front 3 and have quality coming in? Genuine question, not a dig at you.

Fair point/question and truthfully I have no good answer. A decade of ignoring football means I've no idea who plays for half the teams in the league :lol:

I do however think it was plain as day entering the window that we had a real lack of quality attacking players and to only come away with one attacker is a bit of a disappointment and we're gonna be short because of it. Of course, that's certainly mitigated by that one player being a huge prospect like Isak. The fact that Almiron doesn't look completely hopeless this year is a real bonus, too.

I do think quality over quantity is the way to go and the good news is that if we can add a couple of Botman/Isak level talents every window (like we also did with Trips and Bruno the previous window) while picking up solid players for good deals like we did Targett and Pope we'll have a pretty formidable team and squad by this time next year.

7.5/10. 

Happy with the players we’ve signed, but the decision not to prioritise a quality wide player is puzzling.

The options off the bench are still poor, most aren’t even good enough for this level in general.

It will take time, but a couple loans in some areas to tide us over until next summer would have been preferable.

Have to hope we stay relatively injury-free and that Howe can continue getting strong performances and results from the squad.

8/10 for me. 

The Manager and his team are doing a great job.

The improvement since Howe took over from the fraud is magnificent. 

We are a club on the up and we have 14 years to make up.

We have waited a long time for this hope and ambition.

Time is on our side now.

Good times are coming.

9/10 

Alexander fucking Isak man. Club record.

Botman is a tank. 

Pope is a revelation.

Only 13 games til the next transfer window.

Patience is a virtue. 

Edited by Izakaya

8/10 

I think it's been a great window. Still can't believe we got Isak.

I know we are short in a couple of positions, but hopefully will sort that out in January.

I just love the patient approach we are taking. We are getting quality players in now, glad we aren't adopting the Forest approach. 

Think we have enough to finish 7th or 8th, which would be a good season imo.

8 for me, chiefly because there is a lot to love about the quality of our signings this summer as well as our approach to recruitment overall. It all bodes really well for the future. 

Do think we were 1 further marquee signing away from the window being a phenomenal one, mind, but very hard to assess without a complete insight into all of the financial factors especially that will set the parameters of how quickly we're able to progress in the market. 

36 minutes ago, Dancing Brave said:

8/10 for me. 

The Manager and his team are doing a great job.

The improvement since Howe took over from the fraud is magnificent. 

We are a club on the up and we have 14 years to make up.

We have waited a long time for this hope and ambition.

Time is on our side now.

Good times are coming.

That's a double edged sword for me. He's doing so well with what we have I'd love to see him with better equipment.

Though the day will come and at the current rate would only be another couple windows, though I expect it'll be one or two from here.

8/10 we've made some quality additions, Isak is a very exciting prospect and the additions at the back will see us solid to beat. Shame we couldn't bring any more attacking talent in. However, when all fit our starting 11 will give every team a hell of a game.

8.5/10 seems fair.

8 seems too harsh after the Isak signing, 9 feels too generous after only signing one attacking player. We would be fine if Wilson and ASM stay fit but that’s not very likely and we are still seeing Wood and especially Murphy being the first options from the bench.

Edited by Pata

2 hours ago, Ronaldo said:

An 8 is about right in the context of the club’s ambition. 

I count 7-8 very good players who are exactly what we need for the next few years, a handful who are acceptable for now, and a load of crap who shouldn’t really be in PL squad. It’s a transition and we’ve made good strides but there’s still too much residue from the Bruce years and beforehand - if I’m being hypercritical. 

TBF Joeinton, ASM, Willock, Krafth and Wilson were all signed under Bruce. There is Lewis, but most of the deadwood was the third rate shit Rafa had to settle for.

One thing I was thinking about when wondering about the bigger picture is how many clubs have we now moved beyond in terms of ambition and squad quality? We lack in depth but some of the clubs we could only really aspire to be like under Ashley since we returned to the PL in 2017 like Everton, Leicester, Wolves; do we have a better starting XI than those now, when everyone is fit? Everton certainly, Leicester perhaps given what's been going on there this summer and the state of them so far, Wolves probably to a far lesser extent but they do look toothless. West Ham we'll be competing with this season so probably not them yet.

Just mad how much it's all changed.

Edited by HaydnNUFC

1 hour ago, madras said:

I agree in general but maybe its time to stop comparing back to Ashley ? Ashley or not its been a very good window, 4 first XI upgrades (including Targett), 2 of them young with sky high ceilings. You can see the plan, you can see the build, you can see it on the pitch.

