Newcastle United 5-1 Brentford (08/10/2022)

Disco

9 minutes ago, geordie_b said:

Looking forward to watching this again tonight as can’t work out if we were actually any good today. Initial reaction coming out the ground was that it was the most meh 5-1 I’ve ever seen

(Reaction probably not helped by Gateshead being in gridlock pre game and missing kickoff. Ridiculous idea to rearrange the junior GNR events for a match day and close the quayside roads on both sides)

We were good but Brentford handed 2-3 goals on a plate which exaggerated the score. That said our press and intensity does force teams into mistakes.

1 minute ago, ponsaelius said:

We were good but Brentford handed 2-3 goals on a plate which exaggerated the score. That said our press and intensity does force teams into mistakes.

They weren't entirely unforced errors, even if they had a nightmare defensively; there's credit for us to take.

3 minutes ago, ponsaelius said:

Rubbish.  We totally controlled that game and although a couple of goals came from errors, we were more than deserving of the 5-1 scoreline.  I even thought their penalty was a bit dodgy. 

4 minutes ago, Lenny said:

They weren't entirely unforced errors, even if they had a nightmare defensively; there's credit for us to take.

Mee and Ajer are considered two of the best CBs outside the top 6, for ball control, they were both big signings for Brentford [wjen they signed Ajer without us even entering the discussion, it smacked of our lack of ambition]. the fact we put them under the pressure that led to 3 errors is indicativ of where we are.

6 minutes ago, Rod said:

Rubbish.  We totally controlled that game and although a couple of goals came from errors, we were more than deserving of the 5-1 scoreline.  I even thought their penalty was a bit dodgy. 

Exactly! How many times in the last three years have we forced errors in the opposition's penalty box?

Just now, Happinesstan said:

And now you've gotta believe us...

I will never believe it myself, so if it ever happens...? 'kin 'ell.

I know we did [3 times] and he fact my love affair with the club began when we were at that level, being the best of the second best has always turned out to be adequate. But it's not a title to defend.

1 hour ago, Lenny said:

This. Under Bruce, those goals never happen because we allowed teams to casually play it out and around us. I'm so, so, fucking glad that the days of us being a soft touch are well and truly gone.

9 minutes ago, Infatuation Junkie said:

Great result and great atmosphere L.

My sons opinion though. 
We are zero threat from corners or crosses.

This was the insight of my 8yr old lad today. 

I thought we were really inventive from set pieces today. I realise I'm arguing with a bairn's opinion here. 

Late to post but my thoughts:

I actually thought we played better against Palace and Bournemouth at times. The difference was that Frank didn't play a low block, which is suicide against us.

If you sit behind the ball and ask us to break you down, then we might struggle but if you open up and leave spaces we work the ball very well.

They gifted us 3 goals but you have to take into account the sheer persistence of our pressure. In this league, if you want to play out from the back, you need to be bloody good or it can cost you. Ultimately Brentford had Mee and Ajer trying to play out and thats crackers in reality.

Wilson should have had 2 goals today, let's hope he saving them for Old Trafford.