I've no doubt we could have got improvements on the couple of positions we all know, but the clubs mindset is to get the right fit, and I love that the character of the player is massively important.

Not only that, we've seen the type of character they look for. And it's not bad.

I was an 8 or a 9. I went 9, as I didn’t think we’d sign Botman. Pope was a pleasant surprise after all my mates from round here were saying we should sign him. Isak was proper out the blue. 

I think we are a CM light and could do with another genuine wide option. But Rome wasn’t built in a day. 

Howe has already shown he can get a tune out of most of this squad. Things are looking up. 

8 - The quality of players is exactly what I want to see. Isak being absolutely top draw. Dubravka being let go on loan, leaving Darlow as our back up keeper, as well as not signing anyone (youngster, loan etc) for priority positions RF and CM weren't fantastic though. We now have a great first team but still no options off the bench to change a game. Hopefully we won't suffer an injury crisis which leaves us with the options we had against Liverpool.

Edited by Skeletor

We've signed one of the best goalkeepers in the league, one of the best central defensive prospects in Europe, and one of the highest rated forwards in the world.

I'd have loved a right winger, but fucking hell it's been a very good window. We had so much to do, doing it all at once would be impossible.

I'd say 7. Very happy with the 3 or 4 players coming in, but at the same time, naturally, you always want one more, and I'd have been stunned if someone said on June 28th when we signed Botman that we'd only bring in one extra player in the forthcoming 2 and a bit months, even if it was a club record signing. Definitely a few other positions we could have strengthened, and the squad depth is pretty weak as we are starting to notice with a few key injuries here and there. But then again, it is 8 new signings since January and around 200m, so too many more could have been counterproductive, it's just unfortunate that our squad was very poor this time a year ago, and so much work was needed for the XI and beyond.

We also can't control what everyone else is spending, but West Ham adding £180m or so to a squad that already 6th and 7th in the past two years is a little bit deflating. You think big Saudi takeover, other clubs forums concerned, we're bound to trouble the top clubs in a few years (if we stayed up), but they've kind of spent as much in this window alone as we have since January, and from a much better starting point as well, so it will take longer to surpass even them, let alone the top 6.

One other thing. We have made a solid start to the season, a second away from still being unbeaten despite a tough set of opening fixtures, and to have played both City and Liverpool and have still have a + GD at this stage is quite incredible, but at the same time, if we fail to beat Palace on Saturday, we would be going into a tough away game against West Ham the following week without a win in 5 matches, which could sharp become 6, and then there probably will be a few posts saying WTF didn't we sign XYZ etc. On the other hand, if we were to beat Palace then it would look a lot rosier. 

Edited by Paullow

10 minutes ago, Paullow said:

I'd say 7. Very happy with the 3 or 4 players coming in, but at the same time, naturally, you always want one more, and I'd have been stunned if someone said on June 28th when we signed Botman that we'd only bring in one extra player in the forthcoming 2 and a bit months, even if it was a club record signing. Definitely a few other positions we could have strengthened, and the squad depth is pretty weak as we are starting to notice with a few key injuries here and there. But then again, it is 8 new signings since January and around 200m, so too many more could have been counterproductive, it's just unfortunate that our squad was very poor this time a year ago, and so much work was needed for the XI and beyond.

We also can't control what everyone else is spending, but West Ham adding £180m or so to a squad that already 6th and 7th in the past two years is a little bit deflating. You think big Saudi takeover, other clubs forums concerned, we're bound to trouble the top clubs in a few years (if we stayed up), but they've kind of spent as much in this window alone as we have since January, and from a much better starting point as well, so it will take longer to surpass even them, let alone the top 6.

One other thing. We have made a solid start to the season, a second away from still being unbeaten despite a tough set of opening fixtures, and to have played both City and Liverpool and have still have a + GD at this stage is quite incredible, but at the same time, if we fail to beat Palace on Saturday, we would be going into a tough away game against West Ham the following week without a win in 5 matches, which could sharp become 6, and then there probably will be a few posts saying WTF didn't we sign XYZ etc. On the other hand, if we were to beat Palace then it would look a lot rosier. 

Very fair points which I agree with. :thup:

I'm not tool arsed about right wing/right mid. I think at some point when all are fit, we'll line up with three forwards and Isak will do a job no problem in a wide attacking role.

It will also free up ASM, as teams will have too much to worry about with Isak and Wilson.

This window has been class in my opinion. With all our best players fit and available, we'll be a match for anyone.

Screenshot_20220902-002208_Chrome.jpg

Edited by mighty__mag